• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

21 hours ago, Running Gator said:

I will say I am always amused/confused as to why Reagan is so admired by conservatives.  I was an adult for most of the Reagan presidency and at the time was a far right Conservative and thought Reagan was the cat's meow.  But as I have aged and looked back upon his term, I see very few conservative actions.   He never met a tax hike he did not like, he is still the only POTUS to ever double (and in his case almost triple) the deficit as compared to all other presidents before him and while you say he was a "speed bump" in the road to an all powerful government, I say he was a driving force behind such a thing.  

I think Reagan was a 'delegator' compared to, say, Jimmy Carter - a micro-manager.  Reagan had a lot of people around him who weren't really conservative.  Both styles of management have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think Reagan was loved by conservatives because he was a 'visionary' and, as an actor, a lot of what he said and did touched our emotions and feelings.  For instance, I still remember his speech, after the Challenger disaster:  ". . . [they] slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God . . . "

It still gives me chills.

But yes - you're right in that when you look closely, especially at the economics, you see flaws.  That's why I listed his part in ending the so-called 'cold war.'  He did it mainly by in effect bankrupting the Soviet Union.  Unfortunately, we were almost bankrupted at the same time.

And even that, over time, has been overshadowed by the endless 'war on terror' we now find ourselves fighting.  In hindsight, some aspects of the old 'cold war' don't look so bad.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

44 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

I think Reagan was a 'delegator' compared to, say, Jimmy Carter - a micro-manager.  Reagan had a lot of people around him who weren't really conservative.  Both styles of management have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think Reagan was loved by conservatives because he was a 'visionary' and, as an actor, a lot of what he said and did touched our emotions and feelings.  For instance, I still remember his speech, after the Challenger disaster:  ". . . [they] slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God . . . "

It still gives me chills.

But yes - you're right in that when you look closely, especially at the economics, you see flaws.  That's why I listed his part in ending the so-called 'cold war.'  He did it mainly by in effect bankrupting the Soviet Union.  Unfortunately, we were almost bankrupted at the same time.

And even that, over time, has been overshadowed by the endless 'war on terror' we now find ourselves fighting.  In hindsight, some aspects of the old 'cold war' don't look so bad.

Blessings,

-Ed

Reagan was a great leader, that I think is without question.   He is one of the reasons I choose to go into the military.  

But he really was not a conservative. 

Your mentioning of of him ending the cold war by basically bankrupting the USSR, got me to wondering if that is not the goal of the terrorist.   They spend $25 dollars worth of explosives and we respond with millions upon millions of dollars of hardware.  

And now we have been convinced we need to spend even more money and blood in Afghanistan.  To me Trump's choice to up the ante there was a win for them and one more straw on our backs, eventually there will be too many of them. 

• Thumbs Up 1