Mental Illness

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello what are you opinions on the relationship with mental illness and demonic influence and possession are they the same?  And what is the cure in your opinion?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

No, they are not the same. A born again believer cannot be possessed by demons. Demons can bring oppression and try to make things hard, but never posses. Demon has no place in a body with Holy Spirit. Mental illness is a real condition. Even a believer can face depression for various reasons. While there are good medication which can help, Lord is the ultimate healer.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

1 hour ago, Big-Guns said:

Hello what are you opinions on the relationship with mental illness and demonic influence and possession are they the same?  And what is the cure in your opinion?

I've seen first-hand: demonic influence and mental illness.  Demonic possession is rare, but a born-again should not fear it.  I agree with ravindran's post above.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, ravindran said:

No, they are not the same. A born again believer cannot be possessed by demons. Demons can bring oppression and try to make things hard, but never posses. Demon has no place in a body with Holy Spirit. Mental illness is a real condition. Even a believer can face depression for various reasons. While there are good medication which can help, Lord is the ultimate healer.

So you are saying that people who are suffering from a psychological disease are not being possessed or influenced by Satan?  Is it not the heart of man that is corrupt and the cause of illness suffering and sin? Is the heart not of the spirit and carnal.  I believe that the origin of knowledge thought and desire is of spirit which is the heart the true identity and that these people need there minds cleaned of the filth and disease that is in this world and need to be born again and put on the mind of Christ.  They can do this by reading the word of God don't you think?  Don't you also think that medicaton has ties to witch craft?  How about the word pharmakeia

Edited by Big-Guns
Add more info
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Just now, Big-Guns said:

So you are saying that people who are suffering from a psychological disease are not being possessed or influenced by Satan?  Is it not the heart of man that is corrupt and the cause of illness suffering and sin? Is the heart not of the spirit and carnal.  I believe that the origin of knowledge thought and desire is of spirit which is the heart the true identity and that these people need there minds cleaned of the filth and disease that is in this world and need to be born again and put on the mind of Christ.  They can do this by reading them word of God don't you think?

I think it is important to not confuse possession and oppression.  They are not the same.  Everyone can be oppressed by demonic influences, but not everyone can be possessed by demons.  That said, research shows that chemical imbalances in the mind causes mental illnesses, as well as some physical defects of the brain itself.  Not everything that is wrong in this world, including mental illness, is demonic by nature.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

So you also believe in using psychiatric drugs?  I would hate to tell you this but spiritual drugs are 

Edited by Big-Guns

4 hours ago, OneLight said:

I think it is important to not confuse possession and oppression.  They are not the same.  Everyone can be oppressed by demonic influences, but not everyone can be possessed by demons.  That said, research shows that chemical imbalances in the mind causes mental illnesses, as well as some physical defects of the brain itself.  Not everything that is wrong in this world, including mental illness, is demonic by nature.

So you also believe in using psychiatric drugs?  I would hate to tell you this but spiritual drugs are of witch craft and the Bible is against sorcery and the like.  You must be deceived and truth can not be in you.  The practice of psychiatry is of the world and nature is demonic it says so in the bible that is why true Christians seek heaven not this world and it's worldly wisdom/knowledge.  A problem with the mind is a spiritual problem it is also what the Bible calls the heart do not rely on your own mind but Christ do not conform to the patern of this world and renew the mind the mind is deceitful above all things.

A Christian with the Holy Spirit can suffer depression? Where do you all think emotions come from? It comes from the mind and the mind is spiritual depression is demonic.

7 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

My sense is that various forms of mental illness and disorders (under which I'd also include addictions and compulsive behaviors) have multiple causes.  (I'm probably not using the terms technically correctly.)

Physical trauma from accidents, injury, or disease, brain chemistry changes due to drugs, bad diet, abuse, neglect, emotional manipulation, and other things can cause real physical changes and damage in the brain and result in behaviors that no amount of will-power or self-discipline is going to fix.  If someone has a broken leg in a car accident, we are immediately sympathetic to their limitations.  If someone suffers brain damage through a high level impact (such as in a car accident) or chronic low level impacts (sadly too common in sports), we are often oblivious or unsympathetic.  Both a broken leg and brain trauma are equally a physical injury, its that the symptoms show up differently.

In some cases perhaps, Bible reading by itself might help some people, but more often my sense is that some type of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing must occur.  I cannot recall a single instance of healing in the Gospels or Acts in which Jesus or His disciples recommended that reading the OT would heal someone.  It's not to say scripture and truth were never involved, but that the simple act of reading the OT by itself does not seem to have been the key thing involved.

Speaking for myself, last year, I underwent some mental and emotional health recovery.  Too many years of being too intense and serious about too many things had lead to chronic stress and some unhealthy emotional patterns.  I left my job and pretty much shut down for a number of months.  Part of my time off was spent reading the Bible through in Greek (LXX and GNT) over a couple of months.  Reading in a non-native language forced me to focus and calm down in a way I needed as I got used to not worrying about stuff.  This was something I needed.  However, it was part of a general change of lifestyle and it was a good help in the transition.  It was not the bible reading alone that fixed things (considering that I have been a regular bible reader for decades).

Quote: no amount of will power of self discipline.   Reading the bible won't cure these things.

Sorry to tell you this but these are words of a non believer and if you do not believe in the power of the word you do not believe in God because in the bible god is the word