Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

We are on the eve of 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Martin Luther is credited for starting this "inferno" that got Solae Scriptura (Scripture alone) and Ad Fontes (Back to sources, the Scriptures) a major tenant of most Reformed Churches (From Lutheran to Charismatic). Here we will discuss the Reformation in Germany (Martin Luther and Malchathon), Geneva (John Calvin), Scotland (John Knox), Switzerland (Zwingli), England (Henry VIII, Tyndale), and the forerunners of John Hus (Hussites), Peter Waldo, John Wycliffe, Jerome of Prague, and beyond. 

Welcome to Reformation! 

78ccf1028824150b6eda55186a636ff4.jpg

13cruci.jpg

6a0105362f4359970b0120a7689e09970b.jpg

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

In 22 Days the 500th Anniversary of Protestant Reformation will happen! 

Here is some information on Luther and His beliefs: 

"Luther was not a systematic theologian, trading in logical definitions or philosophical consistency. The systematizers  who followed his wake  picked out two key principles in his thought, Sole Fide and Sola Scripture: "Faith alone" and "Scripture alone." But this risks missing the point. Luther's theology was not a doctrine; it was a love affair. Consuming love for God has been part of Christian experience since the beginning, put Luther's passion had a reckless extravagance that set it apart, and which down Protestantism History. He pursued His love for God with blithe disregard for the bounds set by church and tradition. It was intense, desolating, intoxicating passion, sparked by his life-upending glimpse of God's incomprehensible , terrible, beautiful, and beautiful love for him. Like any lover, he found it incredible that his beloved should love him, unworthy as he was. And yet he discovered over the long years of prayer and study, that God loved him wildly, irresponsibly, and beyond all reason. God, in Christ, had laid down his life for him. This was not as the medieval's subtle theology had taught, a transaction, or a process by which believers to do whatever was in their power to pursue holiness. It was a sheer gift, all that mattered was accepting it. This talk of grace and free forgiveness was dangerous. If grace is free, and all we need do is believe, surely that would lead to moral anarchy? The fact that free forgiveness can look like a license to sin has plagued Protestantism for centuries. But for Luther, to even ask this question was blockheaded. What kind of lover needs rules about how to love? What kind of lover has to be bribed or threatened into loving? God loves us unreservedly. If we recognize that love, we love him unreservedly in return. 

Luther's breakthrough a dazzling, corrosive, simplicity to it. The power of those two principles, "faith alone," and "Scripture alone," lay in the word "alone." There is nothing and no one else other than God incarnate in Jesus Christ worth attending to. Being a Christian means throwing yourself abjectly, unreservedly, on Christ's mercy. Living the Christian life is to live Christ's Life-that is, abandoning all security and worldly ambitions to follow Him "through penalties, deaths, and hell." It is only then that we may find peace. That ravishing paradox is at heart of Protestantism." (The Protestants, Alec Ryrie, pages 20-21). 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

This is the will of my Father who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:40 (New Heart English Bible)

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 10/9/2017 at 9:47 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

"Luther was not a systematic theologian, trading in logical definitions or philosophical consistency. The systematizers  who followed his wake  picked out two key principles in his thought, Sole Fide and Sola Scripture: "Faith alone" and "Scripture alone." But this risks missing the point. Luther's theology was not a doctrine; it was a love affair. Consuming love for God has been part of Christian experience since the beginning, put Luther's passion had a reckless extravagance that set it apart, and which down Protestantism History. He pursued His love for God with blithe disregard for the bounds set by church and tradition. It was intense, desolating, intoxicating passion, sparked by his life-upending glimpse of God's incomprehensible , terrible, beautiful, and beautiful love for him. Like any lover, he found it incredible that his beloved should love him, unworthy as he was. And yet he discovered over the long years of prayer and study, that God loved him wildly, irresponsibly, and beyond all reason. God, in Christ, had laid down his life for him. This was not as the medieval's subtle theology had taught, a transaction, or a process by which believers to do whatever was in their power to pursue holiness. It was a sheer gift, all that mattered was accepting it. This talk of grace and free forgiveness was dangerous. If grace is free, and all we need do is believe, surely that would lead to moral anarchy? The fact that free forgiveness can look like a license to sin has plagued Protestantism for centuries. But for Luther, to even ask this question was blockheaded. What kind of lover needs rules about how to love? What kind of lover has to be bribed or threatened into loving? God loves us unreservedly. If we recognize that love, we love him unreservedly in return. 

Luther's breakthrough a dazzling, corrosive, simplicity to it. The power of those two principles, "faith alone," and "Scripture alone," lay in the word "alone." There is nothing and no one else other than God incarnate in Jesus Christ worth attending to. Being a Christian means throwing yourself abjectly, unreservedly, on Christ's mercy. Living the Christian life is to live Christ's Life-that is, abandoning all security and worldly ambitions to follow Him "through penalties, deaths, and hell." It is only then that we may find peace. That ravishing paradox is at heart of Protestantism." (The Protestants, Alec Ryrie, pages 20-21). 

Beautifully written, thank you!   I also loved the mosaic artwork in the first post!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 weeks later...

On 6/22/2018 at 3:27 AM, Debp said:

Beautifully written, thank you!   I also loved the mosaic artwork in the first post!

I am glad you liked it. I actually have visited Castle Church and the door Luther posted the 95 Thesis on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

It was beautifully written Fidei, but we now need something almost like another reformation. Most people don't realize that Jesus insisted that God be obeyed. Every time I read the epistles I notice again and again that every writer is telling the people to obey God. I think the Christian world is at a critical juncture. I don't pretend to know what God will do with people who say they believe in Him but then live any way they please, but I don't think it's going to be good.

I think most people rely on what they are taught by teachers, pastors, preachers and their priests. I think, I hope, more and more preachers are finally telling the people they have to obey God. Paul used phrases like "work out your salvation with fear and trembling" so he must have believed it's essential that we obey God. Paul didn't say it would be easy and it's not. I'm trembling just by quoting Paul. But I believe we all need to hear this.    

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/10/2017 at 12:47 AM, Fidei Defensor said:

Just read this pearl, thanks for sharing it!

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

I don’t agree with everything Luther taught, but his commentaries on Romans and Galations are truly inspired works.Luther said “ sin boldly” .Some never understand what he meant by that provocative statement.It says a lot about one’s spiritual discernment, I think.If your panties do not get twisted in a knot when seeing Luther’s insightful “ advice “, you are well on your way.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06

but we now need something almost like another reformation.

Yeah its called the NAR New Age Refomation urm.... no I mean New Apostolic Reformation which is coming through the catholic aka evangelical churches

the pendulum is on the swing i reckon....

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  608
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

- The Protestants,  Re-Form-Mation of Catholic church Doctrine.

When the foundation is wrong what good is reforming on a wrong foundation?

You still have the same foundation.

Scripture alone? Does God Not Speak? Does His Spirit Of Truth Not Lead Into All Truth (whole truth)?

Is everything written in the bible the inspirited Infallible Inerrant Word Of God?  

Was Jesus born on Dec.25?

Is Jesus The Passover lamb?

If Protestants are not Catholics why do they celebrate said holy days of dead Catholic Saints who had no part with them?

If Protestants were actual Reformers there'd be no more Catholic church.

Protestants are not Reformers they have reformed nothing. 

Protestants are Pretenders tied up with the apron strings of their Mother Church.

• Oy Vey! 1