• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.41
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

My sense is that various forms of mental illness and disorders (under which I'd also include addictions and compulsive behaviors) have multiple causes.  (I'm probably not using the terms technically correctly.)

Physical trauma from accidents, injury, or disease, brain chemistry changes due to drugs, bad diet, abuse, neglect, emotional manipulation, and other things can cause real physical changes and damage in the brain and result in behaviors that no amount of will-power or self-discipline is going to fix.  If someone has a broken leg in a car accident, we are immediately sympathetic to their limitations.  If someone suffers brain damage through a high level impact (such as in a car accident) or chronic low level impacts (sadly too common in sports), we are often oblivious or unsympathetic.  Both a broken leg and brain trauma are equally a physical injury, its that the symptoms show up differently.

In some cases perhaps, Bible reading by itself might help some people, but more often my sense is that some type of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing must occur.  I cannot recall a single instance of healing in the Gospels or Acts in which Jesus or His disciples recommended that reading the OT would heal someone.  It's not to say scripture and truth were never involved, but that the simple act of reading the OT by itself does not seem to have been the key thing involved.

Speaking for myself, last year, I underwent some mental and emotional health recovery.  Too many years of being too intense and serious about too many things had lead to chronic stress and some unhealthy emotional patterns.  I left my job and pretty much shut down for a number of months.  Part of my time off was spent reading the Bible through in Greek (LXX and GNT) over a couple of months.  Reading in a non-native language forced me to focus and calm down in a way I needed as I got used to not worrying about stuff.  This was something I needed.  However, it was part of a general change of lifestyle and it was a good help in the transition.  It was not the bible reading alone that fixed things (considering that I have been a regular bible reader for decades).

Not everyone is financially able to do what you did.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My medical training says the physical cause should not last more than a few days.  Personally, my mom had passed away a few weeks prior to our second child, and I also grieved for her at times.  

It is a very exhausting time will little sleep for nursing mothers, and my kids were very small and had to be fed every 3 hours.  No deep sleep and all.  Other children also demand attention.  So any help a husband can provide is most welcome, especially his patience and understanding.  

I know some women who have suffered mental illness when they became pregnant due to hormone shifts.  Sometimes deep problems pop out.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Not everyone is financially able to do what you did.

I agree fully.  We lived frugally and worked hard to be out of debt and build up a rainy day fund.  We decided that was the rainy day it was for.  I truly do not know what I would have done if taking time off was not an option.  I seriously feel very bad for people in similar situations who do not have that option.   After this happened, as I started to talk and share what was going on with people, I was amazed at how many people I know who shared that they had struggled with severe stress at work and never really talked about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

6 hours ago, Big-Guns said:

Hello what are you opinions on the relationship with mental illness and demonic influence and possession are they the same?  And what is the cure in your opinion?

Hi Big-Guns.  Please refrain from telling people they are not Christians because you don't agree with their post.  If you want to continue on this topic, I highly suggest you address the reason you do not agree and not the person them self.  That is called personal attacks.  From the Terms of Service:

Debate the subject, not the person. It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating. Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person. Respect each other in the love of God! This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down, and even deleted! Users that cannot respect others will be banned. (Lev. 19:18)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

4 hours ago, Big-Guns said:
4 hours ago, OneLight said:

I think it is important to not confuse possession and oppression.  They are not the same.  Everyone can be oppressed by demonic influences, but not everyone can be possessed by demons.  That said, research shows that chemical imbalances in the mind causes mental illnesses, as well as some physical defects of the brain itself.  Not everything that is wrong in this world, including mental illness, is demonic by nature.

So you also believe in using psychiatric drugs?  I would hate to tell you this but spiritual drugs are of witch craft and the Bible is against sorcery and the like.  You must be deceived and truth can not be in you.  The practice of psychiatry is of the world and nature is demonic it says so in the bible that is why true Christians seek heaven not this world and it's worldly wisdom/knowledge.  A problem with the mind is a spiritual problem it is also what the Bible calls the heart do not rely on your own mind but Christ do not conform to the patern of this world and renew the mind the mind is deceitful above all things.

I believe in a chemical imbalance.  I never said that I believed in psychiatric drugs.  Please do not add anything to what I am saying as it will lead down the wrong road.

It seems you are railing against medications, so why is that?  Am I to assume that if you were in an accident and needed surgery, you would refuse any form of anesthesia?  There is such a thing as being so far out in left field one cannot see the infield any longer.  Be careful not to venture too far with legalistic ideals.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

9 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Hi Big-Guns.  Please refrain from telling people they are not Christians because you don't agree with their post.  If you want to continue on this topic, I highly suggest you address the reason you do not agree and not the person them self.  That is called personal attacks.  From the Terms of Service:

Debate the subject, not the person. It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating. Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person. Respect each other in the love of God! This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down, and even deleted! Users that cannot respect others will be banned. (Lev. 19:18)

I agree sorry people

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Sorry no more personal attacks.  I'm still overcoming my personal demons also.

Edited by Big-Guns
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, Big-Guns said:

Hello what are you opinions on the relationship with mental illness and demonic influence and possession are they the same?  And what is the cure in your opinion?

I do not think that mental illness and demonic possession are the same thing. We are all at risk to get illnesses. People get diabetes and thyroid disorders. The brain is also at risk of illnesses and some of those are mental. We are living in the 21st century and there has been a lot of research done on the brain. A person who has a mental illness needs to see a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist to be diagnosed. There are medications that can allow a person to live a stable life with a mental illness. Do not let anyone fool you in telling you that it is only demons that is causing your mental illness. That can be dangerous. You need to be safe to yourself and to others.

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

1 hour ago, Willa said:

Post partum depression is due to the abrupt shift in hormones that occurs about 3 to 5 days after delivery.  It should only last a short time.  The enemy attacks us when we are most vulnerable.   So we may also be oppressed during that time.  But if this extends for months following delivery there is some other cause.   

might be going off topic here but does post natal depression last for months unabated? as i would find this helpful to know due to an ongoing situation......

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Medically speaking, it should only last a few days.   Those for whom it lasts longer are suffering from other problems.  Exhaustion adds to it.  Raising a family of young children is not easy.  I can remember begging my kids to take a nap because I needed a short one.