IGNORED

Why do people want preacher/priest on funeral ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 9/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, Amazing Horse said:

Why do people want to pray for somebody that just died when it does not help him . He is either in Hell or Heaven right after he died so why would they require priest to come to funeral to pray for that dead person ?

A lot of people in this world who really are not Christians think that will help the person who has died. We know it will not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Most people will say " I know that they are in a much better place". What is they are not? People do not want to hear that. If we know a person was a born again Christian it brings us joy but if they were not? People are in denial. Why spend thousands on a very expensive casket and then thousands more for an elaborate funeral or memorial service? Why not just have a grave side service with prayers. Would save a lot of money.

I didn't even know that a church charges for a memorial service for its members.   I have no problem with a cheap casket or cremation.  But a lot of people won't attend a graveside service if we are trying to reach the lost.  Don't believe in spending a lot.  Some people are lavish due to guilt.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

10 minutes ago, Willa said:

Amen, Friend.  Would be honored to do so.  "No good thing lies in me"   We are but a lump of clay and Jesus is the treasure residing in us. Reminds me of another though.  An Irish ancestor had on her tombstone, "Faithful to the end."  

Willa this reminds me of one of the last things paul wrote.   HE believed his end was near.   He was writing the peoples

and HE DID NOT SOUND SCARED at the least.  HE sounded encouraged and so encouraging to others.  to timothy he said

For I am now ready to be Offered and the time of my depature is at hand

I have fought a good fight , I have finished my course, I have kept the FAITH, henceforth the crown awaits me , which the LORD shall give me on that day

and not just to me, but to ALL WHO LOVED HIS APPEARING.        THAT SOUNDS LIKE A MAN WHO GRACE HAD TRULY CHANGED

and his hope, all affections were above ON THE ONE WHO HAD SAVED HIM.     ITS BEAUTFIFUL.  they knew , they knew

how truly wonderful the gift of salvation was.  IT WAS JUST that they had been forgiven and saved, THEY LOVED THE LORD FOR THAT ALONE

and it mattered not how much they had tosuffer for his name sake.  WILLA..........they saw it as GAIN , they saw such beauty , such hope in the LORD

but when one truly knows the LORD..they KNOW they never deserved anything but the lake of fire  YET BY GRACE ITS ETERNAL LIFE INSTEAD

that makes a heart HAPPY no matter what it has to lose or what hardship comes agisnt that person.....WILLA THEY FREE AND HAVE JOY . NO FEAR OF DEATH

just JOY IN HIS SAVLATION.  OH man I could sing this all night .  I am so sorry so many have lostthe  JOY OF HIS SALVATOIN, desire of riches or some lust has

choked the real joy and hope right out of them . ME I don't care if I lose everything in this world.   SO LONG as I HAVE CHRIST ......WILL I HAVE JOY AMEN.

27 minutes ago, Willa said:

I didn't even know that a church charges for a memorial service for its members.   I have no problem with a cheap casket or cremation.  But a lot of people won't attend a graveside service if we are trying to reach the lost.  Don't believe in spending a lot.  Some people are lavish due to guilt.  

If a family member or good friend will not attend a grave side service that is their problem. Guilt could have something to do with it. Or materialism. They certainly are not doing it for the person who has died.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, Amazing Horse said:

Why do people want to pray for somebody that just died when it does not help him . He is either in Hell or Heaven right after he died so why would they require priest to come to funeral to pray for that dead person ?

I don't think I've ever been to a funeral where they prayed for the dead person......    

I did attend a funeral for an uncle who was one of the most evil people I ever met.....    Preacher looked his kids in the eye and told them that their dad was burning in hell at the moment and if they didn't change they were on the road to be with him....    as far as I know they didn't listen.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 9/6/2017 at 5:56 PM, Amazing Horse said:

When you state priest I presume you are referring to  some long standing Roman Catholic rituals and precepts, and even commands regarding death. In recent decades much of that has changed.

The ritual of a rosary for example has changed. Priests don't like going to a funeral home and leading a rosary, especially when more than half the people present are not Roman Catholic and do not know the responses to that prayer. The Rosary has been replaced and the Mass is changed somewhat too. The concept of a Christian burial rite has replaced much of the ceremony and the attitude of that  particular church. Rosary is more often led by a lay person  instead of a priest.

The RCC does believe in prayer for the dead for the benefit of the dead, but I will not go into that nor debate it. I just do not accept it's premise.

The RCC has changed even as the rites of other groups have changed to more of a life celebration (instead of a mourning) and a sharing of the assurance of the gospel of Jesus. Seems to me a lot of happy talk occurs that is not especially beneficial in dealing with grief, nor in sharing of the gospel, the celebration being near useless as theology,  and it all becomes a fools goal as to a manner of grieving or of avoiding grief altogether.

The date specific manner of dealing with grief that  is common to many Jews is  I think a reasonable and a very helpful manner of accepting both life and death.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

On 9/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, missmuffet said:

There is a story about a very old tombstone bearing the epitaph:

Pause, stranger, when you pass me by

As you are now, so once was I

As I am now, so you will be

So prepare for death and follow me

someone came along and scratched a reply underneath:

To follow you I'm not content

Until I know which way you went.

That was a good reply to the epitaph.  Here is another story I once heard . . . . .

A really bad mafia guy died, his brother went to the priest at the funeral and offered him a large donation if he said something good about his deceased brother, (and possible rough stuff if he didn't).  The priest new both of the brothers were really bad and he thought about it and agreed to say something good.  When it came time to speak, he said . . . . . compared to his brother, this man was a saint!   

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, 1x1is1 said:

That was a good reply to the epitaph.  Here is another story I once heard . . . . .

A really bad mafia guy died, his brother went to the priest at the funeral and offered him a large donation if he said something good about his deceased brother, (and possible rough stuff if he didn't).  The priest new both of the brothers were really bad and he thought about it and agreed to say something good.  When it came time to speak, he said . . . . . compared to his brother, this man was a saint!   

:)