IGNORED

What our your thoughts on smoking

10 minutes ago, Davida said:

I do not think that is applicable or helpful to someone contending with this issue. 

Why isnt it applicable? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What is the Christian view of smoking? Is smoking a sin?"

Answer:
The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. "Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive. Later in the same passage we are told, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Smoking is undoubtedly very bad for your health. Smoking has been proven to damage the lungs and the heart.

Can smoking be considered "beneficial" (1 Corinthians 6:12)? Can it be said that smoking is truly honoring God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:20)? Can a person honestly smoke "for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)? We believe that the answer to these three questions is a resounding "no." As a result, we believe that smoking is a sin and therefore should not be practiced by followers of Jesus Christ.

Some argue against this view by pointing to the fact that many people eat unhealthy foods, which can be just as addicting and just as bad for the body. As an example, many people are so helplessly addicted to caffeine that they cannot function without their first cup of coffee in the morning. While this is true, how does that make smoking right? It is our contention that Christians should avoid gluttony and excessively unhealthy eating. Yes, Christians are often hypocritical by condemning one sin and condoning another, but, again, this does not make smoking honoring to God.

Another argument against this view of smoking is that many godly men have been smokers, such as the famous British preacher C.H. Spurgeon, who was known to smoke cigars. Again, we do not believe this argument holds any weight. We believe Spurgeon was wrong for smoking. Was he otherwise a godly man and fantastic teacher of God's Word? Absolutely! Does that make all of his actions and habits honoring to God? No.

In stating that smoking is a sin, we are not stating that all smokers are unsaved. There are many true believers in Jesus Christ who smoke. Smoking does not prevent a person from being saved. Nor does it cause a person to lose salvation. Smoking is no less forgivable than any other sin, whether for a person becoming a Christian or a Christian confessing his/her sin to God (1 John 1:9). At the same time, we firmly believe that smoking is a sin that should be forsaken and, with God’s help, overcome.

https://www.gotquestions.org/smoking-Christian-sin.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,174
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

He hasnt wandered from the truth. He came here and confessed

Is his sin going to send him to hell? NO

He already knows what to do.

He just did this:

James 5: 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

We should just pray that he is able to quit and God super naturally deliver him.

You're way off base with me.

Stop harassing me and instead learn through the Holy Spirit of God to ease up on your self righteous tendencies.

over other peoples comments on posts . I've seen enough of your prt comments to people

If you had read correctly from what post followed before, I was responding confirming that post with scripture.

Edited by 1to3

18 minutes ago, 1to3 said:

Stop harassing me.

If you had read correctly from what post followed before, I was responding confirming that post with scripture.

I only responded to you. Its so unfair for you to call it harrassing. I must have misunderstood. Thank you for accusing me wrongly . You confirmed why I must leave this site. Too much hate on this site has made me a hateful bitch. I didnt get love here. I got hate.I have lost my focus. Enjoy your stay.  You dont have to worry about my comments any longer. Thank you .

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,174
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

43 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

I only responded to you. Its so unfair for you to call it harrassing. I must have misunderstood. Thank you for accusing me wrongly . You confirmed why I must leave this site. Too much hate on this site has made me a hateful bitch. I didnt get love here. I got hate.I have lost my focus. Enjoy your stay.  You dont have to worry about my comments any longer. Thank you .

If you must go...

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

On behalf of my pet laying hens and me;

We wish you well, unlike some of your previous rude & insulting comments to me and my hens, we do not wish you harm, but the peace of the Lord. :)

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" Psalm 34:18,

"I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh" ezekiel 36:26

Edited by 1to3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  7

On 10/2/2017 at 2:33 AM, Justice_League said:

The scripture is pretty clear to me.

Why would you want to hold on so tightly to the idea that you have a right to cast judgment upon others?  

You admitted yourself that you are a smoker. So by your logic, it is not permissible for you to cast judgment upon another smoker. However, it is permissible for you to cast judgment upon a glutton, a drinker of coffee or alcohol, or some other type of sinner?

If you truly accept the fact that you yourself are a sinner, then what right could you possibly feel in your heart to cast judgement upon others for any of their sins - regardless of the details of the particular sin?

You have been casting judgement yourself: by saying that missmuffet is wrong to judge you're judging yourself. 

It's impossible to tell right from wrong without making a moral judgement. We are called to make moral judgements, just not to judge hypocritically as you have done thus far by chastising Missmuffet for judging while making yourself judge over the wrongness of her action of judging. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

19 hours ago, LuftWaffle said:

You have been casting judgement yourself: by saying that missmuffet is wrong to judge you're judging yourself. 

It's impossible to tell right from wrong without making a moral judgement. We are called to make moral judgements, just not to judge hypocritically as you have done thus far by chastising Missmuffet for judging while making yourself judge over the wrongness of her action of judging. 

Actually, I made no statement of judgment towards her. Judgment vs. discernment. There is a difference between being self-righteously judgmental in regards to another person’s sin, and using discernment in regards to moral right vs. wrong and what God’s word has to say about it. 

I explained why I believe her stance to be incorrect, and put forth some probing questions which I hope would lead her to examine the Word and her own beliefs about judging the behavior of otbers when we are all sinners. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  7

4 hours ago, Justice_League said:

Actually, I made no statement of judgment towards her. Judgment vs. discernment. 

To judge is simply to make distinction between right or wrong and to determine whether someone is guilty of something they ought not do. This is what you did, but now you're declaring your judgement as righteous by artificially redefining it as "discernment", but when others do it, it's the bad kind of judgement. It's rather self-serving, wouldn't you say? 

Edited by LuftWaffle

15 hours ago, Davida said:

Nah actually you are sitting in judgment in the same breath that you are accusing another of sitting in judgment.

Now back to the thread: my thoughts on smoking? is that it is bad & you should quit. :)

Nope. But thanks for your input. :)

14 hours ago, LuftWaffle said:

To judge is simply to make distinction between right or wrong and to determine whether someone is guilty of something they ought not do. This is what you did, but now you're declaring your judgement as righteous by artificially redefining it as "discernment", but when others do it, it's the bad kind of judgement. It's rather self-serving, wouldn't you say? 

Disagree. And no, it’s not. But thanks for the input. :)