sermonindex

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage. - Philippians 2:6

When we are looking to progress in our understanding of the Lord we must look to the heart and what dwells within. Of all the least talked about sins in our day, Envy is near the top of the list. Perhaps one of the greatest roots of envy is the jealously that God is God and we are not. Such evil desires that desires more then what is given or deserved becomes a distortion of love and therefore is the opposite of love. Thomas Aquinas says of Envy: "Envy according to the aspect of its object is contrary to charity, whence the soul derives its spiritual life. Charity rejoices in our neighbor's good, while envy grieves over it." 

Envy is as old as Adam and Eve. Their firstborn son Cain envied Abel and killed him over extreme jealously. Cain envied Abel because God favored Abel's sacrifice over Cain's. Envy defiles a person and makes them hideous always seeking to put down others that they may be exalted. Of course this is not how it looks on the outside, it can even appear holy but inwardly the desires are evil. Saul envied David (1 Samuel 18:5-9). Isaac, envied the Philistines (Genesis 26:12-16). 

Envy cannot dwell with true godliness but with only that which is false, unspiritual and demonic (James 3:13-16). John R. Stott says, "Envy! Envy is the reverse side of a coin called vanity. Nobody is ever envious of others who is not first proud of himself."

We can envy one's wealth, position, fame, title, honour, health, possessions and many other things. Only Christ who was the one that walked in true humility and did not even count his status as the Son of God important, but humbled himself to death and did not envy but died and emptied himself. 

In God's kingdom when we empty ourselves we are filled, when we die we live, when we humble ourselves we are exalted. When we envy we destroy ourselves. The holy Apostle Peter tells us to "put away envy" (1 Peter 2:1). Strike it away from yourself, be violent with such evil desires that arise in you. 

Have a remedy also for this poison of the heart. When someone is exalted rejoice! When you are lowered rejoice. Never desire anothers exaltation but rejoice that they have been blessed of God and praise God for such a thing. Be content with the gifts God has given you, the Heavenly Father is wise and all-knowing in what He has entrusted you with. 

Sadly when we envy we follow the error also of satan who envied the very throne of God but was cast down in judgment. Let our dying to envy show the evil one and all demons that we are of those who obey Jesus and are washed in the blood of the Lamb. Amen.

facebook.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Good morning,

Interesting presentation. Thanks!

I am going to be my picky self, mostly to help me become further educated in the word. You ( and many others) state Cain killed out of envy. That Able's death came as a result of that man's wanting what Able had. But what did Able have? He simply offered a proper sacrifice to God that God accepted. Proper why, was it the physical sacrifical material, or might it have been the heart attitude of Able that was  accepted?

If God accepted Able's sacrifice, but not Cain's  was it not perhaps the attitude of Cain from the beginning that God had refused to accept? And was it not a fallen countenance from which Cain suffered rather than envy? Would God have accepted Cain's sacrifice to Him  if it had be identical to that  of bless? Or would God have refused Cain for his attitude toward Him ( God) from the get go?

I suggest,  primarily for my own consideration,  my mind having been stimulated by your presentation, that Cain was directly angry with God,  and only killed God's accepted servant to retaliate against God. He had no interest because of envy that  another had the eye of God. It was not an either or situation. God could have and would have blessed both men. So  I think perhaps there was not envy, there was literally rebellion and a stealing, a theft. For Cain stole Able in his anger against God.

So I thank you for the interesting presentation. I will  now be working against my own present mindset, by reading the Bible regarding Cain and Able  and challenging my own thought as well as looking over yours. It shall make for a fine time of study.

I welcome any aid in that from you and any others htat may  even very quickly show me my own error in my remembrance of the reveal to us about Cain and Able

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Good morning,

Interesting presentation. Thanks!

I am going to be my picky self, mostly to help me become further educated in the word. You ( and many others) state Cain killed out of envy. That Able's death came as a result of that man's wanting what Able had. But what did Able have? He simply offered a proper sacrifice to God that God accepted. Proper why, was it the physical sacrifical material, or might it have been the heart attitude of Able that was  accepted?

If God accepted Able's sacrifice, but not Cain's  was it not perhaps the attitude of Cain from the beginning that God had refused to accept? And was it not a fallen countenance from which Cain suffered rather than envy? Would God have accepted Cain's sacrifice to Him  if it had be identical to that  of bless? Or would God have refused Cain for his attitude toward Him ( God) from the get go?

I suggest,  primarily for my own consideration,  my mind having been stimulated by your presentation, that Cain was directly angry with God,  and only killed God's accepted servant to retaliate against God. He had no interest because of envy that  another had the eye of God. It was not an either or situation. God could have and would have blessed both men. So  I think perhaps there was not envy, there was literally rebellion and a stealing, a theft. For Cain stole Able in his anger against God.

So I thank you for the interesting presentation. I will  now be working against my own present mindset, by reading the Bible regarding Cain and Able  and challenging my own thought as well as looking over yours. It shall make for a fine time of study.

I welcome any aid in that from you and any others htat may  even very quickly show me my own error in my remembrance of the reveal to us about Cain and Able

Well neighbor here is something else to ponder.    It WAS all about their heart.   and it can be seen in WHAT they brought the LORD.

when adam sinned GOD had animals killed and gave them skins to wear .   BLOOD

when adam and eve had fallen THEY TRIED to cover their SIN,  HOW through the plants of the ground.

now Go again and LOOK at the OFFERINGS they gave.    abel, was sacrifice , cains was well cover , from the plants of the ground.

It was all about the heart.     OH,  and cain did kill out of envy, what did abel have............Gods approval, cain did not .  The world will always hate the righteous deeds

and who can stand before envy.

The jews KILLED JESUS out of envy.   the PEOPLE were starting to follow HIM and not worship them as the big thing.   OH envy is rottenness in the bones. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Well neighbor here is something else to ponder.    It WAS all about their heart.   and it can be seen in WHAT they brought the LORD.

when adam sinned GOD had animals killed and gave them skins to wear .   BLOOD

when adam and eve had fallen THEY TRIED to cover their SIN,  HOW through the plants of the ground.

now Go again and LOOK at the OFFERINGS they gave.    abel, was sacrifice , cains was well cover , from the plants of the ground.

It was all about the heart.     OH,  and cain did kill out of envy, what did abel have............Gods approval, cain did not .  The world will always hate the righteous deeds

and who can stand before envy.

The jews KILLED JESUS out of envy.   the PEOPLE were starting to follow HIM and not worship them as the big thing.   OH envy is rottenness in the bones. 

For they loved the praise of men.     The god of self IS A MONSTER aint it and it will KILL , murder , hate , whatever recognizes IT NOT .

PS..............this will never change so long as we are in this world as it is now.    ENVY leads to hate and hate is murder and will lead to it.

3 hours ago, sermonindex said:

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage. - Philippians 2:6

When we are looking to progress in our understanding of the Lord we must look to the heart and what dwells within. Of all the least talked about sins in our day, Envy is near the top of the list. Perhaps one of the greatest roots of envy is the jealously that God is God and we are not. Such evil desires that desires more then what is given or deserved becomes a distortion of love and therefore is the opposite of love. Thomas Aquinas says of Envy: "Envy according to the aspect of its object is contrary to charity, whence the soul derives its spiritual life. Charity rejoices in our neighbor's good, while envy grieves over it." 

Envy is as old as Adam and Eve. Their firstborn son Cain envied Abel and killed him over extreme jealously. Cain envied Abel because God favored Abel's sacrifice over Cain's. Envy defiles a person and makes them hideous always seeking to put down others that they may be exalted. Of course this is not how it looks on the outside, it can even appear holy but inwardly the desires are evil. Saul envied David (1 Samuel 18:5-9). Isaac, envied the Philistines (Genesis 26:12-16). 

Envy cannot dwell with true godliness but with only that which is false, unspiritual and demonic (James 3:13-16). John R. Stott says, "Envy! Envy is the reverse side of a coin called vanity. Nobody is ever envious of others who is not first proud of himself."

We can envy one's wealth, position, fame, title, honour, health, possessions and many other things. Only Christ who was the one that walked in true humility and did not even count his status as the Son of God important, but humbled himself to death and did not envy but died and emptied himself. 

In God's kingdom when we empty ourselves we are filled, when we die we live, when we humble ourselves we are exalted. When we envy we destroy ourselves. The holy Apostle Peter tells us to "put away envy" (1 Peter 2:1). Strike it away from yourself, be violent with such evil desires that arise in you. 

Have a remedy also for this poison of the heart. When someone is exalted rejoice! When you are lowered rejoice. Never desire anothers exaltation but rejoice that they have been blessed of God and praise God for such a thing. Be content with the gifts God has given you, the Heavenly Father is wise and all-knowing in what He has entrusted you with. 

Sadly when we envy we follow the error also of satan who envied the very throne of God but was cast down in judgment. Let our dying to envy show the evil one and all demons that we are of those who obey Jesus and are washed in the blood of the Lamb. Amen.

facebook.jpg

Envy truly comes from the god of SELF and its a MONSTER.   a MONSTER .   a outright monster.

The jews even delievered JESUS over due to E    N    V     Y.   HE , was getting desicples and man that took from them the praise of men which the god of self ENVIES.

JESUS was delievered due to ENVY.     AND I GAURNATEE it is true.   amen.

Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

Envy truly comes from the god of SELF and its a MONSTER.   a MONSTER .   a outright monster.

The jews even delievered JESUS over due to E    N    V     Y.   HE , was getting desicples and man that took from them the praise of men which the god of self ENVIES.

JESUS was delievered due to ENVY.     AND I GAURNATEE it is true.   amen.

HE was betrayed FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY which the envious ones paid juda. the love of   MONEY and ENVY...............man its like the two are one ....EH.............

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

"1But if you have bitter jealousy and envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not be arrogant, and [as a result] be in defiance of the truth. 15 This [superficial] wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly (secular), natural (unspiritual), even demonic. 16 For where jealousy (envy) and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder [unrest, rebellion] and every evil thing and morally degrading practice." (James 4:14-16 AMP and JPT). 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Good conversations all!

I am beat tonight and so jammed on my own schedule ( Need  to be ready to fly to the  West coast on Saturday) that I will likely  have to revisit this thread in a couple of weeks.   This should develop into a nice study subject for me at least, of the word envy.  I will want to spend some decent amount of time on it for my own benefit, and for good conversation. 

Oh well, something to look forward to  on Worthy when I return. Thanks again all!

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

I have personally seen jealousy and envy manifest in people (deliverance ministers call it the Jezebel Spirit). It is sad because envious person spends their time attacking you because they jealous of your gifts and purpose, and influence, when they themselves have different gifts, purpose, and untapped influence.