• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

16 hours ago, Enoch2021 said:

"A GAS is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a CONTAINER in which it is held and acquires a uniform density inside the CONTAINER, EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF GRAVITY and regardless of the amount of substance in the CONTAINER. If not confined to a CONTAINER, gaseous matter, also known as vapor, WILL DISPERSE INTO SPACE."
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/gas

You can confirm this yourself.  Go out and depress the pin on your Car Tire and tell us what happens...?

C.  And, Where's the "CONTAINER" in your explanation...?

While all this sounds like you think you have overwhelmed a truth with your response, in actuality you have not proved anything.  Can you explain the mechanism occurring by which we can repeatedly measure atmospheric pressure dropping with elevation?  Pressure inside a container should prove to be equal at all points inside said container.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, hmbld said:

I had no idea you had left it out other than intentionally, as you had rounded figures for simplicity sake, I was only wanting to explore the example you gave, as no doubt there are numerous forces that could be added to calculations, such as the sun's motion etc, all are fairly insignificant.  I suppose if the moon can move oceans, even the moon's gravity could be calculated on the plane in flight.  

I had tunnel vision on the shape of the movement and had the merry-go-round example fresh in my mind so I was only thinking about circular motion.  Wow.  Take a year off in semi-retirement and I get rusty. :)  That's why there's a peer review process.   Now that you've mentioned the moon, curiosity will probably get the better of me at some point and I'll calculate that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

1 minute ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I had tunnel vision on the shape of the movement and had the merry-go-round example fresh in my mind so I was only thinking about circular motion.  Wow.  Take a year off in semi-retirement and I get rusty. :)  That's why there's a peer review process.   Now that you've mentioned the moon, curiosity will probably get the better of me at some point and I'll calculate that.

ok, only for sake of the mental exercise, would the force of gravity from the moon change with the arrangement of the plane, earth and moon?  Such as if the plane is directly between the earth and the moon, the moon would be exerting gravity to the top of the plane, etc.  What about if the plane is opposite the moon, does the same gravitational force exist with the earth position between the moon and the plane?  What I mean is, does the moon's gravity have the same effect even though a larger mass is blocking the path between the moon and the plane?   I really don't know. 

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

12 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

This thread is about how a physicist approaches various physics problems.  

Sir your nonsensical claims got EXPOSED six ways from Sunday, you're "Whistlin Past The Graveyard".  btw: This Color-Commentary "Op-ED" offering here, indicts you even more.

Many people do not get to see how we practicing scientists and engineers approach problems.

If you're a Practicing Scientist, I'm a Saudi Prince and a Mau Mau Fighter Pilot.

ps.  Engineering isn't "Science".

I have no desire to waste my time dealing with either true-believers or trolls on fringe ideas such as flat earth nonsense.

Calling people names and 'labeling' topics isn't a coherent argument or position, professor; it's a Screaming "TELL" for the lack of them. (It's also against Forum Rules)

This thread is not about debating flat-earth nonsense.

That Horse dun left the Barn already sir. :rolleyes:

ps.  And it was "YOU" who Opened The Door.

When it reaches the point of saying two equations that are algebraically different and give different numbers are really identical and a misleading equation might not be corrected in the future, this indicates to me that the intended purpose of the responses is likely either an unending true-believer ideological monologue or a trollish waste of my time.  I refuse to engage anymore whichever the case may be.

Translation: I have no coherent argument or position, so I'll post a clumsily contrived appeal to a concept a 3rd grader can reconcile then feign conjured exasperation so as to somehow cloak my impotence in a feeble attempt to save face and prepare my Exit...Stage Left!

It's validating the Opposite.

Don't worry, my response to your OP is still sitting there :cool:.   

I do not know the motivation behind all of the flat-earth advocacy.

Appeal to Motive/Intent Fallacy.

Perhaps it's Celebrating the TRUTH of God's Word and Exposing man's Fairytales. 

I now request that this thread return to its original purpose.

And what was that, per adventure?

regards

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Really interesting this. When I did my various pilot's certificates I had to learn a some of this. Most as fixed or semi-fixed constants, since low flying does not really get very complicated. I often wondered about the equator variance and saw (observed) that on passing the equator (N to S) in a ship, that indeed the water spiral down the plug-hole did go the other way in the southern hemisphere. How this Coriolis Effect affects the oceans I can only wonder at. Add the orbital mass of the moon (tidal effect) and the model becomes astoundingly complicated to me.

Thanks for the complex postings.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Oh ouch, I stumbled onto your conversation and got an instant migraine, lol, how those types of brains work is beyond me...I only think I'm smart

2 hours ago, hmbld said:

While all this sounds like you think you have overwhelmed a truth with your response 

Say again?

in actuality you have not proved anything.

I beg to differ.

Can you explain the mechanism occurring by which we can repeatedly measure atmospheric pressure dropping with elevation?

Red Herring and Begging The Question Fallacies.

The question isn't measuring Atmospheric Pressure, it's...

How do you have a Pressurized System (Gas/Atmospheric Pressure) to BEGIN WITH...so as to "Measure".

Pressure inside a container should prove to be equal at all points inside said container.

And we can get to that right after you show how we can have a Gas/Atmospheric Pressure without a Container...?

regards

2 hours ago, hmbld said:

ok, only for sake of the mental exercise, would the force of gravity from the moon change with the arrangement of the plane, earth and moon?  Such as if the plane is directly between the earth and the moon, the moon would be exerting gravity to the top of the plane, etc.  What about if the plane is opposite the moon, does the same gravitational force exist with the earth position between the moon and the plane?  What I mean is, does the moon's gravity have the same effect even though a larger mass is blocking the path between the moon and the plane?   I really don't know. 

This is kind of fun for me.  I'm having to go back to stuff I haven't thought about in ages.   I had to think about this one a bit.  I then remembered the derivation of the acceleration of gravity at the earth's surface starting from Newton's equation of gravitation.

Basically, the masses do not screen each other.  For astronomical bodies like the earth and moon (which are mostly spherical), you can more or less treat them as point sources with the gravitational fields originating from the center.  F = G m1*m2/r^2  where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the two masses attracting each other, and r is the distance between their centers.  For most purposes, it is unnecessary to worry about general relativity.

4 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I often wondered about the equator variance and saw (observed) that on passing the equator (N to S) in a ship, that indeed the water spiral down the plug-hole did go the other way in the southern hemisphere.

:blink:  The Coriolis Effect is an "APPARENT DEFLECTION"...

"The effect of the Coriolis force is an APPARENT DEFLECTION of the path of an object that moves within a rotating coordinate system. The object does not actually deviate from its path, but it APPEARS TO DO SO because of the motion of the coordinate system."
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/coriolis_effect.html

Therefore, The Coriolis Force is a Pseudo or "Fictitious" Force.

Water (or anything else) doesn't "Deflect", Naturally.  

Add the orbital mass of the moon

What on Earth is that? There's nothing "Orbiting", save for on Balloons or Airplanes.

the model becomes astoundingly complicated to me.

Don't worry, 'models' are demonstrable Pseudo-Science...

Please show "models" in the Scientific Method...? (and not "Ball-Stick" Airplane 'Models' Either)...?

"A model is used for situations when it is known that the hypothesis has a LIMITATION ON IT'S VALIDITY." 
https://www.thoughtco.com/hypothesis-model-theory-and-law-2699066

Allow me to translate: "Pseudo-Science"...There is no such animal as a Scientific Hypothesis with 'limited validity' it's tantamount to a woman being 'A LITTLE' PREGNANT !! 
REAL Scientific Hypotheses are either CONFIRMED or  INVALIDATED, PERIOD...End of Story!! 
Furthermore, Scientific Hypotheses do not exist in PERPETUITY or wait for more DATA !!! 'Data' comes FROM Experiments - (Hypothesis TESTS ).

Complex? :rolleyes:  More like Trainwrecks.

regards

32 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Really interesting this. When I did my various pilot's certificates I had to learn a some of this. Most as fixed or semi-fixed constants, since low flying does not really get very complicated. I often wondered about the equator variance and saw (observed) that on passing the equator (N to S) in a ship, that indeed the water spiral down the plug-hole did go the other way in the southern hemisphere. How this Coriolis Effect affects the oceans I can only wonder at. Add the orbital mass of the moon (tidal effect) and the model becomes astoundingly complicated to me.

I have a lot of respect for what it takes to actually fly a plane.    Many years ago, I worked with a fellow who was working on getting his pilot's license.  He's now a certified instructor and commercial pilot.  I remember helping him out with various questions and stuff.   My Dad was a navigator in the AF back in the late 50s (during the cold war) back in the days of dead reckoning and being able to navigate off of stars at night without GPS.

Yep, the entire ocean/atmosphere system is amazing complex.  And then it's fun to sit outside and look at clouds too. :) 

31 minutes ago, AngelKaring said:

Oh ouch, I stumbled onto your conversation and got an instant migraine, lol, how those types of brains work is beyond me...I only think I'm smart

There are different types of "smarts".   God's made us all quite different.  I'm confident that there are things that you can do where you could run circles around me.  I'm very serious about that.   As an offer here, if there is anything you run across that you'd like me to try to explain in simpler words, or pictures, or whatever, please feel free to ask.

I enjoy this type of stuff.  I was a physics prof many years ago, enjoyed teaching, and picked up a few awards for it.  I had planned on a career in academia but God had other plans for me.

Edited by GandalfTheWise
typos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1