Robert William

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  612
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

It's very sad that most preachers nowadays are Pelagian, they are preaching heresy.

Pelagianism

by Matt Slick

Pelagianism derives its name from Pelagius who lived in the 5th century A.D. and was a teacher in Rome, though he was British by birth. It is a heresy dealing with the nature of man. Pelagius, whose family name was Morgan, taught that people had the ability to fulfill the commands of God by exercising the freedom of human will apart from the grace of God. In other words, a person's free will is totally capable of choosing God and/or to do good or bad without the aid of Divine intervention. Pelagianism teaches that man's nature is basically good. Thus it denies original sin, the doctrine that we have inherited a sinful nature from Adam. He said that Adam only hurt himself when he fell, and all of his descendants were not affected by Adam's sin. Pelagius taught that a person is born with the same purity and moral abilities as Adam was when he was first made by God. He taught that people can choose God by the exercise of their free will and rational thought. God's grace, then, is merely an aid to help individuals come to Him.

Pelagianism fails to understand man's nature and weakness. We are by nature sinners (Eph. 2:3; Psalm 51:5). We all have sinned because sin entered the world through Adam: "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned" (Rom. 5:12, NIV). Furthermore, Romans 3:10-12 says, “There is none righteous, not even one; 11 There is none who understands, There is none who seeks for God; 12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless; There is none who does good, There is not even one." Therefore, we are unable to do God's will (Rom. 6:16; 7:14). We were affected by the fall of Adam--contrary to what Pelagius taught.

See also Semi-Pelagianism.

Pelagianism is condemned as a heresy

Pelagius has been condemned by many councils throughout church history including the following:

• Councils of Carthage (412, 416 and 418)
  • Council of Ephesus (431)
  • The Council of Orange (529)
  • Council of Trent (1546) Roman Catholic
  • 2nd Helvetic (1561/66) 8-9. (Swiss-German Reformed)
  • Augsburg Confession (1530) Art. 9, 18 (Lutheran)
  • Gallican Confession (1559) Art. 10 (French Reformed)
  • Belgic Confession (1561) Art. 15 (Lowlands, French/Dutch/German Reformed)
  • The Anglican Articles (1571), 9. (English)
  • Canons of Dort (1618-9), 3/4.2 (Dutch/German/French Reformed).1
Edited by Robert William
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

Pelagianism contradicts Psalm 51:5. All humans die as a result of sin Ezekiel 18:20. The Bible tells us the opposite of pelagianism Romans 3:10-18;Romans 5:12. Pelagianism is not biblical and should be rejected.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Thanks for the new word.

I can understand that some preachers may be, please give me a few examples so I can outwit my ignorance yet further.

Edited by Justin Adams
typo

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Thanks for the new word.

I can understand that some preachers may be, please give me a few examples so I can outwit my ignorance yet further.

Pelagianism- The belief that Adam's sin did not affect future generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

OK. Thanks.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.19

On 9/15/2017 at 6:11 PM, Robert William said:

It's very sad that most preachers nowadays are Pelagian, they are preaching heresy.

Pelagianism

by Matt Slick

Pelagianism derives its name from Pelagius who lived in the 5th century A.D. and was a teacher in Rome, though he was British by birth. It is a heresy dealing with the nature of man. Pelagius, whose family name was Morgan, taught that people had the ability to fulfill the commands of God by exercising the freedom of human will apart from the grace of God. In other words, a person's free will is totally capable of choosing God and/or to do good or bad without the aid of Divine intervention. Pelagianism teaches that man's nature is basically good. Thus it denies original sin, the doctrine that we have inherited a sinful nature from Adam. He said that Adam only hurt himself when he fell, and all of his descendants were not affected by Adam's sin. Pelagius taught that a person is born with the same purity and moral abilities as Adam was when he was first made by God. He taught that people can choose God by the exercise of their free will and rational thought. God's grace, then, is merely an aid to help individuals come to Him.

Pelagianism fails to understand man's nature and weakness. We are by nature sinners (Eph. 2:3; Psalm 51:5). We all have sinned because sin entered the world through Adam: "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned" (Rom. 5:12, NIV). Furthermore, Romans 3:10-12 says, “There is none righteous, not even one; 11 There is none who understands, There is none who seeks for God; 12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless; There is none who does good, There is not even one." Therefore, we are unable to do God's will (Rom. 6:16; 7:14). We were affected by the fall of Adam--contrary to what Pelagius taught.

See also Semi-Pelagianism.

Pelagianism is condemned as a heresy

Pelagius has been condemned by many councils throughout church history including the following:

• Councils of Carthage (412, 416 and 418)
  • Council of Ephesus (431)
  • The Council of Orange (529)
  • Council of Trent (1546) Roman Catholic
  • 2nd Helvetic (1561/66) 8-9. (Swiss-German Reformed)
  • Augsburg Confession (1530) Art. 9, 18 (Lutheran)
  • Gallican Confession (1559) Art. 10 (French Reformed)
  • Belgic Confession (1561) Art. 15 (Lowlands, French/Dutch/German Reformed)
  • The Anglican Articles (1571), 9. (English)
  • Canons of Dort (1618-9), 3/4.2 (Dutch/German/French Reformed).1

Semi-Pelagianism is just as much a problem today.

https://carm.org/semi-pelagianism

21 hours ago, Yowm said:

I don't find most preachers today are Pelagian.

Arminian? yes.

Pelagian? Who is?

As soon as a preacher preaches free will he is downplaying the fall and depravity of man. Scripture teaches that man is born a hater of God and he is dead in sin and is NOT interested in the things of God.

1Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

21 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes but Pelagians teach that man can essentially choose God and do good without any help from the Holy Spirit. Arminians stand halfway between Calvinism and Pelagianism. I find most pastors are Arminians rather than Pelagians. There are different degrees of 'free will' preaching.

21 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes but Pelagians teach that man can essentially choose God and do good without any help from the Holy Spirit. Arminians stand halfway between Calvinism and Pelagianism. I find most pastors are Arminians rather than Pelagians. There are different degrees of 'free will' preaching.

Arminians preach total depravity but then still preach free will, that still makes them Pelagian heretics. :) It's very sad but we have come full circle and are back to the Pelagian heresy, I think it's part of the great falling away.

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

That would be the same as an Arminian saying a person is a Calvinistic heretic because they hold to 3/5 points of Tulip. All nonsense.

Arminians still preach that the natural man can freely choose to embrace the gospel, but scripture teaches the opposite, yes the call goes out to all but ONLY those who are born again will embrace the gospel.

1Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

On 9/16/2017 at 10:47 PM, Robert William said:

Arminians preach total depravity but then still preach free will, that still makes them Pelagian heretics. :) It's very sad but we have come full circle and are back to the Pelagian heresy, I think it's part of the great falling away.

Arminians emphasize the ability and freedom of man to choose God and so does Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism, that alone makes them all heretical. :)