• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/23/1978

In my church some people speak in tongues, I understand that is gift God give you if you ask, I love to serve God, he is everything for me, I love to praise my father but when is about tongues I'm not sure to wanna get it, is that make me bad Christian the fact I don't feel in my heart to want it?, I was Christian almost all my life, but just the last 2 years ago I feel a big and good change in my life, some people tell me I have to have it and I have to pray for that, I'm kind of confuse about this...

I love my church and I'm happy there. but sometimes don't understand people and it's normal I think cause everybody is different, I like to serve and help that's my thing

thanks for your opinio, make me understand better and feel better 

40 minutes ago, Erika said:

I understand that is gift God give you if you ask,

God will give you the gifts he wants you to have.

Your spirituality most certainly is not dependent on speaking in tongues! 

Here is a bible study on the matter. I have never found anything written on this site that is not biblical.

https://bible.org/article/speaking-tongues

Welcome and Blessings :)

awesome!!! I will read it for sure!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,864
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I remember watch a video on Youtube some time ago where R.C. Sproul discussed tongues and the other spiritual gifts at length, you might want to try searching for it, it was quite well done, as expected from him.

8 hours ago, BK1110 said:

I remember watch a video on Youtube some time ago where R.C. Sproul discussed tongues and the other spiritual gifts at length, you might want to try searching for it, it was quite well done, as expected from him.

Sproul and MacArthur are very good friends. John MacArthur has many videos on the subject as well. His channel is grace to you on youtube. He did a conference a few years ago called "strange fire". He is the only one that I am aware of that had the conviction and guts to address the serious issue.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 9/15/2017 at 11:08 AM, Blueyedjewel said:

Sproul and MacArthur are very good friends. John MacArthur has many videos on the subject as well. His channel is grace to you on youtube. He did a conference a few years ago called "strange fire". He is the only one that I am aware of that had the conviction and guts to address the serious issue.

Personally I identify more with John Piper on the subject.

For a short sample of specifics I encourage a visit to an answer with Biblical reference from John Piper:

http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/must-i-speak-in-tongues-in-order-to-be-saved

1 Corinthians 12 is rather powerful:

1 Corinthians 12English Standard Version (ESV)

Spiritual Gifts

12 Now concerning[a] spiritual gifts,[b] brothers,[c] I do not want you to be uninformed. You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

One Body with Many Members

12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves[d] or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts,[e] yet one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it,25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts.

And I will show you a still more excellent way.

1 Corinthians 13English Standard Version (ESV)

The Way of Love

13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[b] it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Plus from Romans 3:28 a highlight that should give strong clue that  speaking tongues is not a part of salvation. What all need is to love for sure, and what we should also seek is discernment. For all that  are associated with and generally attend Christian bodies of Charismatic, Apostolic, Roman Catholic, Orthodox, or Evangelical leanings  have individual opportunity to be called by the Holy Spirit to repent and turn to Jesus and be saved. Yet all do not gain discernment as to how best to practice their faith after repentance. the gain  of salvation is withinis faith, not in prophecy nor tongues nor any of the spiritual gifts. 

From Romans 3:28 For we hold that one is justified by faith ....

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Paul declared the various gifts to have an order, some considered higher than others, also said earnestly desire them, but then added  a most important statement as he concluded with And I will show you a still more excellent way. What is the more excellent way if it is not love, the theme he develops immediately afterward, for his readers at the church at Corinth?  

Be comfortable in faith through your love of it's brothers and sisters in Christ jesus, cherish those that teach but always read the word of God  and ask of God that He provide the ability to personally  discern His word and His will for you, as to where and how you will worship Him and share of the Gospel of Jesus.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

On 9/14/2017 at 11:28 PM, Erika said:

Some people tell me I have to have it and I have to pray for that, I'm kind of confused about this...

It is about a relationship with God the Father and Jesus Christ. Pour out to God the concerns of your heart and draw closer to him. You are loved and cherished by God. Turn to Jesus for your peace of mind and Joy and then nobody will be able to take it from you. Let your Focus be on Jesus and him alone, and he through the Holy Spirit will equip you with whatever gifts you need. 

• Thumbs Up 1