Tane

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, I'm new here! Very happy to find a place to ask a tough question!

My husband is a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed at the age of 18. He wasn't managing his diabetes like he should and suffered complications in late July. Since then he's had one medical emergency after another. 

I'm a natural care giver and have done everything the Dr's have order to get him back in good health. Not only taking care of his medical/physical needs, but also praying, believing, feeding on the Word and trusting the Lord for his healing. Some days he is strong and seems to have faith, but others he is very pessimistic and won't do the things he needs to do to get healthy and whole. My main thing is drinking enough liquids and staying hydrated. He has had issues with his kidneys, but thank the Lord his kidneys are back to normal!

while praying and giving this to the Lord, He told me to quit trying to fix him. I'm kinda lost on this. How do I not take care of him and make sure his medical needs are met. He argues with me about things he needs to do! I'm unsure of not 'fixing' him, but still being his caretaker and wife. 

Edited by Tane
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,811
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Welcome! Can I ask how you know the Lord "told" you this?

Praying for your situation!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

There are some things we can help others with; there are some things that they must decide to do themselves.

When you say you are his "caretaker", is he disabled in some way?  Or is it just that he doesn't take care of his medical condition?

How is the rest of his life?  Is he satisfied and content? stressed?  Is work going good? or unemployed?   I spent many years way too stressed out about work and other things and it affected my health.  The simple act of leaving my last two jobs due to stress and poor working conditions and I've lost about 60 pounds in the past few years without changing my diet or lifestyle much.  There can be emotional or other things in life that affect our health and ability to take care of ourselves.

If there are spiritual or emotional things that are dragging him down, those could be having an impact on his health and motivation to do things.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  7

On 9/22/2017 at 2:24 AM, Tane said:

My husband is a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed at the age of 18. He wasn't managing his diabetes like he should and suffered complications in late July. Since then he's had one medical emergency after another. 

I'm a natural care giver and have done everything the Dr's have order to get him back in good health. Not only taking care of his medical/physical needs, but also praying, believing, feeding on the Word and trusting the Lord for his healing. Some days he is strong and seems to have faith, but others he is very pessimistic and won't do the things he needs to do to get healthy and whole. My main thing is drinking enough liquids and staying hydrated. He has had issues with his kidneys, but thank the Lord his kidneys are back to normal!

while praying and giving this to the Lord, He told me to quit trying to fix him. I'm kinda lost on this. How do I not take care of him and make sure his medical needs are met. He argues with me about things he needs to do! I'm unsure of not 'fixing' him, but still being his caretaker and wife. 

Hi Tane,

Praying for you. As a wife, I can understand your concern for your husband. It can be hard seeing someone we love struggling. I admire those who are able to care for a spouse when there is a lengthy illness. I pray for strength for both of you and wisdom in handling the situation.

I pray that you experience His Grace during this time. Blessings :) 

My Grace is Sufficient for You.jpg

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/22/2017 at 8:24 AM, Tane said:

Welcome Tane.  

Sometimes we love someone dearly to the extent that we try to do everything for them, forgetting that they would like to do some things by themselves.  If he can do the things he needs to do, is there any reasons for not allowing him to do it.  No one enjoys being dependent on another person.  We all like our independence.  Allow him space to do whatever he can do.  It may stop the argument.  You may be surprised that he can do somethings by himself.   

You can't fix him.  Allow God to do that.  All you can do is see yourself as someone who God is using to help him in whatever way you can. 

Keep praying and holding on to God.