• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  2

10 minutes ago, Butero said:

It is not true that no Christians follow the Old Testament except when something is re-affirmed in the New Testament.  Many of us follow all the moral laws, and the law forbidding graven images falls into that category.  Praying to statues is sinful in the eyes of God.  

Some Christians do see the Catholic Church as the whore of Babylon.  I wouldn't go that far, but they do teach things that are wrong.  They mix pagan practices with Christianity.  There isn't absolute unity in the Catholic Church.  There is inner fighting over a lot of issues.  

I remember in the past, you were spending time defending the Catholic Church.  Is the church you are going to a Catholic Church?  

There is a Catholic Church in walking distance that I go to sometimes.  I feel the presence of God strongly there.  It is a Latin Mass and seems very sacred.

I don't know that the Catholic Church is the true Church, and I disagree with some of what Catholics do and believe, but the Church preaches that Jesus is Lord, reads the scriptures at Mass, believes the Bible is God's word, believes in one God, believes Christ is risen.

I think it's clear that a devout Catholic is saved.  The Catholic Church teaches what is needed for salvation:

Romans 10:9 

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

9 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

There is a Catholic Church in walking distance that I go to sometimes.  I feel the presence of God strongly there.  It is a Latin Mass and seems very sacred.

I don't know that the Catholic Church is the true Church, and I disagree with some of what Catholics do and believe, but the Church preaches that Jesus is Lord, reads the scriptures at Mass, believes the Bible is God's word, believes in one God, believes Christ is risen.

I think it's clear that a devout Catholic is saved.  The Catholic Church teaches what is needed for salvation:

Romans 10:9 

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I am not going to say that there are no saved Catholics.  I will however say in absolute terms that there are devout Catholics that are not saved.  Being a devout member of any church doesn't save you.  We are all saved the same way.  We must be born again.  We must confess our sins, and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior to be saved, no matter how religious and devoted we are to a church.  

You obviously have your mind made up about the Catholic Church, so I am not going to bother arguing the point.  I am happy you can see there are some things they believe that is not right.  I can tell you that praying to or talking to statues is not right.  Still, I am not going to say there are no saved Catholics, and I am not going to dispute with you when you say you feel God in the Catholic Church.  There are just too many things about them to where I can't go to one, but that is me.  I understand the issue of convenience, and how it is close to your home.  I don't think you are sinning to attend Mass.  I am just saying that I have looked into their teachings in light of scripture, and I did so with an open mind, willing to even convert to Catholic had I felt they were in the truth, and they clearly are not.  I can see paganism mixed with Christianity.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

On 07/09/2017 at 4:18 AM, spiderman1917 said:

Where do I turn to find the final authority on what part of the Old Testament should be followed?  Jesus said he didn't come to remove any of the law.  What does that mean?  Does that mean we should stone people for working on the Sabbath?  Scripture says to.

Most Christians don't keep the Sabbath or kosher laws.  Jesus never gave anyone permission to break the law.  The Sabbath is one of the ten commandments after all.

Did God establish an authority on Earth that decides what parts of the law we have to follow?  I think Jesus made it clear that the law still applies.

I think you are asking the wrong question and going to the wrong direction. The correct question is 'How to follow God?'. And the quick answer is neither through the old testament nor the new nor any written commandment. 

If you are trying to find a scripture or a church to guide you it means you put something between God and you. Like a fence around you. Even if it is a good and noble thing it still means you are not under the direct guidance of God.'We have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code'.

If you are not sure what obligations Christians have remember this:  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength and ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ Why do you feel you need written rules and regulations to keep these? It's not the Bible nor any written commandment who should be your guide but God's Spirit who will make you understand the truth.

• Brilliant! 1

59 minutes ago, Zoltan777 said:

I think you are asking the wrong question and going to the wrong direction. The correct question is 'How to follow God?'. And the quick answer is neither through the old testament nor the new nor any written commandment. 

If you are trying to find a scripture or a church to guide you it means you put something between God and you. Like a fence around you. Even if it is a good and noble thing it still means you are not under the direct guidance of God.'We have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code'.

If you are not sure what obligations Christians have remember this:  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength and ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ Why do you feel you need written rules and regulations to keep these? It's not the Bible nor any written commandment who should be your guide but God's Spirit who will make you understand the truth.

Thank you sooo much!  I'm totally in agreement! :)

4 hours ago, Giller said:

The Catholic teachings actually go against the bible's way of salvation.

They are saved by their works.

Not true!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, spiderman1917 said:

Not true!

It is true Spiderman,that is what they teach...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,072
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, Zoltan777 said:

2 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

Thank you sooo much!  I'm totally in agreement! :)

You two are so far off from path!
Jesus clearly by His Own witness said why He came into the world:

John 18:37 (KJV)

[37] Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

John 17:17 (KJV)

[17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John 17:6 (KJV)

[6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Prayed .... love, Steven

49 minutes ago, angels4u said:

It is true Spiderman,that is what they teach...

No it's not.  I've studied Catholicism.  They teach that we are saved by grace.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

45 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

You two are so far off from path!
Jesus clearly by His Own witness said why He came into the world:

John 18:37 (KJV)

[37] Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

John 17:17 (KJV)

[17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John 17:6 (KJV)

[6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Prayed .... love, Steven

Meh...

What is word of God? Is it a written commandment graved in stones? Regulations and rules?

If you are following words written on a paper and books you are under the law and not under His Spirit.

But if you are led by the Holy Spirit and not by scripture you'll fulfill His word.

• Praise God! 1

No where in Scripture does it say God's word is limited to the Bible or can only be found in the Bible.

When the Catholic Church was deciding which books to put in the first Christian Bible, there was no Scriptures that told them which writings were Scripture and which were not, they relied on the Holy Spirit entirely.