• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

When Did The Church Begin? 

Jesus-calls-disciples.jpg

When does Church History begin? The traditional answer according to both The Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic scholars is Pentecost (Acts 2) when the Holy Spirit fell on the Apostles, and the Church grew by three thousand and then five thousand (Acts 4:1-4). However, I contend with the notion of the Church beginning at Pentecost. I argue that Church began with Jesus Christ and His Disciples. Here is my case for the beginning of church from my blog, "It has become common belief to most theologians, especially those in Eastern Orthodox and Catholic circles, that the Church began at Pentecost, "The Traditional view of the origin of the Christian Church is that it began at Pentecost." (Tried By Fire, Chapter One: Missionary Activity and Persecution of the Disciples, William J. Bennett). Such a concept of the Church beginning at Pentecost is bizarre to me because Jesus Christ Himself used the term Church long before Pentecost, "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." (Matthew 16:18). Many Catholic scholars and ecclesia believe that Peter or Cephas which means rock in Aramaic and is Simon (Jesus' Disciple) is whom Jesus is referring to, but in actuality Jesus is saying the Church will be built on this revelation, "But what about you?” Jesus asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”  Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:15-18). The rock is that Jesus is the Messiah and Son of God, not Peter. Hence why Jesus says, "This was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but the Father, and on this rock I will build my church." We see in other parts of Scripture the same emphasis. The disciple Nathaniel cries out when Jesus tells him that He saw him under fig tree, "Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel." (John 1:49). Even more interestingly, Jesus refers to Himself directly by the title Messiah, "I am not saying these things to all of you; I know the ones I have chosen. But this fulfills the Scripture that says, ‘The one who eats my food has turned against me.’ I tell you this beforehand, so that when it happens you will believe that I am the Messiah.I tell you the truth, anyone who welcomes my messenger is welcoming me, and anyone who welcomes me is welcoming the Father who sent me.” (John 13:18-20). It is clear the rock is that Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, who even refers to Himself as the Rock, "Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. 49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great," (Luke 6:47-49, one of the things Jesus says is believe in Him and you will be saved John 3:16 and John 6:40) and so does the apostles, "For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says, 'The stone that you builders rejected has now become the cornerstone.' 12Salvation exists in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:13), "For this is contained in Scripture: "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER stone, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone," (1 Peter2:6-7). Even here Peter attests he is not the rock or stone of salvation the Church is built on, but it is Jesus Christ Himself that is the rock and foundation of the Church! 

When Jesus said, "Upon this rock I will build my Church," (Matthew 16:18) He had not yet died on cross or risen from dead (John 19, 20 chapters). Pentecost is after the Ascension of Jesus (Acts 1:1-10). The word Church comes from the Greek word ἐκκλησία, ας ekklésia, which is where we get the word ecclesia, and it is defined according to Strong's, "an assembly, congregation, church; the Church, the whole body of Christian believers." The latter definition, "The whole body of Christian believers," being the most accurate translation of the word. Here is how we arrived at word Church, "The English word "church" comes from the Greek word kyriakos, "belonging to the Lord" (kyrios). 1577 /ekklēsía ("church") is the root of the terms "ecclesiology" and "ecclesiastical." Jesus uses these word ecclesia long before Pentecost, and His Disciples, The Twelve which included Peter, James, John, and the others was the Church. It only takes two or more to be church (kyrios/ecclesia), "For where two or three gather together in My name, there am I with them," (Matthew 18:20), note that verse is prior to Jesus' death, resurrection, and ascension. Jesus dwells in all people who believe and trust in Him for salvation (Colossians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 3:16, John 14). The Church or Ecclesia is all Christians who believe in Jesus Christ as God, Lord, and Savior (John 6:40, John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10), and through this believe and confession they now belong to Lord Jesus (Kyrios). 

The Church did not begin at Pentecost, and it is not a building, man made shelter, or stone temple. The Kyrios and Ecclesia of God is every breathing Christian (Colossians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 3:16, Hebrews 4:4). These scholars who claim Pentecost as the beginning of Church ignore the words of Jesus Christ Himself who is the first to use the term prior to Pentecost. The Church began with Christ, and His Disciples, and continues through every believing Christian. The Ecclesia of God begins with God Incarnate, Jesus Christ and His First Disciples, not Pentecost and its fruits of 3,000 and 5,000 saved souls (Acts 2:41, Acts 4:4). How could anyone think the Apostles, the Disciples aren't the first members of Christ's Church?! I mean they taught, evangelized (added to), and lead the Church! (Acts 6:2-4). This idea according to traditions of men (Mark 7:7) that the Church began with Pentecost is ridiculous! Most sound theologians would claim the Church at least began with Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ (John 19, John 20), but it actually began three years before Christ's death and raising back to life, when He hand picked his disciples (John 1:35-51). The idea Pentecost is when the Church began is a strange tradition that can be found in Eastern Orthodoxy (Orthodox Church: Simple Guides, Chapters 6: Church Structure, pgs 108-114 Katherine Stark), but not Scripture (the Accounts of the Apostles and Jesus Christ Himself). 

The Church began when Jesus called His first Disciples. The Kyrios grows whenever a person confesses Jesus as Lord and believes in their heart He died for their sins and rose from dead. Do not be mislead, Pentecost was merely a growth Christ's Church, not the beginning. Do not let men with their traditions deceive you. Always fact check with the Scriptures (The Holy Bible). It is reliable, inerrant, and God breathed (1 Timothy 3:16). I am astounded how strange traditions that violate the very words of Christ become common place in the Church. Do not believe what every seminary, Church history book, teacher, preacher, and scholar tells you; always check it with the Scriptures. For you and all who believe in Jesus are Kyrios and Ecclesia of God. Amen." (When The Church Truly Began, A Knight's Blog, June 22nd, 2017). 
-----------------------------------------------

I welcome anyone who wishes to debate my reasoning, please put forward your case and argument. I want this club to be where we can express our ideas about Church history, as well as the facts. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Loved it! 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:mgdetective:

The

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

Beginning

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

As I See It

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

:emot-heartbeat:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 years later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for sharing this. Decades ago I attended a Baptist church that taught this. Matt 16:18 is ignored by many today. That church also taught that the later part of 'I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it' was demonstrated by church history that traced the true church from Christ that never was part of the Catholic church, but was persecuted by them and was called by many names like Anabaptists, Donatists, Montanists, Waldenses and others. 

For more info research 'Baptists are not Protestants '. See the book 'The Trail of Blood'. It was once .99 cents on kindle but now is 'unavailable for purchase' on kindle. It is available in paperback for only $5.95.