• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, shiloh357 said:

You need to actually listen to the sermon before passing judgement on it.  Just going by the title isn't giving you everything you need.  I have heard other sermons similarly titled "What is the Holy Spirit,"  and they never claimed the Holy Spirit is an "it."  They upheld the correct doctrine concerning the Person of the Holy Spirit, so you're really not being fair in this situation.  

Shiloh had you read my post carefully I didn't dismiss the sermon. As a matter of fact I said I was going to watch the sermon. I was just commenting on the title of the sermon. That is all. Shiloh I do hope that you agree that how we use terms in Christianity is important. I have been doing some studies on word usage and we have to be careful that we just don't accept a term just because it looks "spiritual". I think you actually missed my point completely. But that is ok. I am not trying to debate here. All I am trying to do is get us to think a little deeper into how we use words and terms. That was my whole point. His sermon may be spot on and he may be dead on scripturally in the sermon. But when I deal with JW's and even Mormons the Holy Spirit is an actual "what" not a "who" so you have understand my hang up on the title. I hope this helps you understand why I had concern about the sermon title. 

Guest shiloh357
7 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

Shiloh had you read my post carefully I didn't dismiss the sermon. As a matter of fact I said I was going to watch the sermon. I was just commenting on the title of the sermon. That is all. Shiloh I do hope that you agree that how we use terms in Christianity is important.

I understand, and I am stickler on those things, but you're posts were based solely on the title and not on a fair hearing of sermon.

I have been doing some studies on word usage and we have to be careful that we just don't accept a term just because it looks "spiritual".

Yes we do, but judging a sermon solely on the title is taking that idea too far.

I think you actually missed my point completely. But that is ok. I am not trying to debate here. All I am trying to do is get us to think a little deeper into how we use words and terms. That was my whole point. His sermon may be spot on and he may be dead on scripturally in the sermon. But when I deal with JW's and even Mormons the Holy Spirit is an actual "what" not a "who" so you have understand my hang up on the title. I hope this helps you understand why I had concern about the sermon title. 

Yes, I agree but the title of the sermon, by itself,  cannot be compared with JW or Mormon teaching.