• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

13 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I don't care one way or the other.  So long as they stay in their lane, I'm okay.

So true MorningGlory, we definitley want them to stay in their own lane :)

12 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Don't know, it never happens.

Hi Neighbor, 

:) I did realize it was a random question, and it is interesting to see if others have noticed it or not :) 

12 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Seriously, it never happens. I do not deliberately speed, but I hit the on button on the floor and go to nine over speed limit and hold it there. Police here give nine over and take on ten over. And, I almost never go 17 over, for that gets into  aggressive being written on the ticket, an insurance no no!  Well unless I am on I-75 then it is all bets off. We all go 85 minimum. Go less than 85 n everyone will whip around and salute. 

I do not like having to be a in a pack around here, too many gray heads making lefts from the right shoulder and rights from the left turn lane.  Best to be alone  between packs, or at least at a different pace than them. They have mostly out of State license plates and  are looking for the two dollar breakfast and the five dollar early bird dinner. It would not occur to them to go  past their destination and make a U turn.

I feel much safer driving at a speed that everyone else is not also going. Do anything to avoid being bashed by a Cell phone text-er.

I always signal, and never cut anyone off. I yield to others. But mostly there is just no one beside me. They are in the mirror when I reach my own cap on speed.

I have seen so many people using their phones while they are driving! 

11 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Police will usually give a 5 miles over the speed limit leeway. I would not trust it over that. There are many on our roads who are using cell phones and texting. That is against the law where I live.

I have seen so many people on their phones and texting too, and not just young people. 

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

Once at traffic school I was told by the policeman teaching the class that theoretically you can be given a ticket for going the speed limit if it meant you were not moving with the flow of traffic. You would be creating an unsafe driving condition. 

So you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My husband has told me many times that he likes to go with the flow of the traffic. I have heard others say that too.

8 hours ago, TheAimes87 said:

I'm usually the first to pull away from the stop lights but if the other car ever does pull away first, doesn't matter to me. :) 

Thank you Aimes, :) It has been interesting to hear what others here have shared. I will keep an eye out to see what other drivers are doing while I am out and about. 

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Yes it sure can, and does often, too often.  It is a matter for sorrow and for much prayer is it not?

Decades ago I used to have to be called to go to a few of those terrible crash scenes, long before cell phones were even a possibility.  I have been fortunate though  in several accidents, one a single  occupied vehicle wreck being my own fault, to have all survive them to date. Hmm long ago back  phones were analog, had dials and went click click click as the number desired was turning on the dial, none were mobile units, yet we had crashes.

The crash that was my own fault came as I was responding quickly to go to a death scene on a Thanksgiving Day in the rain. Learned death can wait some.

I hit a parked commercial plumbers multi ton truck when my windshield fogged  up, and I became one with my steering wheel. The front end of my old Pontiac came to know the firewall too. Happened fast though had only gone but five houses down the road, just passed my young girl friend's house. ( She still married me.) 

People have been doing some pretty wild  and rather foolish things while behind the wheel of  vehicles for about as long as there have been roads and vehicles. Rather amazing we don't all die like bugs on a windshield. Hard to be angry - have to be sympathetic, and hopefully defensively smart as we pray one for another on the roads.

My new bride just automatically says aloud "somebody is having a bad day", when the emergency sirens start up, or the red lights begin to flash on an emergency vehicle or police car, and she prays prays for all concerned.

So anger? Perhaps best to get past anger and be in prayer, maybe skip anger altogether and go straight to prayer. Just a long thought on the subject. I understand anger, but find there are more productive things in my own life. So I try my best to  quickly overcome anger,  and work to avoid it  like a safe driver through life if possible.

Thanks for sharing Neighbor :) Sorry to read about your accident. Glad you made it okay :) .... and ended up with a good wife. Blessings 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 minutes ago, Annette said:

I have seen so many people on their phones and texting too, and not just young people. 

EH? I'M ON THE ROAD USING MY CAR'S WIFI, I CAN'T QUITE READ YOUR MESSAGE, COULD YOU JUST SPEAK UP SOME,  oh this isn't the phone. Sorry. The phone's ringing under the seat somewhere, I  dropped it I guess, Think I can reach it  aah maybe if I put the Ipad down I can reach it. Well at the next light then. Oh it just went to  in dash  screen display. Hello, hello? Yep I can hear you, but let me hit the volume up some more. THERE GO AHEAD,- YOU THERE?

16 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

EH? I'M ON THE ROAD USING MY CAR'S WIFI, I CAN'T QUITE READ YOUR MESSAGE, COULD YOU JUST SPEAK UP SOME,  oh this isn't the phone. Sorry. The phone's ringing under the seat somewhere, I  dropped it I guess, Think I can reach it  aah maybe if I put the Ipad down I can reach it. Well at the next light then. Oh it just went to  in dash  screen display. Hello, hello? Yep I can hear you, but let me hit the volume up some more. THERE GO AHEAD,- YOU THERE?

I am trying to speak up.... hope you can hear :) 

loud speaker.jpg

• Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

15 minutes ago, Annette said:

Thanks for sharing Neighbor :) Sorry to read about your accident. Glad you made it okay :) .... and ended up with a good wife. Blessings 

Oh that accident was scars ago,  long long scars ago. Half a century has gone by since that one. The only one my own fault. I've been punched in over seven times that I can remember. Craziest one was when I  was moving along speeding a little on the fast lane when a pickup truck  going even faster hit me and crushed the rear of my car pushing me out of my lane  up onto the center raised island. I just went airborne, what an incredible noise crushing metal makes! The other driver a young rather timid young mom said she had dropped baby's pacifier reached down for it evidently pushed down on the gas petal and swerved left as she did. She hadn't even been in my lane before she yanked on the steering wheel trying to reach th efloor of the truck as she drove.

That particular car went airborne in wrecks twice. The first time on the way home from the new car dealership. I had seven miles on it. I was totally stopped at a light couldn't move and saw it coming  in my mirror they never even slowed down, Just hit me  taking out  the front and the back of the car as it drove me into the one in front of me an dlifted my car into the air.

Weird stuff does happen. But God has been most kind through it all! There was one other that I guess was my fault if stupidity counts same as fault.

I was hustling along in a severe rain with tornadoes in the area when one caught me, spun me around multiple times then slid me down the center grass island toward some horrified driver in the oncoming lane. That  guy's eyes were big as saucers. I had no control at all, we were in a bit of a tornado, but I managed to flip my own work van on it's side still in the center island grass before it could reach that other vehicle . And there I was, looking out the side window with the giant side mirror facing me wondering why I  was laying  there with grass pressed against my driver's side window and the engine cowling resting on my right side with hot engine oil dripping on me. I felt like a parakeet in a cage with a mirror.

Anyway, I managed  to open the hatch, which had just minutes before been  my right side door, and lifted up out of the van. A Toyota truck  four wheel drive pulled up with a chain and hook. We pulled the van upright, the engine fired up, I waved, and we were all off again. Before even the cops could arrive.  Next day I kicked the  busted truck panel ribs back into place somewhat and drove that van for another year after. Thing ran on propane was always hard to  get fuel for it back then.

God is so awesome He has brought me through more follies of my own making.

• Thumbs Up 1