• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

Hi guys, 

A random post here :) 

But would be interested to read your answers if you have time to share.

When you have been stopped at a traffic light, and are allowed to move again, are you okay with the car next to taking off quicker than you or not?

Edited by Annette
Hoping to make the question easier ... :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Annette said:

Hi guys, 

A random post here :) But would be interested to read your answers if you have time to share.

I guess I should not assume that everyone who comments drives... but I guess even a non-driver can share their thoughts.

When stopped at a Robot (or traffic light, as I have learned to call it) and waiting for the light to turn green, there is the moment when all the traffic starts up again. If you are right up front, holding up traffic behind you, are you okay when the car next to you pulls away faster than you or not?

I am fine with that.

10 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I am fine with that.

Thanks MissMuffet, :)

i have at times tried to stay at the same speed as the car next to me, but have found most tend to want to go on ahead. So thought I would find out what others think.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

47 minutes ago, Annette said:

Thanks MissMuffet, :)

i have at times tried to stay at the same speed as the car next to me, but have found most tend to want to go on ahead. So thought I would find out what others think.

Everyone goes at a different speed. I am an advocate of going the speed limit. I find that if I try to keep up with the flow of traffic like many say you should I am going over the speed limit. The laws on the roads are ignored.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I dont have any issues with cars next to me going faster or slower. I go at the pace Im comfortable with. As long as I do not impede traffic or go at a rate of speed that is dangerous then its all good. 

I do have an issue with the person behind me who couldnt stand that it took me a second to take my foot off the brake and start moving when the light changed, so he honked at me. Man I was watching the light and immediately put my foot on the gas. I was not slow at all. But he got nasty and floored it around me, weaving in and out of traffic. So rude.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 hour ago, Annette said:

If you are right up front, holding up traffic behind you, are you okay when the car next to you pulls away faster than you or not?

I am really not sure if I understand the question. First, is there some relevancy that I am holding up traffic, and the car next to me? Why would I be holding up traffic anyway - I can think of no reason to do that, not sure I ever have done that, so not sure how it applies. Hard to consider hypotheticals that would not happen in life, and still uncertain what that has to do with the car next to me and my attitude toward it's driver's behavior.

The short and basic answer though is "Yes, I am OK with the car next to me pulling ahead, or staying behind, or keeping pace - it has no effect on what I am doing, so I am ok with it, unless it explodes next to me.

My driving theory is simple. Obey the law. Be courteous. Be safe. Be attentive. Don't be emotional about driving or about how others drive, unless I have a reason to be fearful - then take whatever actions I can, considering the other principles, to change my situation so I no longer need to ear. If I cannot do these things, maybe I should not be driving anyway

Now, I am assuming that perhaps, as I said at the beginning, that maybe I misunderstand the question, perhaps you can restate it in difference terms - or of you think you stated in clearly, explain the reason for the question, I am a bit baffled by it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Everyone goes at a different speed. I am an advocate of going the speed limit. I find that if I try to keep up with the flow of traffic like many say you should I am going over the speed limit. The laws on the roads are ignored.

I am with you on that MissMuffet, I like to keep to the speed limit too :) 

28 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I am really not sure if I understand the question. First, is there some relevancy that I am holding up traffic, and the car next to me? Why would I be holding up traffic anyway - I can think of no reason to do that, not sure I ever have done that, so not sure how it applies. Hard to consider hypotheticals that would not happen in life, and still uncertain what that has to do with the car next to me and my attitude toward it's driver's behavior.

The short and basic answer though is "Yes, I am OK with the car next to me pulling ahead, or staying behind, or keeping pace - it has no effect on what I am doing, so I am ok with it, unless it explodes next to me.

My driving theory is simple. Obey the law. Be courteous. Be safe. Be attentive. Don't be emotional about driving or about how others drive, unless I have a reason to be fearful - then take whatever actions I can, considering the other principles, to change my situation so I no longer need to ear. If I cannot do these things, maybe I should not be driving anyway

Now, I am assuming that perhaps, as I said at the beginning, that maybe I misunderstand the question, perhaps you can restate it in difference terms - or of you think you stated in clearly, explain the reason for the question, I am a bit baffled by it.

Hey Omegaman,

Thank you for your answer. I did try and reword my question. I hope that it helps.

In my driving experience, I have found that often times, when stopped at a traffic light that when we start again, that the driver next to me likes to pull off faster than me. It may just be something random that I noticed and I was wondering others noticed the same thing, or felt something about it.

I like to take note of other drivers around me and even more so when there is a police car behind people. :) 

I appreciate you taking the time to give an answer and help me give thought to my question. I hope it is easier to read now.

:) 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

I don't care one way or the other.  So long as they stay in their lane, I'm okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, Annette said:

Hi guys, 

A random post here :) 

But would be interested to read your answers if you have time to share.

When you have been stopped at a traffic light, and are allowed to move again, are you okay with the car next to taking off quicker than you or not?

Don't know, it never happens.

• Thumbs Up 1