• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

This morning at worship service our senior pastor completed a presentation  that was made over the summer using some thirteen separate Sunday mornings to do so. I was especially struck with this day's conclusion, 15 points on love. It boiled down for me to LOVE ENDURES, and the idea that God's love causes the Christian's love to endure for others  regardless of happenings in life. We are to be ever patient in our love. Examples from the Bible were given in numerous detail that I won't repeat in this opening post. BUT; I do want to say I am concerned about  the question of; what love is there when  a Christian denies a friend, a relative, a neighbor, because they don't hold to proper doctrine.

There is proper church discipline, but when a Christian takes the stance that they will reject a friend or family member because the friend or member  has gone to a new doctrine, is that the love we are to extend? Is it the faith in the sovereignty of God that we know? Or is it merely our own shortcoming being exposed- that the trust in God is not really there, and that  God must be helped by our own  rather arrogant attitude towards a person that is different from ourselves?

I am personally more favorably impressed  by the father of the prodigal child's welcoming of his son than I am by any pushing away of a friend or relative by  stiffnecked pious minded individuals when they perceive a doctrine is violated in their eyes. I sure desire to avoid that snare myself.

I have been really struck by that today. Love is patient. Do I have patience? I pray that I do, I ask of God for more of it in all circumstance.

Edited by Neighbor
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,190
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

I do want to say I am concerned about  the question of; what love is there when  a Christian denies a friend, a relative, a neighbor, because they don't hold to proper doctrine.

I have been really struck by that today. Love is patient. Do I have patience? I pray that I do, I ask of God for more of it in all circumstance.

Hi Neighbor,

Yes that certainly is not love. Often that attitude us because of fear, and pride. And really it shuts out the one having that attitude for -

`...though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have NOT LOVE, I AM NOTHING.` (1 Cor. 13: 2)

Very, very, very, sobering words indeed -  `I am nothing.`

I am very passionate concerning doctrine but am very mindful that unless I am walking daily with the Holy Spirit, then my attitudes can be of self.

Blessings, bro, and a very timely topic. Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 2