• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

5 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Enoch is not canon, neither is the Longer book of Daniel with the dragon story. The 66 Books of the Holy Bible are the measure, proven to be God breathed (2 Timothy 3:16). Deutercanonical books must not be held at same level as the 66. For there are destructive heretical books like the gnostic Book of Thomas (which says women can't go to heaven), Book of Judas, and beyond. Beware of other books outside the 66. 

It is Ethiopian canon. And if you read the church fathers discourses about Peter, Jude, Revelations, Enoch and a few others you might get an idea of the importance of some of these books and how close they came to being excluded. Your choice.

I have even been called a heretic on here for suggesting further reading of Enoch and Jasher.

Check out the account of Hypatia's death by 'Saint' Cyril. Some of these contemporaries were instrumental in the choice of the 66 books.  RCC and Co. did not have the same stranglehold on the Ethiopian Church.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

Praying in the holy spirit also means praying according to his will. Thy will be done. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,139
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/10/2017 at 5:29 PM, Lar said:

Hello all,

For many years now, I have pondered about the meaning of Jude 1:20-21...  Here it is - in the King James translation of the Bible:

"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."  (Jude 1:20-21) KJV

Would someone please explain the meaning of these two Bible verses to me?  (for instance: "...praying in the Holy Ghost..." must not be referring to praying in tongues, because not every Christian can pray in tongues).  And also, "...building up yourselves in your most holy faith..." [and] "Keep yourselves in the love of God..."  

Somehow I find these particular things kind of difficult to understand, and I don't recall ever hearing these things preached on...

Thanks in advance for your response.  :)

Lar

Jude 20 "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,"

Our faith is built up in the Spirit of God, and it is by His Spirit that we gain our wisdom and understanding of His Word. When we are saved, our spirit is in Him, and the Holy Spirit is in us. As long as your are a believer and have faith, there is no other way that you can pray, for if you have an evil spirit that spirit does not know how to approach the Lord God Almighty.

Jude 21 "Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."

You keep yourselves in the love and mercies of God by studying His Word and following it's instructions. That is walking by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and the result of that walk is eternal life.

https://www.theseason.org/jude/jude1.htm

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Hi n2thelight,

I very much appreciate your thoughts here (and your definition of) Jude 1:20-21.  I find that I agree with what you've shared here, and you've made (for me) a rather difficult pair of Bible passages more knowable and more comprehendible.   Thank you very much for reading my post on this topic, and also, thank you for taking the time and the effort to respond to me on this. 

*(Note: to others who responded to my post here):  Incidentally, I see that there are other persons - here on WCF - who have responded to my post here, and I would also like to thank them.

May God richly bless you - one and all!

Lar