• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

For me, staying out of the Politics threads has helped. There are handful of folks who natter on incessantly and world without end, amen about you-know-who, and it appears it's never going to get any better, so for the most part I just leave 'em to their ravings. Makes things a lot nicer in the other threads.

• Praise God! 1

23 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

For me, staying out of the Politics threads has helped. There are handful of folks who natter on incessantly and world without end, amen about you-know-who, and it appears it's never going to get any better, so for the most part I just leave 'em to their ravings. Makes things a lot nicer in the other threads.

I agree. Its kind of an odd dichotomy, the " christian left". I dont see any reason to argue about things that take the focus off of Jesus and his word.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

42 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

I have been trying to avoid the political forums lately. (Trying being the key word)  In fact I have not even been watching the news very much for the pass few weeks. So that I won't be tempted to post news articles. They seem to set everyone off when I do. :mellow:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I have been trying to avoid the political forums lately. (Trying being the key word)  In fact I have not even been watching the news very much for the pass few weeks. So that I won't be tempted to post news articles. They seem to set everyone off when I do. :mellow:

It was quite the wonderful experience to be blacked out from politics, and really all news, for a week after Irma. I had no idea what might be happening even a block away. Though while at California I did see a local slow car chase of a bad guy by  police. Ho Hum, just another day there.

Guess I can survive without my daily dose of FOX Cable calamities.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Right, with politics any opinion goes. With theology, hopefully it is narrowed down to Scripture or some facsimile thereof lol.

I'm very hesitant to post some messages and bible study documents I developed for our home church for the same reason.  Opinions about how to interpret scripture and which view is correct frequently seems to change from comparing viewpoints to personal attacks.   I'd love to get other viewpoints to better develop and / or correct things I missed.   However, which any viewpoint or correction is presented as 'You're wrong.  I'm right.  This is God's word.' it's not helpful.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

5 minutes ago, bryan said:

I'm very hesitant to post some messages and bible study documents I developed for our home church for the same reason.  Opinions about how to interpret scripture and which view is correct frequently seems to change from comparing viewpoints to personal attacks.   I'd love to get other viewpoints to better develop and / or correct things I missed.   However, which any viewpoint or correction is presented as 'You're wrong.  I'm right.  This is God's word.' it's not helpful.

That is one downfall of a discussion forum, while at the same time, a benefit of it.  It all depends on if the one being flamed allows other peoples words have control over how they feel.  Pass over the personal insults and look at the content they provide.  If they provide no scripture, pay no attention to their post at all.   Just realize that they don't even know who you are, and you have no idea who they are.  Each posted is just a person behind a keyboard somewhere in the world and may never meet.  Why let them control how you feel?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, John Robinson said:

I have found that there are two opposite sides of the same coin: feeling hurt or offended by persons who say harsh statements and the other side of coin being bored and feeling stifled because you can't share your opinion because you left a forum (literally and technologically in this case) where you were able to share your opinion. The cold hard fact is that if you are going to discuss anything it can turn into a debate, and demeaning people can show up and demean you; this is the cost package we must weight compared to meeting great brothers and sisters in Christ here, and getting to talk about subjects you cannot ordinarily talk about at church. In the end you have to decide with your own conscious and convictions if the gains are worth the strains? Each must answer this for themselves.

May the LORD Jesus bless you during your recovery.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  08/20/1948

Well hey.  Looks like it was a really short sabbatical.    I went to answer one question.....  But I do feel better.

• Thumbs Up 2