• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, other one said:

copy/paste it into notepad.exe if you are on a windows computer....   that'll get rid of all the extra stuff then copy/paste it to worthy.   that usually works for me.      Also when you paste something to worthy it usually asks if you want plane text....   tell it yes and it will also get rid of the strike out's

Well, I did the plain text thing, then using the editing tools in the Worthy program itself, changed the font colors and other effects within the plain text file, when I saved it, they strike throughs were back. So, I am just attaching the newly edited Word Document in its place.  Those who wish to read it can, those who do not, can not as they choose.

As the Lord told the prophet Ezekiel:  You tell the folks what I tell ya to tell em.  Them what wants to hear, let em hear.  Them what don't, let em don't.  You just speak what I tell ya. (Ezek. 3:27 modern street language paraphrase).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

that is so strange.....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

On 9/12/2017 at 6:19 AM, Robert William said:

Tongues are always a human language.

Peter spoke in Hebrew and the Holy Spirit translated what he said in the minds of the foreigners.

Act 2:1  When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
Act 2:2  And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3  And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.
Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5  Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
Act 2:8  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?
Act 2:9  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Act 2:10  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,
Act 2:11  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God."

Thank you, Robert.
I have long pondered why the Lord speaks in tongues to us.

Man gave names to all the animals.

And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; 
and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: 
and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; 
but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Genesis 2:19-20

I find that God tells us some very important things right at the beginning of His word,
which have to be taken into account in order for us to receive His word.
Like the commandment to not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for example.
If we read His word pre-supposing we already know what is right and what is wrong, 
then problems occur in our interpretation of it.

And I sometimes wondered why we are told Adam gave names to all the animals.
Two whole verses to tell us this, and it leads to none being suitable for Adam to mate?
Couldn't it have just said, God made the animals and Adam didn't have a woman yet?
Because it is already obvious that man gave names to all the animals. I mean, who else?
We still name new species as we find them.
Anyway, my questions went to my back burner. 

Another question I had was, why does God speak the way He does? 
using animal names and tribe names and not speaking literally.
It was an obstacle to me. A huge thing to overcome. Hard to believe anyone that speaks like that.
Even people would say it to me; why doesn't God just speak more plainly? 
Surely He doesn't expect us to read and understand all this?
I didn't really have an answer for them.

But as time goes on, and the more I meditate on His words, and get a grip on the things that God is saying, 
some things are becoming clearer.
Some beasts of the field, and fowl of the air, are invisible, hard to define.
We call them spirits, and devils. Angels and cherubim.
Now, man named all the animals, but they were only the animals he sees.
So when God gives us spiritual knowledge, knowledge that mankind has not known or heard,
what words shall He use for spiritual things, and spirit beings?

Now hopefully you can see why God has to "talk in tongues" to us.
All throughout His word, He uses words that are; either made up words; or words that don't seem to be in context.
Like "eat My flesh, drink My blood" to give a well known example.
We know He is not speaking about cannibalism, so the words are not in proper context, or not right words,
yet they are right, and Jesus is telling us something important, and we have to figure it out.

So God's word talks to us in tongues, and in parables, and uses metaphors, to convey spiritual truths.
And man's names for animals, and names of things, and place names, and his god's names, stand in place of unnamed spiritual things.
The nature of the animal or thing named is what we have to go by to know the spiritual thing. 
The longer we meditate in His word, the clearer these spiritual things become to us. 

He speaks to us of heavenly things 
Paul

Edited by HarvestLabourer
accidentally saved before completion :)

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:22 AM, Abdicate said:

I knew you wouldn't, and it doesn't change the facts either. 

Greetings Abdicate....I agree with you...I too prophesy...I didn't choose to be called into this...He chose me and i am obedient to what He says. God Bless!

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/21/1958

Acts 2:5-6 ¶ And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

1 Corinthians 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Allow me to say here specifically concerning tongues that if we apply the verses above to the Charismatic movements' version of tongues, all of it is eliminated.  I have never witnessed nor heard of the orderly or practical use of tongues.  What I have seen and heard is a spontaneous ejaculation of nonsense phrases repeated and repeated.  The word tongues is exactly equal to the word languages.  And before I am accused of not believing hard enough, let me reply that it isn't a question of faith, but the object of said faith.  I do not doubt the faith of those with whom I disagree.  I am sincere and I assume that you are equally sincere.  Your opinion does not offend me and I hope I have not been too aggressive with my own opinion.  Thank you in advance for your patience.

• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/21/1958

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, Abdicate said:

Who said that? If you knew how the 66 were chosen, you'd retract your statement. In fact, there are 7 books the word of God mentions that are not part of the 66. Furthermore, many wanted to remove the Peters, Hebrew and Revelation. Moreover, some were removed. But none of that matters, because I have the Holy Spirit who teaches me in truth with or without the written, because He's the Author.

Acts 17:24-28 …. 28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Titus 1:10-12 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. 12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

Hello Abdicate,

Paul also quoted extrabiblical sources to prove a point, but that is not an argument for including the works of Greek poets and vain, unruly prophets into the cannon of scripture.  If we take the cannon of scripture off the table, then we might as well go contend for something else, because we have no final authority.  But since this is a thread on Tongues, I do not want to derail the main discussion. Do we have a thread on the authority of the scriptures somewhere else on this site?  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  494
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

On 9/11/2017 at 3:19 PM, Robert William said:

Tongues are always a human language.

Peter spoke in Hebrew and the Holy Spirit translated what he said in the minds of the foreigners.

Act 2:1  When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
Act 2:2  And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3  And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.
Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5  Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
Act 2:8  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?
Act 2:9  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Act 2:10  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,
Act 2:11  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God."

That is interesting.  That would be the gift of the unsaved.   As a gift of the Spirit I have not seen that on any list, did you make that up?

Could it be possible that Peter spoke in the trade language of that day?  That would be Greek.  

• 1 year later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

Ephesians 4:11-16(KJV)
11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16  From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

I guess until we get Perfection we need all those ministries and gifts.

Less Pastors more Apostles please.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

yes must have love and whatever other gift God gives.  not instead of the Gift. but with 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 5/24/2018 at 8:15 PM, Abdicate said:

we don't need the written word of God for it is written on our hearts, in the stars, and in creation.

God is saying differently:

2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV