Sign in to follow this  
Fidei Defensor

Byzantine Christian Art

6 hours ago, Debp said:

Yes, I could also understand the spiritual sense as well....but the spirit realm and time travel, well that's just too strange!

Some years ago I went to a Greek festival.   It was held by St. Sophia Church here in L.A.   We went inside to sit and see the church....there was so much gold leaf on absolutely everything that it about knocked my eyes out!   I thought that architecture would take away from the worship of God...my thoughts anyhow.   It was so overwhelming.

Lol I know you sit there and think, “are we here to worship God or hold?” Lol the icons and incense and icnonstasis do overpower the senses. I have come to appreciate some aspects of Eastern Orthodox iconography, particularly Rublev’s The Holy Trinity which depicts Genesis 18:1-11). 

• Brilliant! 1

On 9/25/2017 at 9:24 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

The Byzantines were Eastern Romans, their capital of Byzantium was Constantinople (Instanbul) which is in Modern Day Turkey. Their style of art was gold leaf, gold columns, and golden icons. 

Christ Pantokrator (Pantocrator) made of mosaic tiles, Hagia Sophia (Church of Holy Wisdom) in Istanbul, Turkey. 

byzHagiaSophiamosaic.jpg

Characteristics+of+Byzantine+Painting.jpg

Amazing. Just so beautiful.

Sign in to follow this