IGNORED

WorthyNews:Trump's tax reform plan: Who are the winners and losers?

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.47
  • Content Count:  44,258
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) - President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans unveiled Wednesday their plan for a massive tax overhaul.

The plan, meant to be a framework for Congress to negotiate into legislation, still has missing parts. But read on for a look at who wins and loses under the proposal as it stands now. [ Source: Fox News (Read More...) ]

View the full article

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I think another loser will be charities that depend on donations from middle class americans.  Our country has a unique and long history of philanthropy but doubling the standard deduction will take away a key benefit of giving for the average person by effectively giving the benefit to everyone whether they contribute to charities or not.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, shoes_untied said:

I think another loser will be charities that depend on donations from middle class americans.  Our country has a unique and long history of philanthropy but doubling the standard deduction will take away a key benefit of giving for the average person by effectively giving the benefit to everyone whether they contribute to charities or not.

Most people like myself who give to charities, give because of what they do and who they help. We are not thinking about the standard deduction at the end of the year.   We will give no matter what.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

43 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Most people like myself who give to charities, give because of what they do and who they help. We are not thinking about the standard deduction at the end of the year.   We will give no matter what.

The fact that the week between Christmas and New Year is one of/if not the largest giving weeks of the year points to the fact that people have their eye on their upcoming tax filing when they make end of the year gifts.  I am like you in that my faith and beliefs guide who I support but since I itemize deductions, as I review my giving at the end of the year, if I realize that my giving is down but my tax withholding has been the same, I start weighing whether I want to support a few more causes or pay more in taxes.  If my standard deduction is doubled, that incentive is gone.  At least it would be for me since we have minimal mortage interest being towards the end of our mortgage.

There are other reasons as well such as realizing I've fallen behind on church pledge, holiday spritit, etc... but taxes play a big part in overal philanthropy.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

We never even get receipts for them....   I wouldn't even our church giving if they didn't just send it to us.