• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  612
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  0

Tongues are always a human language.

Peter spoke in Hebrew and the Holy Spirit translated what he said in the minds of the foreigners.

Act 2:1  When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
Act 2:2  And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3  And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.
Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5  Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
Act 2:8  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?
Act 2:9  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Act 2:10  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,
Act 2:11  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I am a cessationist. I do not believe that tongues are for today. If prophecy has passed away so has tongues.

1 Corinthians 13:13-14 If we desire gifts we should desire to speak for the Word of God, that all may be edified.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

20 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I am a cessationist. I do not believe that tongues are for today. If prophecy has passed away so has tongues.

1 Corinthians 13:13-14 If we desire gifts we should desire to speak for the Word of God, that all may be edified.

Why did you say prophecy has passed away?  For the fact that you do not believe in the gifts of tongues and prophecy does not mean that God is not giving out these gifts through his Holy Spirit.   God has not lost his power despite years have rolled by since the time of the apostles.  If God does not do anything it is because he does not want to do it.  The world is too big to know what God is doing in every corner.  In your corner it is possible you have not met people who prophesy or speak in tongues.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Couppy said:

Why did you say prophecy has passed away?  For the fact that you do not believe in the gifts of tongues and prophecy does not mean that God is not giving out these gifts through his Holy Spirit.   God has not lost his power despite years have rolled by since the time of the apostles.  If God does not do anything it is because he does not want to do it.  The world is too big to know what God is doing in every corner.  In your corner it is possible you have not met people who prophesy or speak in tongues.

The Canon of 66 books is complete and closed, those gifts are no longer required, tongues nowadays is just vain babbling and showing off!

However, I would like to say that the Holy Spirit with certain Missionaries will translate in the mind of the hearers as He did when Peter spoke at Pentecost. :)

36 minutes ago, Couppy said:

I have already answered the question and I have met many vain babblers showing off, the Canon is complete and does not need to be added to.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

21 minutes ago, Robert William said:

The Canon of 66 books is complete and closed, those gifts are no longer required, tongues nowadays is just vain babbling and showing off!

However, I would like to say that the Holy Spirit with certain Missionaries will translate in the mind of the hearers as He did when Peter spoke at Pentecost. :)

ON HIS DAY then all will have passed away. TILL then its the same gospel , SAME SPIRIT , same gifts .   

the gifts are for the building up and edifying of the body.  As well as is HOLY SOUND BIBLICAL DOCTRINE.   

WHEN once at HIS COMING then shall all this pass away.    TILL THEN ITS NEEDFUL TO THE BODY OF CHRIST to keep the church without spot or blemish and

edifying one another.    However about tongues I will say this.  Many have BEEN FALSELY TAUGHT IT.

IF a man SHOWS YOU HOW to speak in tongues , IF he begins with chant la la la , etc...........RUN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION FAST, and never look back.

THE HOLY SPIRIT DONT NEED OUR MAN MADE INVENTIONS to create TONGUES.    THIS is all wrong.  AND MANY UPON MANY have been TUAGHT tongues

of men, NOT GOD,  rather than simply REICIEVING TRUE TONGUES from GOD.  and not all will speak with tongues either.  nor is it  a sign

that one has to have to be saved.    SO many false teachings.  AND ROBERTO de WILLIAM,    it has a bit of a Spanish ring.  

THE WORST absolute false doctrine ever is the all inclusive world peace and unity interfaith religion.

GIVE ME a heck yes AT LEAST on the dung pile interfaith peace and unity message as FALSE.   AT the VERY LEAST I pray you see that .

for many churches , NOT JUST ROME , though she leads it, many are getting infected with it,   a hint

if your church is preaching HUGS WITHOUT CORRECTION .  this is the FIRST STEP INTO A road that leads right to perdition and it will get worse as you sit

in it.  far worse.  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Your statement is at odds with what the text actually says.  You do not have enough information, from the text we have, to make the declarative statement you made above.  You do not know, for sure, what linguistic device was used during this event to be able to definitively state that what Peter said was translated inside the hearers heads.  It could have been that way but you have no way of knowing that and verse 4 would actually be an indicator that the way you think it was done was not what was actually happening.

I do not believe the gift of tongues is in operation.  God gave us everything we needed in the Book we already have.  But your opinion about the how it happened is simply that, opinion.

Greetings :)

Are you saying that Peter spoke in multiple languages, I suppose that's possible but I don't think so. :)

1 hour ago, Couppy said:

Prophecy ceased with the completion of the Bible.

Question: "What is the spiritual gift of prophecy?"

Answer:
The spiritual gift of prophecy is listed among the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:10 and Romans 12:6. The Greek word translated “prophesying” or “prophecy” in both passages properly means to “speak forth” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God which is designed to influence people. Many people misunderstand the gift of prophecy to be the ability to predict the future. While knowing something about the future may sometimes have been an aspect of the gift of prophecy, it was primarily a gift of proclamation (“forth-telling”), not prediction (“fore-telling”).

A pastor/preacher who declares the Bible can be considered a “prophesier” in that he is speaking forth the counsel of God. With the completion of the New Testament canon, prophesying changed from declaring new revelation to declaring the completed revelation God has already given. Jude 3 speaks of “the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” (emphasis added). In other words, the faith to which we hold has been settled forever, and it does not need the addition or refinement that comes from extra-biblical revelations.

Also, note the transition from prophet to teacher in 2 Peter 2:1: “There were false prophets among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you” (emphasis added). Peter indicates that the Old Testament age had prophets, whereas the church will have teachers. The spiritual gift of prophecy, in the sense of receiving new revelations from God to be proclaimed to others, ceased with the completion of the Bible. During the time that prophecy was a revelatory gift, it was to be used for the edification, exhortation, and comfort of men (1 Corinthians 14:3). The modern gift of prophecy, which is really more akin to teaching, still declares the truth of God. What has changed is that the truth of God today has already been fully revealed in His Word, while, in the early church, it had not yet been fully revealed.

Christians are to be very wary of those who claim to have a “new” message from God. It is one thing to say, “I had an interesting dream last night.” However, it is quite another matter to say, “God gave me a dream last night, and you must obey it.” No utterance of man should be considered equal to or above the written Word. We must hold to the Word that God has already given and commit ourselves to sola scriptura—Scripture alone.

https://www.gotquestions.org/gift-of-prophecy.html

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

The Holy Spirit is active, and reveals Truth. 

• Thumbs Up 3

44 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

I've prophesied, and it was fulfilled exactly as the Spirit told me. My wife has been healed. She's written things the Spirit first told to her in 1993 and they're happening today or have happened over the years. I'm sorry you've not been exposed to the Spirit, but He is willing. We're spiritual creatures now, so we're not limited by the physical. I've witnessed things I can only describe as visions from 100's of miles away and called to confirm those I saw. I've been moved by the Spirit to pray for someone, acted on His promptings for people thousands of miles away and knew what was going on. 

The spirit realm is more real than the physical. I've witness the arrival of saints into heaven, I've seen passed family and friends in heaven. The word of God is just a map to the Author who is not bound by words. To make such a statement as what I've quoted you say really shows a lack in your walk with the Lord. Theology is made up to fit the lack in our lives. People will prove anything from the word of God to sort out their lack. I don't saw this to you only, but to all who reject the power. I don't expect you to believe me. I don't need your affirmation because the written word of God is not God. The Word is God and He said: 

1 Corinthians 4:20 (KJV)
For the kingdom of God [is] not in word, but in power.  

I do not support your view.

• Thumbs Up 1