• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  2

1 Peter 4:6
That is why the Good News was preached to those who are now dead--so although they were destined to die like all people, they now live forever with God in the Spirit."

This Scripture kept playing in my head today and it felt like Jesus was telling me that many confused people will have the truth fully presented to them after death , and they will be given the opportunity to accept or reject it.

Many people do not know they are rejecting the truth.  Jesus said," if they did not know, they would not have sin".

Anyway, this Scripture gives me hope for the lost.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

26 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

This Scripture kept playing in my head today and it felt like Jesus was telling me that many confused people will have the truth fully presented to them after death , and they will be given the opportunity to accept or reject it.

Really? I think they had their whole life to accept and respond to what little they could know about God, and they rejected Him.

Seems to me more likely, that any "sermon" they heard might have been along the lines of 'Some responded, some did not, that ship has sailed. It all came true, just as the prophets said, and now there awaits a resurrection, for those who received the light, and torment, for those who chose darkness'.

C.S. Lewis said something the the effect, that there are two kinds of people in the judgement to come:

Those who said to God: "Thy will be done" 

and those to whom God will say: "Thy will be done"

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Really? I think they had their whole life to accept and respond to what little they could know about God, and they rejected Him.

Seems to me more likely, that any "sermon" they heard might have been along the lines of 'Some responded, some did not, that ship has sailed. It all came true, just as the prophets said, and now there awaits a resurrection, for those who received the light, and torment, for those who chose darkness'.

C.S. Lewis said something the the effect, that there are two kinds of people in the judgement to come:

Those who said to God: "Thy will be done" 

and those to whom God will say: "Thy will be done"

I don't choose to be confused.  I read the Bible and am filled with confusion.  I see Christianity is extremely divided and quarreling over interpretation.  I don't know who to listen to.

Hence, I don't choose to be confused, therefore I don't think others choose their blindness.  I pray I and they could see.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, spiderman1917 said:

That is why the Good News was preached to those who are now dead--so although they were destined to die like all people, they now live forever with God in the Spirit."

Many people do not know they are rejecting the truth.  Jesus said," if they did not know, they would not have sin".

The gospel can not be preached to the dead. Once a person is dead it is too late. They either excepted Jesus Christ into their life and they are in heaven or they did not and they are in Hades awaiting their final judgement at the end of the 1000 year millennium. They will then be thrown into the eternal lake of fire. There is no hope for those who have rejected Jesus Christ.

5 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The gospel can not be preached to the dead. Once a person is dead it is too late. They either excepted Jesus Christ into their life and they are in heaven or they did not and they are in Hades awaiting their final judgement at the end of the 1000 year millennium. They will then be thrown into the eternal lake of fire. There is no hope for those who have rejected Jesus Christ.

Where does it say the gospel can't be preached to the dead?  I read the opposite

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

2 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

That is why the Good News was preached to those who are now dead--so although they were destined to die like all people, they now live forever with God in the Spirit."

The gospel was preached to my grandma who is now dead.  But it was preached to her while she was still alive, so that now she lives forever with God in the Spirit.   

That is how  1 Peter 4:6  reads.  Those who received Christ while they were alive but are now dead in Christ live forever with God in the Spirit .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

50 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

Where does it say the gospel can't be preached to the dead?  I read the opposite

If a person is spiritually dead we need to pray for them. If they are physically dead it is too late.

Question: "What does the Bible say about praying to / speaking to / talking to the dead?"

Answer:
Praying to the dead is strictly forbidden in the Bible. Deuteronomy 18:11 tells us that anyone who “consults with the dead” is “detestable to the Lord.” The story of Saul consulting a medium to bring up the spirit of the dead Samuel resulted in his death “because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance” (1 Samuel 28:1-25; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14). Clearly, God has declared that such things are not to be done.

Consider the characteristics of God. God is omnipresent—everywhere at once—and is capable of hearing every prayer in the world (Psalm 139:7-12). A human being, on the other hand, does not possess this attribute. Also, God is the only one with the power to answer prayer. In this regard, God is omnipotent—all powerful (Revelation 19:6). Certainly this is an attribute a human being—dead or alive—does not possess. Finally, God is omniscient—He knows everything (Psalm 147:4-5). Even before we pray, God knows our genuine needs and knows them better than we do. Not only does He know our needs, but He answers our prayers according to His perfect will.

So, in order for a dead person to receive prayers, the dead individual has to hear the prayer, possess the power to answer it, and know how to answer it in a way that is best for the individual praying. Only God hears and answers prayer because of His perfect essence and because of what some theologians call His “immanence.” Immanence is the quality of God that causes Him to be directly involved with the affairs of mankind (1 Timothy 6:14-15); this includes answering prayer.

Even after a person dies, God is still involved with that person and his destination. Hebrews 9:27 says so: “…Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.” If a person dies in Christ, he goes to heaven to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:1-9, especially verse 8); if a person dies in his sin, he goes to hell, and eventually everyone in hell will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14-15).

A person suffering in agony will not be able to hear or answer a prayer, nor will a person who is living in heavenly bliss with God. If we pray to someone and he is in eternal agony, should we expect him to be able to hear and answer our prayers? Likewise, would a person in heaven be concerned for temporal problems on earth? God has provided His Son, Jesus Christ, to be the mediator between man and God (1 Timothy 2:5). With Jesus Christ as our mediator, we can go through Jesus to God. Why would we want to go through a sinful dead individual, especially when doing so risks the wrath of God?

https://www.gotquestions.org/praying-to-the-dead.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, spiderman1917 said:

Hebrews 9:27

And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

Isaiah 8:19 

And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?

1 Peter 3:18-20

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

Luke 16:19-31

“There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. ...

1 Corinthians 15:29 

Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:16 

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Matthew 25:31-

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, ...

Luke 16:26 

And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’

Matthew 7:21 

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Luke 6:27 

“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Matthew 24:24 

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

Deuteronomy 18:11 

Or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead,

Leviticus 19:31

“Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God.

5 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

If a person is spiritually dead we need to pray for them. If they are physically dead it is too late.

Question: "What does the Bible say about praying to / speaking to / talking to the dead?"

Answer:
Praying to the dead is strictly forbidden in the Bible. Deuteronomy 18:11 tells us that anyone who “consults with the dead” is “detestable to the Lord.” The story of Saul consulting a medium to bring up the spirit of the dead Samuel resulted in his death “because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance” (1 Samuel 28:1-25; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14). Clearly, God has declared that such things are not to be done.

Consider the characteristics of God. God is omnipresent—everywhere at once—and is capable of hearing every prayer in the world (Psalm 139:7-12). A human being, on the other hand, does not possess this attribute. Also, God is the only one with the power to answer prayer. In this regard, God is omnipotent—all powerful (Revelation 19:6). Certainly this is an attribute a human being—dead or alive—does not possess. Finally, God is omniscient—He knows everything (Psalm 147:4-5). Even before we pray, God knows our genuine needs and knows them better than we do. Not only does He know our needs, but He answers our prayers according to His perfect will.

So, in order for a dead person to receive prayers, the dead individual has to hear the prayer, possess the power to answer it, and know how to answer it in a way that is best for the individual praying. Only God hears and answers prayer because of His perfect essence and because of what some theologians call His “immanence.” Immanence is the quality of God that causes Him to be directly involved with the affairs of mankind (1 Timothy 6:14-15); this includes answering prayer.

Even after a person dies, God is still involved with that person and his destination. Hebrews 9:27 says so: “…Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.” If a person dies in Christ, he goes to heaven to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:1-9, especially verse 8); if a person dies in his sin, he goes to hell, and eventually everyone in hell will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14-15).

A person suffering in agony will not be able to hear or answer a prayer, nor will a person who is living in heavenly bliss with God. If we pray to someone and he is in eternal agony, should we expect him to be able to hear and answer our prayers? Likewise, would a person in heaven be concerned for temporal problems on earth? God has provided His Son, Jesus Christ, to be the mediator between man and God (1 Timothy 2:5). With Jesus Christ as our mediator, we can go through Jesus to God. Why would we want to go through a sinful dead individual, especially when doing so risks the wrath of God?

https://www.gotquestions.org/praying-to-the-dead.html

The old testament forbids summoning spirits as necromancy to get hidden knowledge.

The Scripture forbidding such practices are OT Scriptures.  The OT forbids a lot of things that we don't follow as Christians.

The new covenant made clear that much of what was forbidden is now sanctioned.

There is nothing in the New Testament that says we can't contact other members of the body of Christ.

When a person dies they do not cease to be a member of the body of Christ.  We are one body, therefore connected to the Church in Heaven.

You aren't going to move me with OT verses.  The rules for Ancient Israelites were not for Christians.  If you are going to correct me, please quote what is forbidden in the New Testament.