• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Hello all,

For many years now, I have pondered about the meaning of Jude 1:20-21...  Here it is - in the King James translation of the Bible:

"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."  (Jude 1:20-21) KJV

Would someone please explain the meaning of these two Bible verses to me?  (for instance: "...praying in the Holy Ghost..." must not be referring to praying in tongues, because not every Christian can pray in tongues).  And also, "...building up yourselves in your most holy faith..." [and] "Keep yourselves in the love of God..."  

Somehow I find these particular things kind of difficult to understand, and I don't recall ever hearing these things preached on...

Thanks in advance for your response.  :)

Lar

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  569
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

See if these translations help. The link has many other translations also. 

Jude 16-23 Good News Translation (GNT)

16 These people are always grumbling and blaming others; they follow their own evil desires; they brag about themselves and flatter others in order to get their own way.

17 But remember, my friends, what you were told in the past by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. 18 They said to you, “When the last days come, people will appear who will make fun of you, people who follow their own godless desires.” 19 These are the people who cause divisions, who are controlled by their natural desires, who do not have the Spirit. 20 But you, my friends, keep on building yourselves up on your most sacred faith. Pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, 21 and keep yourselves in the love of God, as you wait for our Lord Jesus Christ in his mercy to give you eternal life.

22 Show mercy toward those who have doubts; 23 save others by snatching them out of the fire; and to others show mercy mixed with fear, but hate their very clothes, stained by their sinful lusts.

Jude 16-23 New International Version (NIV)

16 These people are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires;they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.

17 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold.18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.”19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

20 But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

22 Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Jude 16-23 New Living Translation (NLT)

16 These people are grumblers and complainers, living only to satisfy their desires. They brag loudly about themselves, and they flatter others to get what they want.

17 But you, my dear friends, must remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ predicted.18 They told you that in the last times there would be scoffers whose purpose in life is to satisfy their ungodly desires. 19 These people are the ones who are creating divisions among you. They follow their natural instincts because they do not have God’s Spirit in them.

20 But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, 21 and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God’s love.

22 And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering.23 Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=jude 16-23&version=NKJV;GNT;NIV;NLT

Hi Psalms37:4,

Thanks very much for your response to my question.   All of these translations that you've shared with me here of Jude 1:20-21 really do provide me with some "food for thought!" 

Do you suppose that we keep ourselves in the love of God by obeying His (New Testament) commandments?

“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." (John 15:10) NKJV

May God bless you!

Lar

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

10 hours ago, Lar said:

Hello all,

For many years now, I have pondered about the meaning of Jude 1:20-21...  Here it is - in the King James translation of the Bible:

"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."  (Jude 1:20-21) KJV

Would someone please explain the meaning of these two Bible verses to me?  (for instance: "...praying in the Holy Ghost..." must not be referring to praying in tongues, because not every Christian can pray in tongues).  And also, "...building up yourselves in your most holy faith..." [and] "Keep yourselves in the love of God..."  

Somehow I find these particular things kind of difficult to understand, and I don't recall ever hearing these things preached on...

Thanks in advance for your response.  :)

Lar

Hi Lar

Jude 1:20   But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Jude 1:21   Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Just above those verses it was speaking of Enoch who prophesied about the ungodly in the last days, giving examples of what they do, now his message is switched to the believers;

but ye (who are not of them), building up for yourselves (treasures of truth & righteousness -not wrath), on your most holy faith (faith in God with everything we got), praying in the Holy Ghost (Spirit of truth) (not spirit of error)

Keep yourselves in the love of God, (put him first), looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life (that we may be accepted)

It most definately is not speaking of praying in tongues, but praying in truth.  Having a true heart for God, honest and open to him, hiding nothing.

Hope this helps

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Sister,

Yes indeed - your well thought-out post of response to me here really did help!  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me, and to my post.

May God bless you,

Lar

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Suggest you read Enoch and his prophesies for the end times.

Thanks.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  08/20/1948

Jude 20-21 (CJB)

20 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith, and pray in union with the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit). 21 Thus keep yourselves in God’s love, as you wait for our Lord Yeshua the Messiah to give you the mercy that leads to eternal life.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Hmm.. the translation I prefer reads thus: 

"But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit,[a]21 and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God’s love." (Jude 1:20-21). 

It then is followed by this verse: 

"22 And you must show mercy to[b] those whose faith is wavering. 23 Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others,[c] but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives." (Jude 1:22-23). 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

On 9/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Justin Adams said:

Suggest you read Enoch and his prophesies for the end times.

Thanks.

Enoch is not canon, neither is the Longer book of Daniel with the dragon story. The 66 Books of the Holy Bible are the measure, proven to be God breathed (2 Timothy 3:16). Deutercanonical books must not be held at same level as the 66. For there are destructive heretical books like the gnostic Book of Thomas (which says women can't go to heaven), Book of Judas, and beyond. Beware of other books outside the 66. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

It is helpful to read prior verses and after verses or the whole or previous chapters to understand what is being spoken of and meant. Jude warns that we can be pulled away by those who preach and teach false doctrine. Or teach others the false notion that we can keep on with habitual sins without any remorse or care. When he quotes Enoch, he is reminding the church that those who lead others away from God through false teachings and unsound doctrines that they will come under God's judgment. This has been spoken of all throughout the old testament. For this reason, Jude encourages the church to stay within God's love where he can reach and bless you.

The verses are encouraging us to stay in complete fellowship with God because as we do our faith grows, and to continue in growing our faith through prayer and reading God's word; as we do the holy spirit will lead us into not only how, but also for what is needed.