Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

The Medieval Church and Its History covers 1300yrs of Church History! That is quite a chunk, and since it is such vast period of Church History I dedicate an entire topic/thread to it. Here you may discuss and share anything pertaining to Medieval Church History. Share books, images, and more. 

48263 (4).jpg

0c88cef0ff03e91e6a0c0cb17443079e.jpg

18870-004-AB634613.jpg

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Middle Ages Christian faith had major external appearances. In fact, outward acts of piety were a sign of devotion. This would take shape in giving alms to poor, penances such as walking on your knees on gobble stones leading to a church, crusades where a milites Christi (knight of Christ) fough infidels and protects pelegrins (pilgrims) from Saracens (Muslims). 

For the Clergy, the instruments, mantels, mitre, and other paraphanalia of the faith were made of gold and elaborately woven: 

A Crosier (scepter, staff and shepherd like cane) 

6163ebafc3527eaafc9455d0a1767456.jpg

The Globus Crusiger (orb of rule, believed to be in Christ's hand, monarch hold it at cornation to represent that they rule in Christ's stead, "divine right of kings.")

505a5218a4de7de28bea787bc26a84af.jpg

A Crown (possibly Hungarian or Transalvanian) 

abe75cba5f3aaf09fe074b4496f6732f.jpg

An altar piece of St. George slaying the Dragon 

058cabf3c39b5cf4fbb73778d1085c6e.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The Crusader dedicates His sword in church, and his wife prays by His side

the-dedication-edmund-blair.jpg

Painting by Edmund Leighton 

In the Middle Ages, the Crusader would take his sword into the church to be blessed by a priest. This was a custom from 1101-1291 A.D. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

Cool Stuff~!

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalms 144:1

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

On 10/11/2017 at 11:12 PM, FresnoJoe said:

:emot-heartbeat:

Cool Stuff~!

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalms 144:1

Indeed, “He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I recently listened to some lectures given by a Yale professor on some of this. Actually the course was on the fall of the Roman Empire but I think it's in the yrs you indicated. From what the prof said it sounds like God was more active back then than He is today. Or maybe it's just nonsense.

Or is it that God doesn't seem so active here in the West because we have almost totally neglected God? We have done some very scary and dangerous things concerning God. I also realized that up until about 500 yrs ago God was the main thing on everyone's minds. Actually even 50 yrs ago my father's family never had a holiday dinner without the subjects of God and/or the church coming up. I think that was better. 

When I was young I didn't find history very interesting but now I regret that. I'm too old to go back to school and I can't read well anymore so I have to look for educational videos I can watch.

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/25/2017 at 3:47 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

The Medieval Church and Its History covers 1300yrs of Church History! That is quite a chunk, and since it is such vast period of Church History I dedicate an entire topic/thread to it. Here you may discuss and share anything pertaining to Medieval Church History. Share books, images, and more. 

I went through a long series of lectures via Youtube by Ryan Reeves, Assistant Professor of Historical Theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. He covers more than the Middle Ages, but spends a lot of time on them.

I was surprised at some of it; how the popes and priests jockeyed their way into position and the liberties they took. I knew they weren't perfect, but my goodness, it was hard to realize what a downfall public Christianity took, especially after Constatine. The Roman Catholic Church is at the center of Medieval Church History and ruled by fear.

Edited by Peavey

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 4/2/2019 at 2:19 PM, Peavey said:

I went through a long series of lectures via Youtube by Ryan Reeves, Assistant Professor of Historical Theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. He covers more than the Middle Ages, but spends a lot of time on them.

I was surprised at some of it; how the popes and priests jockeyed their way into position and the liberties they took. I knew they weren't perfect, but my goodness, it was hard to realize what a downfall public Christianity took, especially after Constatine. The Roman Catholic Church is at the center of Medieval Church History and ruled by fear.

ha ha.. I WISH the Church were ruled by fear, assuming you speak of fear of God? Fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom, says Proverbs 1 (I believe it is, or is Psalms 1? I think it is Proverbs 1 )

The Catholic Church USED TO teach that but today it is teaching "mercy" which I interpret to mean: God forgives, so you don't really have to give up your sins. No, I am NOT saying all priests teach that but a lot of them seem to be preaching that, or something very much like it.

I like the Catholic Church before Vatican II. I wish I knew more about Vatican 2 but what I do know is that I don't like the "liberal" changes that were made. A lot of reverence has been done away with. The priest used to face the altar. Now he faces the people. So it is the priest looking @ the people, the people looking at him.. it is all about people, it seems and not about Jesus Christ. And there are other changes I hate also... And yet Jesus promised that "the gates of Hell will not prevail against" his Church.. (just seems like it sometimes) 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

25 minutes ago, cantankerous5 said:

I like the Catholic Church before Vatican II. I wish I knew more about Vatican 2 but what I do know is that I don't like the "liberal" changes that were made. A lot of reverence has been done away with. The priest used to face the altar. Now he faces the people. So it is the priest looking @ the people, the people looking at him.. it is all about people, it seems and not about Jesus Christ.  

I could not disagree more. I grew up in the RCC before Vatican II. Entered seminary but left after a year. The Church desperately needed to be liberalized. Subsequent popes betrayed John XXIII and threw the church back into the 19th century. This is part of the reason that I am no longer Catholic. When the priest conducted the mass with his back to the people he was essentially cutting the people off from participation in the liturgy. Mass became a little play conducted by priest and servers leaving the people out completely. A far cry from the Last Supper.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, Takoda said:

I could not disagree more. I grew up in the RCC before Vatican II. Entered seminary but left after a year. The Church desperately needed to be liberalized. Subsequent popes betrayed John XXIII and threw the church back into the 19th century. This is part of the reason that I am no longer Catholic. When the priest conducted the mass with his back to the people he was essentially cutting the people off from participation in the liturgy. Mass became a little play conducted by priest and servers leaving the people out completely. A far cry from the Last Supper.

And now it has the most liberal pope ever .      AND my friend ,  HE IS NOT THE SOLUTION for that church or any church or the world .

I guess yall could vote me in as pope .    at least it would make major headlines .

Try and visualize that .    On the first day in news reporters would be filming and saying , What on earth is going on , as they heard statues

being crashed to the floor and all the metals of gold and silver being melted and sold to give money to the poor .

And they would hear , OH NO YA DONT ,  no bowing down to that ,  YOU PRAY TO GOD ONLY .   OH no you don't ,   you don't kiss korans and budda statues for world peace

we burn those as did the early church did its sorcery .

Hey ,  I did not vote .   But it trump can win on the claim he had no political experience ,  WHY cant ol frienduff be elected pope , even though I am for sure and for certain

no catholic .     Wanna help me make a cap .     We could run on CROP .     CLEAN ROME OUT PLEASE .     Who wants to help run this campaign.

Don't everyone volunteer at once .     But man Rome as well as many protestant daughters , NEED the OLD CROP dusting and frienduff is prepared to give it .

Who wants to help .