Robert William

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  612
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  0

If guys are going to embrace free will I will go somewhere else. :)

1 minute ago, Blueyedjewel said:

If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen? Can I get you some cheese to go with your whine?

Bluryedjewel, I love the heat int the kitchen of Theology. :)

Then why the "whining look at me" post?

You said you would go somewhere else. I guess debating gets too difficult? Good luck with finding a site that agrees with you 100%

Edited by Guest

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

12 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Then why the "whining look at me" post?

You said you would go somewhere else. I guess debating gets too difficult? Good luck with finding a site that agrees with you 100%

I've been an active member of roughly 6 Christian forums.  Worthy, in my opinion, is the best so far that I have found.  But I believe God created me with free will, not some programmed android.  I agree with you on your last post Blueeyedjewel.  It's not just a matter of debating, more importantly, it's a matter of what God's word says.

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

It's not just a matter of debating, more importantly, it's a matter of what God's word says.

I agree with that. Why debate if we are not debating to defend the faith? Rhetorical question of course.

6 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

I agree with that. Why debate if we are not debating to defend the faith? Rhetorical question of course.

I think of debate as an argument to prove a winner, not necessarily the truth.  I stand on the side of truth whether I win or lose a debate is immaterial to me.  And the truth is found only after a deep study of God's written word, not necessarily taking some denomination's opinion, or some translator's opinion, but following the truth of God's word, in context, wherever it leads.  So defending the faith is paramount against those who choose to believe a lie.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Robert William said:

Bluryedjewel, I love the heat int the kitchen of Theology. :)

So why are you threatening to leave if some of us believe in free will?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I think of debate as an argument to prove a winner, not necessarily the truth.  I stand on the side of truth whether I win or lose a debate is immaterial to me.  And the truth is found only after a deep study of God's written word, not necessarily taking some denomination's opinion, or some translator's opinion, but following the truth of God's word, in context, wherever it leads.  So defending the faith is paramount against those who choose to believe a lie.

Very well said and I fully agree. :)

• Thanks 1

Calvinism and Arminianism are two main theological perspectives that deal with salvation. Calvinism is named after the teachings of the theologian John Calvin (1509-1564). Arminianism is named after the teachings of the theologian Jacobus Arminius (1559-1609). The Calvinist perspective has been summarized in TULIP:  Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistible grace, Perseverance of the saints.  No corresponding acronym is widely used for the Arminian perspective.

Calvinism emphasizes the sovereignty of God and God's right to choose people for salvation (Acts 13:48; 2 Thessalonians 2:13). Arminians emphasize the ability and freedom of man to choose God (Joshua 24:15).

In Calvinism, God is the ultimate and deciding factor in the salvation of individuals. In Arminianism, man's response to God's grace is the deciding factor.

Calvinists affirm God's sovereignty over his creation (Rom. 9:22-23), sinful man's inability to freely choose God (1 Cor. 2:14), in God's electing and predestining people to salvation (2 Thess. 2:13) which is by God's choice not man's (John 1:13; Rom. 9:16), and that the saved are eternally secure because their salvation rests in Christ's work, not man's faithfulness (John 10:27-28). Arminians affirm the sovereignty of man's will and ability to choose God, that God's predestining of people is based on his foreseen knowledge of their choices, that Jesus died for all people who ever lived, and that is possible to lose one's salvation.

Calvinism and Arminianism comparison grid
  CALVINISM ARMINIANISM
Man Total depravity.  Man is completely touched/affected by sin in all that he is (in nature he is completely fallen) but is not as bad as he could be (in action, i.e., not all murder, etc.). Furthermore, this total depravity means that the unregenerate will not, of their own sinful free will, choose to receive Christ. Free Will.  Man is totally affected by sin in all that he is, but with the prompting of the Holy Spirit the unbeliever is capable of freely choosing God. 
Election Unconditional election.  God elects a person based upon nothing in that person because there is nothing in him that would make him worthy of being chosen; rather, God's election is based on what is in God. God chose us because he decided to bestow his love and grace upon us, not because we are worthy, in and of ourselves, of being saved. Conditional Election.  Election to salvation is conditioned upon God's foreseen faith in the person.
Atonement Limited atonement.  Christ bore the sin only of the elect, not everyone who ever lived.1  Universal Atonement.  Jesus bore the sin of all people, the elect and the non-elect.
Regeneration Irresistible grace.  The act of God making the person willing to receive him. It does not mean that a person cannot resist God's will.  It means that when God moves to save/regenerate a person, the sinner cannot successfully resist God's movement and he will be regenerated.  Resistible Grace.  The sinner can successfully resist the grace of God and not be regenerated when God convicts that person.
Security Perseverance of the saints.  We are so secure in Christ that we cannot fall away.  Falling From Grace.  It is possible to fall away from the faith and lose one's salvation.2