IGNORED

Giving Money to Somebody Who Is Addicted to Cigarettes?

thomas t

Would you give him money?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give him money?

• yes
    • no
    • yes, however he must be willing to work on his cigarette addiction

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:
8 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Addiction is not only about chemical reaction derived from a substance one takes.  I have seen addiction in many forms.  People become addicted to chemical reactions derived from an action one does which releases endorphins in the brain.  They continue to push the envelope so more endorphins are released until they have gone too far.  Any addiction, followed to the extreme, will have the same result.

Is this thread about addiction or about cigarettes?

It is about addictions but primarily about addictions to drugs such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. But you are right there are addictions to other things such as cell phones?

Actually, the OP only mentioned cigarettes, which is why I asked the question.  I believe caffeine and alcohol was added later.  The addiction I speak of is not derived from cell phones. but from activities that create that "rush of adrenaline" which releases endorphins.  These are far more addictive since they are natural and nothing needs to be purchased or taken.

If this is just about a few chosen subject matters, I'll leave it to you people to discuss as I have been in so many of these discussions it is like beating a dead horse.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.92
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Davida said:

Sorry to disappoint, actually, many times in my life I've abstained from coffee or tea with no probs. Coffee , I find most of it to acidic for my taste. 

However, the WORST addiction I ever had was to cigarettes and I had terrible physical withdrawal for at least 6+ mths afterwards. If I expected to feel "better" or "healthier" after & if that was my only motivation it would have been very disappointing. I did it to get the monkey off my back & break the addiction cycle.  I felt very ill for 6-8  months after as the nicotine was coming out of my body and my body was adjusting to that.

You do not consume chocolate or Pepsi or Coca Cola or any other caffeinated beverages?

That is a huge achievement to stop smoking. The real goal is to abstain from cigarettes for the rest of your life. I have known many who have stopped smoking for 1 year, 5 years and 10 years but to have a stressful situation in their life bring them back to smoking. My ex MIL stopped smoking for 25 years and went through a very difficult situation and started smoking again.

58 minutes ago, Davida said:

https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/hot-topics/caffeine-and-cancer/

Actually, That  seems to have been dispelled by more recent studies. Coffee is high in anti-oxidants and protects against liver & colon cancer.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/7-good-reasons-to-drink-coffee

Top 11 Coffee Health Benefits

Cut the Pain
Two cups of coffee can cut post-workout muscle pain by up to 48%. From the Journal of Pain, March 2007 (link)

Increase your fiber intake
A cup of brewed coffee represents a contribution of up to 1.8 grams of fiber of the recommended intake of 20-38 grams. From the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (link).

Protection against cirrhosis of the liver
Of course, you could just cut down on the alcohol intake. From the Archives of Internal Medicine (link). Another more recent study also showed coffee’s liver protecting benefits. link. Yet another study showed that both coffee and decaffeinated coffee lowered the liver enzyme levels of coffee drinkers. This study was published in the Hepatology Journal.

Lowered risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Those who consumed 6 or more cups per day had a 22% lower risk of diabetes. From the Archives of Internal Medicine (link). A recent review of research conducted by Harvard’s Dr. Frank Hu showed that the risk of type II diabetes decreases by 9% for each daily cup of coffee consumed. Decaf coffee decreased risk by 6% per cup.

Lowered risk of Alzheimer’s disease
There is considerable evidence that caffeine may protect against Alzheimer’s disease. From the European Journal of Neurology (link).

Reduces suicide risk and Depression
A 10-year study of 86,000 female nurses shows a reduced risk of suicide in the coffee drinkers. From the Archives of Internal Medicine (link). Another study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health found that women who drink 4 or more cups of coffee were 20% less likely to suffer from depression. Study link.

Protection against Parkinson’s
People with Parkinson’s disease are less likely to be smokers and coffee drinkers than their healthy siblings. Just make sure you don’t get lung cancer on the way. From the Archives of Neurology (link). Even newer research out of Sweden revealed that drinking coffee reduces the risk of Parkinson’s even when genetic factors come into play. link.

Coffee drinkers have less risk of heart disease. Korean researchers found that study participants who consumed 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day were less likely to show the beginning signs of heart disease. The study. Other dietary factors should also be noted as Koreans typically have a different diet than do Westerners.

Coffee drinkers have stronger DNA. A study published in the European Journal of Nutrition showed that coffee drinkers have DNA with stronger integrity since the white blood cells of coffee drinkers had far less instance of spontaneous DNA strand breakage. Study abstract.

Lower Risk of Multiple Sclerosis. Recent research showed that at least 4 cups of coffee a day may help protect against the development and reoccurrence of MS. It is believed that the coffee prevents the neural inflammation that possibly leads to the disease developing. The study was published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry. 

Coffee reduces colorectal cancer risk. Even moderate consumption of coffee can reduce the odds of developing colorectal cancer by 26%. This protective benefit increases with more consumption. The study is described in detail here.

Recent research has also shown that coffee may boost a woman’s sex drive, but the fact that it’s only been tested on rats somehow takes the shine off.

Even More Reasons to Drink Coffee…

New research concerning coffee and health is being conducted all the time. Here are some more of the latest studies.

Reduced Liver Cancer Risk: Researchers at USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center found that those that consume 1-3 cups of coffee a day have a 29% reduced risk of developing liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), which is the most common type. Src.

Less Gout Risk: Yet another reason: Risk for developing gout (in men) decreases with increasing coffee consumption. This is a large study of over 50,000 men (link).

Longevity: Greek boiled coffee linked to longevity and heart health. –link. Another study published in the June 17, 2008, issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine showed that women who consume coffee had a lower risk of death from cancer, heart disease, and other factors, which therefore promotes a longer lifespan. Yet another study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that coffee drinkers were at less risk of dying prematurely from diseases like diabetes, heart disease and forms of cancer. Study link. Another study from Japan found that men who drink at least 3 cups of coffee per day have a 24% less risk of dying early from disease. Yet another study from Harvard also confirmed that those who drink 1-5 cups of coffee a day avoid diseases linked to premature death. The study. A Japanese-based study also found similar results when it comes to coffee and longevity. The study. Two more 2017 research studies have confirmed what earlier studies have found. Those that drink coffee live longer than those who don’t. The American study is found here and the European-based study is found here.

Prevents Retinal Damage. A Cornell University Study showed that coffee may prevent retinal damage due to oxidative stress. Caffeine isn’t the culprit here, but chlorogenic acid (CLA), which is one of the strong antioxidants found in the coffee bean. link

Black coffee prevents cavities. Researchers out of Brazil found that strong black coffee kills the bacteria on teeth that leads to tooth decay. Adding milk or sugar to coffee negates this benefit. –link

Coffee may protect against periodontal disease. As part of the US Department of Veterans Affairs Dental Longitudinal Study coffee consumption and dental health among 1,152 men was tracked from 1968-1998. The researchers found that coffee didn’t promote gum disease and actually showed a protective benefit. Link

Coffee may protect against melanoma. A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found that melanoma risk decreases with coffee consumption and that this risk decreases with each cup consumed. Study link.

The USDA’s new 2015 dietary guidelines recommend it for better health. They advise people that having 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day is good for their overall health and reduces the risk of disease. However, they report that adding sugar, cream, or flavored creamers quickly negates the potential benefits. The complete report here.(pdf)

Reduced heart attack mortality risk. Researchers found that those who drink two or more cups of coffee daily after having a heart attack have the least risk of dying from the heart attack. The study.

Coffee’s Health Promoting Antioxidants

If that is what you choose to believe. Of course this is what the manufacturers of coffee want you to believe.

• Oy Vey! 1

36 minutes ago, Davida said:

Sorry to disappoint -but my links are from the HEALTHFOOD INDUSTRY --not any coffee manufacturers.  Here is more- from Dr. Mercola -- Mercola.com has another article at the bottom. I'd rather not respond here, but feel I must just so no people are mislead by false information, even though they can research the FACTS for themselves. 

Here's one from the Mayo Clinic. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/coffee-and-health/faq-20058339

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/05/25/coffee-tea-health-benefits.aspx

And the medical community also links caffeine to high blood pressure, anxiety and a high heart rate. It is also linked with miscarriages.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, missmuffet said:

And the medical community also links caffeine to high blood pressure, anxiety and a high heart rate. It is also linked with miscarriages.

Please provide links for the studies supporting this from the 'medical community'.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bryan said:

Please provide links for the studies supporting this from the 'medical community'.  

Please google "caffeine the affects it has on our body". There are many.

4 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I like the effect i get from coffee at 4 in the morning.  my doc says 2 cups a day is fine.  some times i have a third cup. 

there is actually studies out that show coffee is good and bad.  now decaf coffee is bad because the chemical used to decaffeinate it causes cancer.  they started using a new chemical but... its not really any better.  

back to cigarettes.  If someone is addicted, they may not be able to stop.  no matter how much protest you offer.  and they will get that nicotine. 

I think they have some processes that can naturally decaffeinate coffee. The usual process of decaffeinating coffee is really bad for you. It is not that a person can not stop drinking coffee it is the effect on their body when they do. If a person wants to stop drinking coffee they have to wean themselves off of it and not do it cold turkey.