• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

16 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

I dont think you are a liar. I think you are deceived. You saw something! Ill agree with that! 

This is my post on another thread on the same topic. This is the experience I was referring to.

People have different experiences with God. My Mom for example in one church service when we lived in Alaska during the altar call went to pray. The Holy Spirit fell on her very hard and she began to speak in tongues. ( not all that uncommon for her back then ). She didn't understand anything she said. Over a short period of time, everyone else stopped praying and all you could hear was my mom. It didn't sound like what she said made any sense. Many would say it sounded like jibberish. After a little bit, she got done praying, got up from the Altar and went back to her seat. No interpretation was given. Then after the service was completely over as she was leaving she was approached by a family. The oldest member of the family, an elderly woman, began speaking to my mom but not in English. My mom tried to explain she couldn't understand anything this woman was saying. Then one of the other people begun to explain to my mom what happened. The elderly Woman only spoke the Eskimo language native to her people. When the Spirit of God come upon my mom she had begun to speak about Jesus Christ and all the wonderful things about him in this Eskimo language. This woman thought my mom must speak the language. After a minute everything was explained to the woman, whom just wanted to be in the house of God. The only church for her to come to was ours, as she was far from home visiting family.

This story is 100% true. We never know what someone else might have experienced with God. To my mom, it was just praying in tongues as she had done countless times before. To this other woman, it was a touch from God. We just don't know, which is why I try to advise to be cautious with this subject. Just because it may sound like jibberish to some, doesn't mean it is. I apologize to you if I upset you with my response. God bless

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

1 minute ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Why dont you prove that there has been

Acts 2:4 proves everything

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/14/1957

There are some who feel that tongues are exclusively the prophetic utterances that were presented in Acts 2, and in doing so they deny 'prayer language' tongues. To help show that Paul preached and differentiated the two as separate things, here is 1 Corinthians 14 presented to show the differential presentation between prophecy and 'prayer language'.

Prophecy is presented in red    Prayer language is presented in blue

1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by theSpirit. 3But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, butI will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21 In the Law it is written: “With other tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.”

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy,however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If thereis no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if arevelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

It is nice to know that in spite of our so-called "closed canon" and the cessation of the Gifts, that the Lord God is still doing His thing and his Gifts are still working. 

I do hope the unsaved or unsure that are reading our posts will not be confused by our apparent lack of simple textural understanding. The very plain writings in the Bible as we know it are quite clear, and all agree with one another to a greater or lesser extent. God aint dead, His Spirit aint dead, the Gifts aint dead.

It is the man-made oddball dictums that must confuse the casual observer; that we do not seem to understand plain writings.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

"hide the truth among the apostate"

Oh yeah. A good topic intro to be sure!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

You can know if you want to know , God is not author of confusion.

Yes speaking in tongue is biblical , it's spoken language , not mumbling words like Pentacostals do .

You get it not when you want , but when God wants you to have it .

Ephesians 2:10

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

So if God wants you to speak in tongues then you will , but don't  test God if you have this gift every sunday .

Matthew 4:7

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

If some not beleiver would be dying and there was no ability to communicate because he does not understand your language , then God could give you this gift to preach gospel to him to save him for example , but not for mumbling one to another in church .

John 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Holy Spirit won't speak of himself as you see .

Edited by Amazing Horse
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/14/1957

While I believe all the gifts are still in operation, it is churches like the modern pentecostal/charismatic movement that prompted Paul to write 1 Cor 14. Paul believed that time and place are very important considerations, and that while he wished we all would speak in tongues, he'd rather we not do it than do it wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues.." -Mark 16:17

"For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit." -1 Corinthians 14:2

"If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God." -1 Corinthians 14:27-28 

"And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. " -Acts 2:4

"And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language." -Acts 2:6

"And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying." -Acts 19:6

"Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret." -1 Corinthians 14:13 

"Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers." -1 Corinthians 14:22

"For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills." -1 Corinthians 12:8-11

"The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself [in the Spirit], but the one who prophesies builds up the church." -1 Corinthians 14:4

"What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace." (1 Corinthians 14:26-32). 

Tongues is seen to be used in two facets, one to lead people to Christ by the Tongues being those of people as in case of Pentecost (Acts 1:-47), and in other case it is a prayer language that builds up the spirit in the Christian and connects them to God's Spirit (1 Corinthians 14:4, 1 Corinthians 14:2). 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

yep!. the prayer language is the evidence that G-d may move in the public, worshipful way as well, ymmv

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you kindly.

It seems many want to understand how G-d works in their lives on their own terms, and not on His. When they do that , they are not believing in Him so much as they are believing in themselves. John 16-13 , Jesus tells how when the Holy Spirit comes He will speak, guide and show us G-d's ways, only one is a voice. We must learn to be aware and follow all of His ways of leading us.

blessings

• Thumbs Up 1