• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  612
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  0

55 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

Always huh? Why not quote all the verses about tongues instead of the first time they happened?

Romans 8:26 (KJV)
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.  

What the sound uttered by them in an earthly language or did they hear the Spirit (who is universal) in their own language? If you don't have ears to hear in English, how will you hear in the language of angels?

Cannot be uttered, nothing there about languages spoken.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

9 hours ago, Robert William said:

The Canon of 66 books is complete and closed, those gifts are no longer required, tongues nowadays is just vain babbling and showing off!

However, I would like to say that the Holy Spirit with certain Missionaries will translate in the mind of the hearers as He did when Peter spoke at Pentecost. :)

The books may be completed and closed but God has not lost his power.   People are getting saved.  People are being healed.  The Word of God has come alive in the lives of many people.  Are we now picking and choosing what we want to believe God can still do and what God can no longer do?  If you believe you receive if not you get nothing.  

I agree with frienduff that some make up tongues just like some will pretend they are saved.  False tongues and false salvation are not of God.  The devil has his counterfeit but that does not make God's gift less genuine.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Prophecy ceased with the completion of the Bible.

Question: "What is the spiritual gift of prophecy?"

Answer:
The spiritual gift of prophecy is listed among the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:10 and Romans 12:6. The Greek word translated “prophesying” or “prophecy” in both passages properly means to “speak forth” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God which is designed to influence people. Many people misunderstand the gift of prophecy to be the ability to predict the future. While knowing something about the future may sometimes have been an aspect of the gift of prophecy, it was primarily a gift of proclamation (“forth-telling”), not prediction (“fore-telling”).

Also, note the transition from prophet to teacher in 2 Peter 2:1: “There were false prophets among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you” (emphasis added). Peter indicates that the Old Testament age had prophets, whereas the church will have teachers. The spiritual gift of prophecy, in the sense of receiving new revelations from God to be proclaimed to others, ceased with the completion of the Bible. During the time that prophecy was a revelatory gift, it was to be used for the edification, exhortation, and comfort of men (1 Corinthians 14:3). The modern gift of prophecy, which is really more akin to teaching, still declares the truth of God. What has changed is that the truth of God today has already been fully revealed in His Word, while, in the early church, it had not yet been fully revealed.

The gift of prophecy is one of the gifts of the Spirit as in 1 Corinthians 12:10.  It is there for edification, exhortation and comfort.  It is false teaching to assume that someone who prophecy should only predict the future.  They can predict the future.  They can predict and they can warn.  If God sees a congregation heading for a split, which the overseer is not aware of, a prophecy can reveal that.  Prophecy nowadays may not all about the big times such as the book of Revelations but even the small things relating to our day to day life.  

In Ephesians 4:11-16, Jesus "gave some apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ"

I think you got your scriptures mixed up, stating in 2 Peter 2:1 that there is a transition from prophet to teacher.  All Peter said was that there were false prophets and false teachers.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

3 hours ago, Abdicate said:

Yes, they do pick and choose because they have to. With Paul saying that real members of the Kingdom have power and since they don't have it, they have to bend their theology to explain it away.

I think it's more than that. I think a lot of people today are a lot like Thomas. Think about it. Jesus appeared to all the Apostles except Thomas. They told Thomas the truth of what had happened to them. Thomas did not believe their testimony and would not believe them until it happened to him. It had to happen to him ( Thomas ) or it wasn't real, didn't exist and wasn't possible. Only after it happened to Thomas was it real and he believed. Same thing today. A lot of people will not accept tongues, prophecy or any other gift until it happens to them. Until it happens to them the gifts don't exist and are not for today. A lot of people today are just like Thomas, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, Couppy said:

If you believe you receive if not you get nothing.  

Thats sheer falsehood!  Many have asked for tongues that did not get them. Scripture doesnt back up your thinking either.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:57 AM, Abdicate said:

Yes, they do pick and choose because they have to. With Paul saying that real members of the Kingdom have power and since they don't have it, they have to bend their theology to explain it away.

I think the saddest thing is that grace is a gift too. 

1 Corinthians 4:20 (KJV)
For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

Tongues exemplifies power? Scripture please.

8 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Thats sheer falsehood!  Many have asked for tongues that did not get them. Scripture doesnt back up your thinking either.

Why did they ask for tongues?  Jesus said "ask and you shall receive" Matthew 7:7.  

James said  "....you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." James 4:1-3 NJKV.  

In Acts 8:18-20 Simon wanted to buy it with money when he saw the Holy Spirit was given by the laying of hands.

"When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money"

15 hours ago, Abdicate said:

Ask the Holy Spirit if you believe.

. Theres an old saying "put your money where your mouth is" .

You cant provide scripture to back your bombastic comment because it doesnt exist .

9 hours ago, Couppy said:

Why did they ask for tongues?  Jesus said "ask and you shall receive" Matthew 7:7.  

James said  "....you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." James 4:1-3 NJKV.  

In Acts 8:18-20 Simon wanted to buy it with money when he saw the Holy Spirit was given by the laying of hands.

"When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money"

Your painting with a rather broad brush arent you?  Your cherry picked scripture proves nothing.

The foundation of the church has been laid. Tongues were a real foreign language understood by those that SPOKE IT used for the purpose of spreading the gospel. Tongues and prophets were the cornerstones of the church .  Modern day tongues is NOT biblical.

32 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Your painting with a rather broad brush arent you?  Your cherry picked scripture proves nothing.

The foundation of the church has been laid. Tongues were a real foreign language understood by those that SPOKE IT used for the purpose of spreading the gospel. Tongues and prophets were the cornerstones of the church .  Modern day tongues is NOT biblical.

I believe everything the scripture states.  I don't cherry pick, why would I?  I believe in the God who can still do what he did centuries ago.

I believe we have to agree to disagree about what God can still do in terms of giving out gifts and ministries in relation to tongues and prophets.  It does not change what he is still doing whether we believe it or not.