Liberty

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What is the worst thing a Christian can say to you when you're feeling down ?

I'm asking because I've encountered many instances in my own life when I was down and when I approached a Christian, many of them would say "God knows what I am going through".

Really?  That's it ?

How is that supposed to make me feel better ??

Have any of you received the same kind of advise/response, and how did that make you feel ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 9/16/2017 at 10:42 PM, Liberty said:

I'm asking because I've encountered many instances in my own life when I was down and when I approached a Christian, many of them would say "God knows what I am going through".

Really?  That's it ?

Have any of you received the same kind of advise/response, and how did that make you feel ?

Are you a praying woman? Are you a born again Christian?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

"You're a sinner.  Look at all these sins you're guilty of committing.  Join my church and you can be saved!"

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,708
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Well he does, but on that note I Know that's hard to grasp when your hurting. Focus more on whether the person is just saying it to placate you, or whether they're saying it because they genuinely care. Many people will say this because they care, but they realize that they themselves have not been there, and they don't know what else to say.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Really?  That's it ?

Hi, First I try not to  "feel down"- the very best way for me to do that is to remember our now deceased deacon H. N. who when asked as a greeting, "How ya doing?" always always responded, "Better than I deserve!"

As to the very worst, most useless and to me mindless comment of concerned commentary, is the question from any Christian  brother or sister in Christ  about one's  recently deceased family member," Were they saved?".

Say what?  Where does the conversation go from there? 

The very worst comments though are the ones that come fro those that sincerely believe all bad things are simply allowed by God. and that all things evil are the work of demons within the victim of  a bad happening. Leaving the conclusion that the sufferer is at fault in some manner. yet almost as bad is the bad things happen to  good people assessment left  to stand alone without any  further commentary.

Truth is perhaps to be found that individuals in general have very little experience expressing compassion. And so  do not do it very well when they want to declare their interest and concern. Personally I think that what a person does in response to another person's hurt, is more helpful than what a person might say. For there really is no magic phrase that takes away a hurt or a down feeling, least not as much  as an act of kindness which takes some time to do conveys to a hurting individual. The receipt of such a kindness leaves the down person with a wow that was nice that was kind thought, plus the opportunity to share with another person  that, "People have been so kind to me in my plight, why one even.... ".                     It helps with  the healing from a hurt to be able to share of the kindness received.

9 hours ago, bryan said:

"You're a sinner.  Look at all these sins you're guilty of committing.  Join my church and you can be saved!"

You are right Bryan! For it is Jesus' church that they should be led to, not any man's church, and led there by the Holy Spirit.

What do you think? Might such a greeting or conversation commentary be changed some into a question like ;" We are all born into sin are we not? And our only hope of recovery from that standing as sinfilled individuals before God is to be washed of our sin by the mercy and grace from God alone,  which as been made available to us through the calling of the Holy Spirit to awareness of the saving grace and mercy  made for each of us by Jesus.  Would you agree?"

What do you think, is there a much better opening that you might use?

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Really?  That's it ?

Yea we are scared of bad things happening to us , but as eternal being why would you care that something bad happend to you , thank God that you wake up today because you are not guaranteed to wake up every day .

You are persecuted because you do not belong to this world if you are Christians John 15:20

He took you out of this world  John 17:14 , John 17:16

Jesus is not praying for this dirty filthy world which is cursed and dying , you as Christian belong to comming 1000 year Kingdom and then New Heaven and New Earth , not this one .

John 17:9

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Really?  That's it ?

That's a generic, "I really don't want to deal with your issue" answer.  Then they brush you off and move on.

• Loved it! 1

7 minutes ago, Steve_K said:

That's a generic, "I really don't want to deal with your issue" answer.  Then they brush you off and move on.

Never heard that one Steve, either as a specific or a "generic" type of response.

Think if I did though, I would thank God that they did not give me any advice. It being a kind of "blessed omission" from my life's experiences.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Really?  That's it ?

"Your depression is caused by sin in your life."  Lets just say, that didn't help me at all.