IGNORED

The Failure of the Prosperity Gospel Illustrated During Harvey

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

Osteen, who is regularly heralded as a tolerable personality by those who find the rest of Christianity intolerable, faced the unique situation this week of being despised by a world that ordinarily loves him. Preaching a message of prosperity, wealth and health with a beaming smile has made Osteen a popular figure nation-wide. When asked if he preaches a “prosperity gospel” by journalists, Osteen commonly shrugs with a big, Texas grin and says, “Well, I sure don’t preach a poverty gospel.” And in times of plenty, that positive message – without any sign of a blood-soaked savior or call to repentance – is enough to make him the most popular (and financially successful) preacher in America.

(snip)

Osteen made clear that he has no answers for why bad things happen when his theology claims God exists to make good things happen. What the audience is beginning to realize is that Osteen can provide no account for why his theology seems at such odds with reality. And so instead of providing any substantive theological answers (like pastors are supposed to do), he tells the crowd (some of whom lost everything of tangible material value in the hurricane) not to feel sorry for themselves, while his own mega mansion remained relatively unharmed and he still has 50 million dollars in the bank.

Then, Osteen made a promise to the crowd that God is “going to pay back what belongs to us.”

Of course, this promise cannot be found in Scripture (unless one chooses to read themselves into Messianic psalms). Neither is divine “payback” necessarily a good thing.

One thing is for sure; the prosperity gospel is useless to tickle the ears of those standing shoulder-deep in flood water.

http://pulpitandpen.org/2017/09/06/osteen-rebukes-flood-victims-for-poor-me-mentality-promises-them-pay-back/

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:47 AM, Yowm said:

Yeah, NOTHING.

Job 1:21 NASBS
[21] He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD."

AMEN YOWM .    whatever things the LORD takes away was what he KNEW needed to be to get our MIND on HIM again.

WHEN it comes to the God LORD takes away and the good Lord Gives.    ALL WE SHOULD BE DESIRING IS HIS WILL BE DONE AMEN.

that and I see something else that stems from OUR JOY OF HIS SALVATION.    the good LORD gave me LIFE IN CHRIST and took away my death sentence I earned.

THAT IS THE JOY OF THE LORD.    I hate the heck out of that false prosperity Gosple.  but I sure love the TRUE ONE.

OUR PROSPERITIY IS JESUS , HE IS OUR RICHES and the ONLY RICHES that can save us From the wrath of GOD ,

whatever I have to lose for his name sake..........COUNT IT AS GAIN TO KNOW HIM DEEPER.   

whatever he blesses me with, is just meant for others.    I give it no thought .  the affections are not on earthen riches.

I could be broke , without food, on the run , persecuted , STILL no man can take my JOY for my JOY is not in my circumstances

TIS IN THE SALVATION OF THE LORD.    that is the real hope and that hope abounds no matter what comes against us and by HIM we shall abound no matter

what comes against us.    Even on the day I find myself on the run without nothing, I HAVE EVERYTHIG because I HAVE THE LORD.

and that is all I NEED.  FOR IN CHRIST JESUS all things are POSSIBLE TO HE or SHE who believes.  IN HIM we overcome the world our faith in HE ALONE

not in what we think we have on this earth nor what we lose on this earth can cause any hope nor fear.   TIS GOD ALONE .  TIS CHRIST ALONE.

AND HE CANNOT LIE .     SO SING IT ONE AND SING IT ALL.  the prosperity gospel of man IS FALSE, BUT THE PROSPERITY GOSPLE CHRIST TAUGHT IS TRUE.

and it has naught to do with cares of this earths riches, IN FACT that chokes the word RIGHT OUT OF US.  

The focus on riches has left me destroyed and reprobate from the true faith .   WORRY NOT over such things FOCUS ON CHRIST

and fear nothing man can do to us.   JESUS fed five thousand............HE shant have on problem feeding lil o me when the times even come that I have lost all

of these earthen things.  I will find I have LOST NOTHING ..............and will abound In HIM No matter what .   THAT is where my TRUST IS , that is where my FAITH IS

and that is why I have such peace of mind .  NO worries .  just peace, peace IN HIM>  amen.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,866
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

19 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The saddest part of Osteen's prosperity doctrine that will actually fail a good deal of the people he preaches it to is that they will not begin to question his false doctrine when God does not "pay them back."  The most insidious component of Osteen's gospel is that if it fails, it is always your fault.  You just don't have enough faith.  Win-win from Osteen's side.

Oh the times in my 70 years that I have seen just this thing you speak of Cobalt....   and it just makes me sad for the people.

But I would say one thing, most that I know are ok with it.  they think they are doing their part and just accept what comes.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,866
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 minute ago, Cobalt1959 said:

How can they think they are "doing their part?'  The Gospel is supposed to have primarily spiritual affects.  All Osteen preaches is material wealth and shiny teeth.  When that preaching fails to deliver, Osteen doesn't say "My Bad," he blames you for not having enough faith or not speaking the right magical incantation.  I have fallen for scams before, but theologically, how can people fall for this particular scam when it is so obvious?  I realize that perhaps, in some cases it might be greed, but shouldn't someone looking for spiritual fulfillment at some point realize Osteen is not providing them any nourishment in that department?

What he tells them makes them feel good.    they do what they do to feel good.....   and even if they don't get the promised returns they just keep thinking it will come later.   The people I am most familiar with were those that were involved with Jim Baker and a couple that still are.....   Jims message wasn't much different than Osteen's is now.   And several others affiliated with TBN.   Back in my TV days in the late 60's and early 70's I saw those things from behind the cameras and in the control rooms and it was quite an eye opening experience.

The financial side of it I can stomach, but the healing side of it makes me both sick and very angry.  I had a half brother tied up   in that with Oral Roberts....    I can't help it that I am still bitter over that.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/20/1948

On 9/7/2017 at 3:00 AM, shiloh357 said:

Osteen, who is regularly heralded as a tolerable personality by those who find the rest of Christianity intolerable, faced the unique situation this week of being despised by a world that ordinarily loves him. Preaching a message of prosperity, wealth and health with a beaming smile has made Osteen a popular figure nation-wide. When asked if he preaches a “prosperity gospel” by journalists, Osteen commonly shrugs with a big, Texas grin and says, “Well, I sure don’t preach a poverty gospel.” And in times of plenty, that positive message – without any sign of a blood-soaked savior or call to repentance – is enough to make him the most popular (and financially successful) preacher in America.

(snip)

Osteen made clear that he has no answers for why bad things happen when his theology claims God exists to make good things happen. What the audience is beginning to realize is that Osteen can provide no account for why his theology seems at such odds with reality. And so instead of providing any substantive theological answers (like pastors are supposed to do), he tells the crowd (some of whom lost everything of tangible material value in the hurricane) not to feel sorry for themselves, while his own mega mansion remained relatively unharmed and he still has 50 million dollars in the bank.

Then, Osteen made a promise to the crowd that God is “going to pay back what belongs to us.”

Of course, this promise cannot be found in Scripture (unless one chooses to read themselves into Messianic psalms). Neither is divine “payback” necessarily a good thing.

One thing is for sure; the prosperity gospel is useless to tickle the ears of those standing shoulder-deep in flood water.

http://pulpitandpen.org/2017/09/06/osteen-rebukes-flood-victims-for-poor-me-mentality-promises-them-pay-back/

I know of at least three major 'prosperity' ministies that send many trucks each loaded with all sorts of necessities to help out the Harvey victims.  You are blowing out crap!  You do NOT know what you are talking about.  I know that one of those three ministries sent thirty fully loaded 53 foot trailers.   How many did your church send?  How much did YOU contribute?

Too many Christians judge others and have no business doing it, especially in ignorance.  Christian does not mean Hypocrite!

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, Denadii said:

I know of at least three major 'prosperity' ministies that send many trucks each loaded with all sorts of necessities to help out the Harvey victims.  You are blowing out crap!  You do NOT know what you are talking about.  I know that one of those three ministries sent thirty fully loaded 53 foot trailers.   How many did your church send?  How much did YOU contribute?

Too many Christians judge others and have no business doing it, especially in ignorance.  Christian does not mean Hypocrite!

The article was about Osteen, not the prosperity movement in general.  But nevertheless, the prosperity gospel is a false gospel and those who promote it are false prophets, like Osteen, Copeland, etc.   Simply performing humanitarian aid, doesn't change that.

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

The article was about Osteen, not the prosperity movement in general.  But nevertheless, the prosperity gospel is a false gospel and those who promote it are false prophets, like Osteen, Copeland, etc.   Simply performing humanitarian aid, doesn't change that.

You did not mention Osteen.  You mentioned the prosperity gospel and targeted Osteen.   NOBODY names you judge.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Denadii said:

You did not mention Osteen.  You mentioned the prosperity gospel and targeted Osteen.   NOBODY names you judge.

The article mentioned only Osteen as he is the major prosperity false teacher of late.   So yes, Osteen was mentioned.

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

The article mentioned only Osteen as he is the major prosperity false teacher of late.   So yes, Osteen was mentioned.

Osteen was targeted.