• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Who me said:

Don't forget the Waldnesinse, Hus and witcliffe.

And Melanchthon and Zwingli and even Calvin had a part in it. The point is that God raised up men who freed His people from the bondage of the Roman Catholic Church. 

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

To be pedantic they freed people from every superstition.

The best peace of modern writing that shows this is by an atheist see:-

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/as-an-atheist-i-truly-believe-africa-needs-god-3xj9bm80h8m

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 18 June 2019 at 2:28 AM, Peavey said:

The RC had to have done something good over time, I suppose. Not allowing the Bible (the Truth) into the hands of the people  was probably the worst of it but by no means all of it. God sent the likes of Luther to break that bondage.

The church got rich on the backs of those they kept ignorant and fearful.

I'll give you three things the RC church did that you should be grateful for.

1. They kept a flickering flame of the gospel alive. Dim and uncertain but it was alive.

2. They kept education alive and with education information.

3. They invested in science.

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

On 10/5/2018 at 1:03 PM, JTC said:

I recently listened to some lectures given by a Yale professor on some of this. Actually the course was on the fall of the Roman Empire but I think it's in the yrs you indicated. From what the prof said it sounds like God was more active back then than He is today. Or maybe it's just nonsense.

Or is it that God doesn't seem so active here in the West because we have almost totally neglected God? We have done some very scary and dangerous things concerning God. I also realized that up until about 500 yrs ago God was the main thing on everyone's minds. Actually even 50 yrs ago my father's family never had a holiday dinner without the subjects of God and/or the church coming up. I think that was better. 

When I was young I didn't find history very interesting but now I regret that. I'm too old to go back to school and I can't read well anymore so I have to look for educational videos I can watch.

The Medieval Church had much error, particularly on soteriology (salvation, the Medieval Church ignored the Truth in Romans 10:9-20, John 6:40, John 3:16, John 14:6, Philippians 3:9, and Acts 15:4-11 [Jerusalem Council] which clearly state salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus alone). However, the Medieval Church’s zeal to protect their neighbors (The First Crusade was started to answer attacks from Turks on Byzantine & Greek Christians) and their building campaigns of cathedrals is something to admire. Especially, in the wake of Syrian Christians being genocided by the Turks, one wishes Christian nations would send armies in to rescue the beleaguered brothers and sisters. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• George unpinned this topic