Steve_K

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

A person gets divorced, a friend that has never been married says "I understand"

A grieving mourner at the funeral home has someone tell them "I understand"

A person with health problems hears from a healthy person "I understand"

Even Christians say this at times. No, we don't understand at all. 

Pray with the person, talk to them, encourage them with scripture, but don't claim to understand how or what they feel. when you don't.

From personal experience I can tell you it gets frustrating and even insulting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Yet what if the HOLY SPIRIT gives us the understanding of how one feels , though we ourselves have never went through it.

IF GOD can speak all the worlds into existence, I wont limit the ablity of HIS SPIRIT to give anything to the one who is of him to share with another.

Steve.   I aint attacking but I have noticed some of your posts.   you seem At times angry and frustrated.  

Here is the best advice I can offer.  START afresh in the LORD, read that holy bible daily, ask God to change in you what needs to be changed.

Have the joy of the LORD, and when by grace we realize how wicked our flesh is, its real easy to not see others as worse than us.

the truth is CHRIST is the only goodness I have.  and the power to crucify my own evil flesh.   yeah we have that power too, if we follow the SPIRIT.

When I see errors in others.........OH I do correct.   but in my mind this always is...........OH LORD , the only goodness ihave,  keep me from the evil of my own

flesh  For if it were not for THE LORD, I would be far worse than most people I know.     Just feast from the LORD steve.

Hey steve , IF GOD can change a wicked thing like me, and continues to work on me,    I KNOW he can change anyone.  you just be encouraged in that today.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, Steve_K said:

actually, that is something everyone understands. I dare you to find someone, anyone, who has never lost someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, Steve_K said:

A person gets divorced, a friend that has never been married says "I understand"

Pray with the person, talk to them, encourage them with scripture, but don't claim to understand how or what they feel. when you don't.

I don't get why that is wrong thing to say. Mostly when someone says that there just meaning there sorry to see you in pain or trouble. At least that's how I take it. We cannot understand fully of course but we all have gone through problems. Now Jesus was made like us so he could be a faithful high priest.  He understands our needs and troubles.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Steve_K said:

No one can really understand and have the total compassion of what a person is going through unless they have gone through that exact situation themselves. No one can judge another person unless they have walked a mile in that person's shoes.  It really used to bug me when I was pregnant with my children and  my male obstetrician would tell me he knew what I was going through.....no he didn't!!! :wacko:

But God does understand and He really does know what you are going through. That is why we take our problems and our heartaches to Him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

No one can really understand and have the total compassion of what a person is going through unless they have gone through that exact situation themselves. No one can judge another person unless they have walked a mile in that person's shoes.  It really used to bug me when I was pregnant with my children and  my male obstetrician would tell me he knew what I was going through.....no he didn't!!! :wacko:

But God does understand and He really does know what you are going through. That is why we take our problems and our heartaches to Him.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, Steve_K said:

You know Steve I am a caregiver for my son who is disabled and he can relate that no one except Christ knows what he is going through :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Ill go fetch the cheese to go with the whine-ing.

:huh:

• Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Replying "I understand" when you have no personal, specific experience is frequently both arrogant and insulting.  

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Just what we all need. Another 'do not' when just trying to be kind. :(

indeed, there is another thread that is complaing when someone doesnt say "I understand" but instead says "God understands" when the truth of the matter is, many people when in pain, can't see past that pain, and lash out at anyone who tries to help, regardless of what they say. Its sad, and Im not being sarcastic at all-it truly is sad, when people are in this much pain they refuse to accept help and lash out. It creates a viscious circle of pain, because then the people who they lashed out against are now hurt, because the person hurt lashed out in pain, and avoid helping people in the future, and then those people who are hurt in the future are further hurt because no one will help them out, and they continue the cycle.

• Thumbs Up 2