Delicate Neighbor Situation

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  198
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

If you were caring for your neighbor's (known to be aggressive) dog while he's out of town for no compensation and received two bite wounds from the dog, would you:

1.) Ask him to turn it over to his insurance company?

2.) Only request that he reimburse out of pocket medical expenses?

3.) Ask him for a couple hundred dollars more for pain/suffering and inconvenience?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

28 minutes ago, Shy Christian said:

If you were caring for your neighbor's (known to be aggressive) dog while he's out of town for no compensation and received two bite wounds from the dog, would you:

1.) Ask him to turn it over to his insurance company?

2.) Only request that he reimburse out of pocket medical expenses?

3.) Ask him for a couple hundred dollars more for pain/suffering and inconvenience?

First of all if the dog was an aggressive breed I would have some kind of a contract signed before I took possession of the dog. And both parties would have to sign it. If the neighbor does not like that then that person could go else where. Without a signed contract the above is not worth 2 cents.

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

It would depend on how good my relationship was with my neighbor and my neighbor's general personality and attitude.  The bottom line is that I'd probably base what I'd do on who the neighbor was and my history with him and how much I am concerned about the the money I spent.

Some neighbors I could go to with a "Dude, your dog sent me to urgent care!" and they'd offer to make it right and do something.  Others, I'd approach more tactfully.  Perhaps by asking if the dog was current on their shots with the intent of slipping in the information during the conversation that I ended up at urgent care because it bit me.  I'd then base what I did next on their reaction.  Some people I know would pay for it without thinking (either cash or figuring out how to inform the insurance company).  Others would not.  That then becomes a situation to consider how the money fits within our plans for future relations.

Dogs biting people is serious business.  It could be a small child next time or more severe injuries to someone.  That could result in lawsuits or the dog being confiscated and put down.  A responsible dog owner would appreciate being told and would do what they could to make it right and to make sure it doesn't happen again.   That having been said, some dog owners are not responsible. 

Even been in an auto accident and a person says " Please do not turn this into your insurance. I will pay for this out of my pocket". That happens quite a bit now. Why? Because people do not have automobile insurance. Will you get that money? Not usually. The same thing with having a verbal agreement taking care of a dog of risk.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

If you are in the US, most counties have laws against biting dogs.  That means that you need to check to make sure its rabies shots are current, you need to report the dog bite to the authorities and see a doctor.  Most dog bites get badly infected so you will need antibiotics, and without a rabies certificate the dog will be probably quarantined to make sure it does not have rabies.  Around here there is also a yearly fee for keeping a biting dog.  

Since you volunteered to take the dog knowing that it might bite, you cannot expect them to pay more than medical expenses.  He should volunteer to do so since he is held responsible  and liable for his pet's actions.  

I suffered from a dog taking a chunk out of the back of my calf while walking by their home.  I had never seen the dog before.  The animal control person said it probably had developed a brain tumor.  The people could not afford the biting dog fee and had it put down.

55 minutes ago, Willa said:

If you are in the US, most counties have laws against biting dogs.  That means that you need to check to make sure its rabies shots are current, you need to report the dog bite to the authorities and see a doctor.  Most dog bites get badly infected so you will need antibiotics, and without a rabies certificate the dog will be probably quarantined to make sure it does not have rabies.  Around here there is also a yearly fee for keeping a biting dog.  

Since you volunteered to take the dog knowing that it might bite, you cannot expect them to pay more than medical expenses.  He should volunteer to do so since he is held responsible  and liable for his pet's actions.  

I suffered from a dog taking a chunk out of the back of my calf while walking by their home.  I had never seen the dog before.  The animal control person said it probably had developed a brain tumor.  The people could not afford the biting dog fee and had it put down.

Those stipulations would have to be in a signed agreement or contract.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  198
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

We didn't actually "volunteer".  The neighbor/friend basically recruited us although we weren't happy about it.  Doesn't matter.  Our state has strict liability as far as dog bites and dog owner is responsible - no ifs, ands, or buts.  Dog has had shots.  The person received medical treatment and is still healing.  Dog owner is offended that we would want any more than reimbursement of medical expenses.