IGNORED

Ponderer, Postponer or POUNCER? T-I-C day.

8 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

Well we know what you are not don't we? LOL :D

No. You dont. I am a mix of two and I  am never one "descript" mentioned.

Your "slight" leads me to think you could be  the passive aggressive type :)

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I was presuming in my arrogance that I knew better than God what that person needed to hear at any given time.  And quite frankly, for a time when I was younger, I was in a mode where I felt like it was my obligation to correct any and every error I saw for people's own good because to not do so meant that I didn't love them enough to correct them.

Zealousness  without maturity and wisdom.

It is something all christians go through.

But not all debate and rebuke come from this.

It is especially difficult to know which is which because people are able to stay most anonymous here. One does not know ones age nor when they were reborn again.

21 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Serious question.  Does anyone actually ever use OyVey, Stop Fighting, or Huh as ratings?  

This is a huge qualm with me.

Someone is having a grand ole time adding in all kinds of things to click on that are used to make fun of or laugh at another. 

I cant say that my flesh hasnt fallen to using some of them as a means of insult or slight. I have. Yeah I admit it.  I do so towards those that have used them to insult me! Now ,Ill wait to be clubbed because I admit my sin in front of the whole forum!

They shouldnt be there at all!  They aid in bad behavior.

Whoever deemed these as a good idea has set things in the christian forum that can be used for evil. It is tempting the brothers and sisters who may be having a bad day. This is WRONG

I have also had many use them towards me as the same passive aggressive means of insult. Especially noted when that person has never said one word to me on this forum kind or otherwise even when I have responded to something they have said.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/24/2017 at 7:13 AM, Justin Adams said:

Hello y'all. It's Tongue-In-Cheek-day today. The first day of this week. God is God. God is Good...all the time!

Ponderer: considers the posts of others carefully; perhaps adds some words of encouragement or gently posits other views.

Postponer: waits until they see which way the wind is blowing, then joins the perceived 'winning' side.

Pouncer: immediately pounces on the poor poster and tells them how far they err. Maybe includes some less than kind inferences.

WHICH ARE YOU?

A Test......

Ponderer........considerate, encourages..A+
Postponer.........straddles the fence.....B-
Pouncer..........scripture policeman.....D-
Preacher.........Won't get off his pulpit......
:(

I would like to think I always consider and encourage. But before I make a final statement, I need to consider this. So I'll wait and see what others are saying, in case I missed something. I'm usually weary of polls by posters like this one, to sway individual thinking, creating heard instinct.  Take heed lest "you" fall!

(: Did I get them all?........:)   :P

Edited by Gary Lee
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

I think you have excellent points here.
I did not know Oy Vey was negative until Abby told me.

Some were fighting for points on one posting (to do with Pagan symbols etc) - so I inserted a one liner about children Sacrificed to MOLOCH in our hospitals' incinerators. (something that really, really, really burns my oil)

Did anyone notice?
- It did not appear so because they were all seemingly latched like terriers on the over-chewed slipper of that topic.

Ya gotta laugh at some of it though. Like kiddos fighting over that last piece of chicken...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Frankly, I considered leaving here after the first week or so.  My first impression of this site was a bunch of people who LOVED THE CAPS LOCK KEY, rejected any form of Biblical interpretation other than literalist, and wanted to insure the purity of the faith by stomping out any questionable doctrines outside a narrow range of beliefs. 

So far, in the short time I've been here, I've had my academic credentials and competence questioned, had my reasoning skills questioned, have been in essence put into the category of being a wolf because of a challenging question I'm willing to ask about Bible interpretation, had it indicated that certain views I hold are heresy, and had it implied that I reject scripture and hold atheistic views, often with CAPS LOCKS and bold face, color, and larger font text to emphasize the point and multiple people agreeing and liking some of those assessments.

Fortunately, this only occurs in a minority of the threads, but, I do have to wonder how many people have been run off by this type of behavior or have been wounded by it.  

It is one thing to say, "a literalist approach to interpretation is better than a historical contextual approach for these reasons..." and then debate on the strengths and weaknesses of different methods.  Such a discussion and dialog would be a benefit to us all for becoming better students of the Bible.  All methods of interpreting scripture make assumptions and have limitations.  The more we are aware of it, the better.  However, it is far different to rudely dismiss any other method of interpretation with an accusatory "ITS CLEAR WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS!  IT IS AS PLAIN AS DAY!  ONLY PEOPLE WHO DISBELIEVE GOD WOULD DARE QUESTION WHAT JESUS SAID!!!!!!!!"  and perhaps add bold face and larger font size to emphasize the point.  And then the extra people hopping in with a "PREACH IT BROTHER!!! AMEN!!!!!" add to the effect.  This simply does not seem to be constructive or spiritually healthy to me.   Frankly, the first time I raised a serious question about Bible interpretation in an advice thread I felt set upon by a pack of wolves and it actually threw me for an emotional loop for a day or so.

One of the biggest problems for me is that I am unable to ascertain the real tone of these posts.  Is it a friendly joking tone of "brother, are you starting to turn into a heretic on me?" with a smile, laugh, and little elbow poke to the arm, meant to ask me to re-evaluate my position?  Or is it truly a scathing warning for me and to warn other people to ignore me and stay away from everything I say?  Or is this a troll laughing at the parody and mockery of Christians? and laughing at the effect and divisions that they are causing?   I honestly am not sure at times, but I'll assume the best about them (that they are sincere believers with some rough edges that hold their views with a strong intensity) and continue to respond as gracefully and insightfully as possible.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 9/29/2017 at 2:27 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

Serious question.  Does anyone actually ever use OyVey, Stop Fighting, or Huh as ratings?  

FWIW, I had to look up Oy Vey.  I'm assuming the general sense of that rating is exasperation or dismay.

I just finished reading the non-fiction Frank Peretti book "The Wounded Spirit" which is about bullying.  I seriously wonder how many people have walked away from various Christian forums (not referring to WCF in particular though probably including it) or churches or other ministries because of various forms of religious and spiritually bullying.  I also wonder how many of us stand by when someone is getting pounced on and more or less let it go because we don't want to become a target ourselves or think that they should just defend themselves.  I've been starting to wonder if I shouldn't be more reactive to "pouncers" to protect the hearts of God's hurting children.

As a serious question I've been meditating on, when does sharing the truth in love, or confronting someone in love, or whatever we do "in love" cross the line into bullying someone who doesn't fit our particular theological definition of a "good" Christian?  When do our "helpful" and "loving" efforts cross the line from concern to intimidation that someone is not a "real" Christian if they disagree with us?  When does it become my responsibility to jump in and say something?

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing and that forums should just be for people who can handle the heat and the format.  But, I think we all lose if some people are chased off who might otherwise have been willing to share their wisdom and experience with us.

Anyway, I mean this post mainly to raise questions rather than answer them.  I'm meditating on this myself right now.

I have pondered over it.:) 

And then I have  used Oy Vey. Not so much to respond negatively at a poster, but more so at the situation. To me it is more a lament than it is a retort.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 9/24/2017 at 5:13 AM, Justin Adams said:

Hello y'all. It's Tongue-In-Cheek-day today. The first day of this week. God is God. God is Good...all the time!

Ponderer: considers the posts of others carefully; perhaps adds some words of encouragement or gently posits other views.

Postponer: waits until they see which way the wind is blowing, then joins the perceived 'winning' side.

Pouncer: immediately pounces on the poor poster and tells them how far they err. Maybe includes some less than kind inferences.

WHICH ARE YOU?

With tongue in cheek , but firm of mindset, I am none of them. Not p, p, nor p, so much as I am "contrarian" by design, for my own benefit, as it is how I learn. I like to see both sides of a coin and also see if it will also, on occasion, stand on edge. 

I once tossed a penny five hundred times to see if there was a slight advantage to selecting heads in a penny coin toss. I was told there was a ratio of advantage for heads. And sure enough there was, but that ratio was also wrong, for the coin did land once out of five hundred tosses - on edge. That  is much like where the house has an advantage on a roulette table- green zero and green double zero give the house the edge. No need to ponder it, just to test it  to be so or not so.  That and not to overlook the edge.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

HA! Mr Neighbor. Way COOL. Do I sense a like-minded maverick in you? I love your approach!
And also if it is fixed, why NOT break it?

If I jump from a 20 story building and land on my head ten times, which jump caused my demise?

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/14/1957

Even tho a coin will rarely land on it's edge, that's usually where the truth is.

That's the problem with so many these days, we have become so polarized that few even recognize middle ground, much less embrace it.

I find that more often than not, people are more interested in defending their assumptions than seeking the truth.

I think the list of response icons needs other options ... like the coin on it's edge. 

And the facepalm  ;)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1