• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/12/2017 at 2:30 PM, Couppy said:

Why did you say prophecy has passed away?  For the fact that you do not believe in the gifts of tongues and prophecy does not mean that God is not giving out these gifts through his Holy Spirit.   God has not lost his power despite years have rolled by since the time of the apostles.  If God does not do anything it is because he does not want to do it.  The world is too big to know what God is doing in every corner.  In your corner it is possible you have not met people who prophesy or speak in tongues.

My personal thoughts:

Our Bible is complete and the Canon is closed; there will be no more to come. At the time of Pentecost one of the gifts given was for the Apostles was to speak in tongues [today we would say they became multilingual]. The disciples and Apostles were sent out to the whole known world to preach the Gospel. The purpose seems logical; so they could communicate the Gospel message in their native tongues. I personally believe that gift ended with the last living Apostle, John. 

The Gospel is to be preached throughout all the world, then the end will come. If the gift of speaking in tongues is still in effect; why do missionaries and Christian's have to "learn" their oral and written language to communicate the Gospel to them? The most important message anyone could ever hear, is the saving Grace of the Gospel through Jesus Christ alone. Yet, as far as I know, there's never been an evangelical or missionary supernaturally gifted to speak in multiple languages to communicate the Gospel since the apostles.

The pit viper snake handling churches in the Appalachians think their doctrine is correct also.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 hours ago, Abdicate said:

Such divisiveness on this site!

Romans 2:13-15
For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them

Luke 12:47-48
And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.  But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

Matt 12:36-37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
KJV

What you see as divisive was really correction toward God's Word... you say God's written Word is not needed and I showed you where it was according to God's Word...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  238
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

On 9/12/2017 at 3:53 PM, Robert William said:

The Canon of 66 books is complete and closed, those gifts are no longer required, tongues nowadays is just vain babbling and showing off!

However, I would like to say that the Holy Spirit with certain Missionaries will translate in the mind of the hearers as He did when Peter spoke at Pentecost. :)

Tongues is FAR FROM babbling and showing off. Granted, there are a lot of false tongues that are babbling, and even demonic tongues. However, my first experience with tongues was at a fellowship in a pastors house where, during the manifestation of Holy Spirit (tongues), I felt a physical rush of heat. When the tongues were interpreted, my pastor said, "The heat you feel is from me."

Tongues is a manifestation of Holy Spirit (First Corinthians 12). I implore you, do not blaspheme it, it is the unforgivable sin (Matthew 12:31-32).

I have also heard a word of Prophecy before and given a word of Prophecy once, which are also manifestations of Holy Spirit (First Corinthians 12). I urge you to avoid blaspheming that also. 

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1947

By the tags under the title of this post you can tell it is written by one of the uninformed of 1 Corinthians 14:23

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 9/11/2017 at 1:19 PM, Robert William said:

Tongues are always a human language.

Well, the Apostle Paul had this to say. ;)

1 Corinthians 13:1 KVJ 1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, charisenexcelsis said:

Apparently, Paul was not a cessationist. If Paul taught the church concerning the various gifts of the Spirit, and if his writings are included in the canon, and if he commanded that we not forbid the speaking in tongues, then the matter is settled.

But that was Paul and that was a very long time ago. Not today.

2 hours ago, charisenexcelsis said:

Apparently, Paul was not a cessationist. If Paul taught the church concerning the various gifts of the Spirit, and if his writings are included in the canon, and if he commanded that we not forbid the speaking in tongues, then the matter is settled.

Tongues would not be an issue if they were followed by the Biblical outlay of use:

1 Cor 14:27-28

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
KJV

for then one could through the interpretation use God's Word to see if the speaking was of God or other... God's Word is 'The' authority to which all else must be in submission to!

2 minutes ago, charisenexcelsis said:

I certainly agree that the Bible is the authoritative measure. Nevertheless, in claiming to be a cessationist, you hold a view that some of the teachings of scripture are no longer to be followed. Your attempt to reinterpret the breadth of the gifts (plural) of glossalia falls is an act of plucking one part of the teaching and ignoring the rest. Cessationism is a modern creation with suspect motives.

Please show me where I have posted cessation in my comment! 

1 minute ago, charisenexcelsis said:

My apology. I mixed you up with another.

Just to share my heart in this matter... God cannot be placed into a box and is able to do all that pleases Him anytime anywhere that suits Him... my greatest concern for the sign gift movement is the 'if' in the leading of God... In this passage Jesus warns us

Matt 24:24-27

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
KJV

Now we know that Jesus is our shepherd and we know what David tells us about our Shepherd

Ps 23:1-3
 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
KJV

The Shepherd simply leads us both by care to our physical needs and more importantly our s/Spiritual needs...
Now the question arises 'why' when Jesus warned us about the last day and false signs and wonders that could deceive the very elect...
Why would He lead us into this in these last of days? I do not suggest cessation as placing God in a box but I do suggest why lead us directly into following the very thing He has warned us about? This is not debatable in it's presentation... but is given to individuals to discern in reason with The Shepherd and one's self the why I am here in the sign gifts defense...  

2 minutes ago, charisenexcelsis said:

I share some of your concerns but not your fear. If Paul commands us not to forbid, then we must deal with the problems without discouraging the practice.

I really have not fear in any of this as I have His Word and The Teacher to lead me into the path of righteousness …  as I have been made s/Spiritually alive I really have no further need of that which passes away to assure me of spiritual realities within :thumbsup: