• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

Crosses: 

cross-image-for-lead-in.jpg

The Christian Cross is one of oldest symbols of Christ and Christianity. From 2nd and 3rd centuries, crosses became a common symbol of faith next to Anchor, and Ichythus (fish). Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was crucified on a cross (John 19), and after Constantine's battle at Milvan Bridge and seeing the vision of the cross and words, "in hoc sig natius: in this sign you shall conquer" the cross became a primary symbol of our faith. However, had Constantine not become Christian, the cross would have still become the symbol of our faith because of what The Apostle Paul made said about the cross, "As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world's interest in me has also died," (Galatians 6:14), "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God," (1 Corinthians 1:18), "He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross," (Colossians 2:14), "And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross, In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross," (Colossians 2:15), "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power," (1 Corinthians 1:17), "For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross," (Colossians 1:19-20), "and reconciling both of them to God in one body through the cross, by which He extinguished their hostility," (Ephesians 2:16), "And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross," (Philippians 2:8), "We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne," (Hebrews 12:2), ""For I decided to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified," (1 Corinthians 2:2), and the Apostle Peter said, ""He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed," (1 Peter 2:24), "Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners to bring you safely home to God. He suffered physical death, but he was raised to life in the Spirit," (1 Peter 3:18), and Jesus Christ himself said, "Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me," (Luke 9:23), "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me," (Matthew 16:24), "And whoever does not carry his cross and follow Me cannot be My disciple," (Luke 14:27), and "and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me." (Matthew 10:18). 

Crosses are symbol of the faith, and they are an art form. Different types of crosses were used in different part of Church history. The Jerusalem Cross (third cross at the top, gold, with four smaller crosses) was used in the Crusades (1095-1291 A.D.), The Budded Cross/Apostle's Cross (333 A.D. to 1204 A.D.), and beyond. The Crucifix, Christ hanging on cross was invented in 12th century by St. Bernard of Clairvaux.  

paid-in-full_4540_1280x8002.jpg

Edited by Fidei Defensor