Justin Adams

Don't point your canon at me please.

Ok Brother. That is just fine by me. What you believe is what you believe; 
Namely: "The Holy Spirit only inspired 66 books and those are the Scriptures He uses to guide us."

I would hesitate to tell anyone WHAT to believe and WHY they should believe it because belief is a strictly personal thing. I would however suggest sources that have helped me understand a great deal. By this I am suggesting, based on reason. Never would I demand that another believe anything. They must study for themselves. I would be careful not to assert that what I believe is the only way the Holy Spirit can guide Christians, and those who have not yet made a conscious decision to be Saved. As I mentioned (but you did not include in your rebuttal);
Namely: "In 1600's the RCC removed some books. Originally in the 1611 bible there were 80. In the Ethiopian canon there are 88."

44 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Here we have a conundrum. You say that Justin has no authority to say what was inspired by God, yet you also say that others did have that authority. So you now have become the authority on who is an authority. Interesting.

Remember, when Paul wrote that all Scripture is God-breathed, the Jews had not even finalized their canon for the Old Testament. We have no knowledge of what Paul included in his personal canon of the Scriptures.

No conundrum whatsoever.  You only think it is that because you believe that it is "others" that are speaking in the Bible

You do  Not believe the Bible IS what IT says it is. 

I do. 

10 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Namely: "The Holy Spirit only inspired 66 books and those are the Scriptures He uses to guide us."

I would hesitate to tell anyone WHAT to believe and WHY they should believe it because belief is a strictly personal thing. I would however suggest sources that have helped me understand a great deal. By this I am suggesting, based on reason. Never would I demand that another believe anything. They must study for themselves. I would be careful not to assert that what I believe is the only way the Holy Spirit can guide Christians, and those who have not yet made a conscious decision to be Saved. As I mentioned (but you did not include in your rebuttal);
Namely: "In 1600's the RCC removed some books. Originally in the 1611 bible there were 80. In the Ethiopian canon there are 88."

But you claim that God has "inspired" other books- by what are you saying that?  playing the odds? 

Pity those that do not recognize that the Bible is the Word of God- singularly.

• Please stop fighting!  Thanks!  :) 1

4 minutes ago, Davida said:

No conundrum whatsoever.  You only think it is that because you believe that it is "others" that are speaking in the Bible

Huh? I have no clue what you mean by this.

5 minutes ago, Davida said:

You do  Not believe the Bible IS what IT says it is. 

I believe what the Bible teaches.

I don't believe the Bible says anything about itself, because that makes no sense. The Bible is a book, books have teachings, but books don't talk about themselves.

And the Bible nowhere states, because it it unable to, that it is the sole source of inspired knowledge.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Davida said:

But you claim that God has "inspired" other books- by what are you saying that?  playing the odds? 

Pity those that do not recognize that the Bible is the Word of God- singularly.

I claim nothing of the sort. I am saying that the Church Fathers and other auspicious persons claimed that some of the books that were later left out were inspired. If they did so why should I not read them? Why should you not read them? Or have we been so indoctrinated that fear of them forbid this?

I quote another brother on this thread: "Remember, when Paul wrote that all Scripture is God-breathed, the Jews had not even finalized their canon for the Old Testament. We have no knowledge of what Paul included in his personal canon of the Scriptures." (WilliamL)

The WORD of God (singularity is Yeshua - Jesus). 

28 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

What I believe is the truth and the manuscript evidence supports it.   For some reason, the Bible isn't enough for you.   You make your appeal based on men and what men claim.  My views are based on the solid rock of Scripture.  

6 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Huh? I have no clue what you mean by this.

I believe what the Bible teaches.

I don't believe the Bible says anything about itself, because that makes no sense. The Bible is a book, books have teachings, but books don't talk about themselves.

And the Bible nowhere states, because it it unable to, that it is the sole source of inspired knowledge.

The Bible testifies of itself- yes in many scriptures if we have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness"

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, Justin Adams said:

There are indeed many book that are Inspired by the Lord God. I think that the 66 books can be included in that number but I do not see that God's Inspirations can be limited by man's understanding to a particular number of books. Can the "create" limit the CREATOR?  I think not.

We tread on very dangerous ground if we dare try to limit our Lord God who made all that is from that which is not. He is Alpha and Omega. He is un-create. He is I AM.

Here is where you posted it.

29 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I claim nothing of the sort. I am saying that the Church Fathers and other auspicious persons claimed that some of the books that were later left out were inspired. If they did so why should I not read them? Why should you not read them? Or have we been so indoctrinated that fear of them forbid this?

I quote another brother on this thread: "Remember, when Paul wrote that all Scripture is God-breathed, the Jews had not even finalized their canon for the Old Testament. We have no knowledge of what Paul included in his personal canon of the Scriptures." (WilliamL)

The WORD of God (singularity is Yeshua - Jesus). 

Here is where you deny making that claim in previous post  that you said,  "indeed many books are inspired by the Lord God"

And I still think that God has inspired many books. I am unsure of the full extent of them so can not categorically say which ones. I do not intend to catalog them as you do because I do not know. So I do not categorically 'claim' any particular books by "playing the odds" as you (so kindly) put it. However, in the post in question I am referring to the Fathers and I did not 'claim' any of them in particular. My prior argument is that whatever I claim, or you claim, does not effect the fact of the matter that many others CLAIMED there were 'other' book that are inspired. 

My 'claim' is that others with more knowledge and understanding made claims of Inspiration. I can make no such claims myself, but I can "REPORT THOSE VIEWS". So in short, my unsubstantiated 'claim' is that there are other books to examine. Ergo; I claim other sources of Inspiration. Or to put it another way, "to call for" or "require attention".(Merriam/Webster)

Furthermore, my understanding of today is that God cannot be limited by His Creation.