Chrysandra

Why is accountability not a bad thing?

18 hours ago, Chrysandra said:

And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with no self-control and responsibility? How does it hurt me? It can't hurt me or any other perpetrator THAT much, 'cause if it did, we wouldn't do it. I think the real victims are those who are affected by my actions, even though I don't intend to hurt people.

And no, I don't just want no self-control or responsibility--I want to be blameless--to be a victim--to be innocent. Why would anybody want to be guilty?

No one wants to be guilty, of course. But the question is whether we are or not. If the Bible is true and sin is sin, then we're guilty, regardless of our feelings on the matter. No one wants to have cancer, but "I don't want to have cancer, what's wrong with not wanting to be sick?" wouldn't be the appropriate response to a diagnosis of leukemia. If you've got it, you've got it. You can only talk about not wanting to be guilty if you go in assuming there are no absolute morals or right and wrong in the first place. If there is absolute right and wrong, then our not wanting to be guilty won't make us any less so.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:17 AM, Chrysandra said:

I know this may sound strange, but I hate the idea of accountability because I don't like the idea of being guilty or responsible for anything. When my urges, genetic predispositions or impulses are blamed, it wipes my slate clean, it makes me innocent and blameless. Taking responsibility does not alleviate one's guilt--it solidifies it. And I don't want that.......

I just don't see accountability as helpful to me at all. I see it as accusatory, relentless, judgmental and unapologetic. It's more of an insult to me......

I'm honestly at a loss as to why people agree otherwise.....

Many people might feel that way at a certain age or in certain conditions. At the same time people change, make bad mistakes, take responsibility in their own families. So what you describe is not forever. All is changing. May be you feel proud of your predisposition at the moment? I met many students like you when I was a teacher and I never tried to get on their nerves. I did not correct them. Life itself is the best teacher in most cases. There is one question I want to ask. Have you met any people who are like you? I mean friends. Do you like them?

Wishing you all the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Dear Sister,

Even the natural world is accountable. Take the Law of Gravity for instance. Those who choose to ignore it or disbelieve it are doomed to a life of pain....or a very short life at the end of a very long fall. If you drop a hammer in the vicinity of your feet, but do not believe in gravity, you will undoubtedly feel pain in a second when the hammer smashes your toe. If you take a step off a high cliff, whether you believe in gravity or not, gravity will cause consequences that are pretty much irreparable. Now whether you stepped off the cliff accidentally or because of one of your urges, gravity will hold you accountable for what happens next.

As others have stated very eloquently, God is the same. Whether you believe in Him or not, He believes in you and He chose to hold Himself accountable for you in His Word, the Bible. He made an offer to you of His only Son, so that you could be free from accountability to sin and death. Those who believe in Jesus give up their accountability to death (separation from God for eternity) in order to exchange it for accountability to Jesus Christ (who is life for eternity). Yes, it means there are things you no longer do. But it also means that by confessing your sin and guilt, Jesus can wash it away and apply His righteousness so that you are no longer guilty. As Scripture says, He removes sins away from us as far as the East is from the West.

Soooooo, if you really want to be free from sin and guilt, the eternal way to do it is to accept Jesus and choose to be accountable to Him.

• This is Worthy 1

Well said No124get1952.......

the eternal way to do it is to accept Jesus and choose to be accountable to Him.

:amen:

• Loved it! 2