• Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

A MESSAGE FOR YOM KIPPUR: 
Scripture portions to read and meditate on; 

TORAH:  Lev 16:1-34 ; Lev 18:1-30 ; Num 29:7-11
PROPHETS:  Isa 57:14-58:14 ; Jonah ; Micah 7:18-20 ; Joel 2:12-14
BRIT HaDASHAH:  Rom 3:21-26 ; Heb 10:1-14

“Stop, Think, and Turn” are three good words to use for this year’s “Yom Kippur”.  It is a day for “afflicting one’s soul”.  A time to “stop” and search one’s self and ask the question;
     “Where Am I in my relation to God”
     Adam was asked the same question when he and Eve were in the garden of Eden, hiding after they had sinned. God asked him;
     “Adam, where are you?”
     Was it that He didn’t know where he was?  Of course, He did, He knows ALL THINGS, so, perhaps the question is a little deeper than meets the eye.  We could add to the question asking;
     “Where are you in your relationship with me?” 
     We all enter this world as sinners, born with the sin nature. Now here are some interesting ways to remember the three classes of “disobedience” “SIN” = missing the mark, disconnected, doing your own “thing” and not God’s “thing”.  “INIQUITY” = perversion, twisting something the wrong way, cutting off the flow, taking God’s Word and making it what you want it to mean, and not what God means it to mean.  “TRANSGRESSION” = open opposition, rebellion, “I don’t care what the Torah says, I’m doing it anyway, just because I want to!”
      There comes a time when each and every person will be accountable for his or her sin nature.  In the Old Testament times, the animal sacrificial system was instituted to “cover” sin.  The word “cover” is “Kafar” from this we get, “Kippur” so the words, “Yom Kippur” mean, “Day of Covering”.  We also have “Yom HaKipurim” of “day of Coverings” This was because during this time when the Cohen HaGadol went into the “Holy of Holies”, he had to sprinkle the blood of a bull, a ram, 7 lambs, and a goat on the “Kaporet” (the covering of the Ark of the Covenant). 
     Yet these “coverings” did not really “atone” sin forever, it was something temporary, only for a year until the next “Yom Kippur”.  Would there be anything better?  YES, our heavenly father looked into the future since the time of creation, and planned something special.  HE, HIMSELF would come to earth in human form and HE would be the atoning sacrifice that would “forgive” and “atone for sin completely, forever”
     When we read Hebrews 10:4-12, we learn that the “blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sin” but that through the body of Mashiach Yeshua, we are made “Kadosh” (Holy) once, and for all time! (vs 10) That is why YHVH “took away the first to establish the second” (vs 9) The old covenant sacrificial system was done away with, in order to establish the New Covenant blood sacrifice of Yeshua HaMashiach, ONCE and only ONCE, good for ALL TIME.  No wonder the “New” is better than the “Old”
     All the animal sacrifices in the Old Covenant pointed to Yeshua’s sacrifice (that would come, if we are looking from the past towards the future).  People were still saved by faith even before Yeshua’s time.  They illustrated their faith by presenting the animal sacrifices which pointed to HIM!  We must remember that the animals did not nor did ever save them, it was always their FAITH which saved them. 
     During the Yom Kippur ceremony in ancient times, two goats were used.  One was selected for the sacrifice, the other, titled AZAZEL, was led off into the wilderness and, according to tradition, pushed off a cliff. “Azazel” is made up of two words; “az” = goat, and “azel” = go away, so, we can say that the word is the “goat which goes away”.  The high priest used to tie a crimson cloth on one of the horns of the goat, and a similar cloth was tied on the door of the Holy Temple in Yerushalayim, the day after Yom Kippur, the cloth changed color to “white” this symbolized that YHVH had accepted the sacrifice, and that the sins of Israel were covered for another year
     When Yeshua paid the price for our sins, all changed.  The cloth no longer turned white, it remained crimson color, indicating that YHVH no longer accepted the sacrifice of the goat.  Why not? Because YESHUA had made the ultimate sacrifice, and that NOW, all of our sins are completely atoned for.
While one goat was sacrificed and the other was sent away, we have two examples in scripture that illustrate the concept of “sacrifice and sent away”.  Yosef Ben Ya’akov, (Joseph, the son of Jacob) was sold by his brothers for 20 pieces of silver.  Yosef was “sent away” to Egypt, and in his place, a goat was killed by his brothers and the blood sprinkled upon Yosef’s garments.  The blood symbolized the blood of Yosef to deceive his father Jacob.
     Another example is during the trial of Yeshua by Pontius Pilatus.  Yeshua was sacrificed on the Cross of Calvary, while Bar-Abbas was sent away free!  This time, Yeshua’s blood atoned not only for the sins of Bar-Abbas, but for ALL sins!
     We ask, where does the word “Atonement” come from.  We know from the Hebrew text, the word is “Kaphar” which means “to cover, to purge, to make reconciliation, to cover with pitch” It is interesting that the word “pitch” is the word “Kaphar”.  We remember that Noah covered the ark with pitch, to make it waterproof.  Noah’s ark was seen as protection against the waters of judgment which destroyed the world.  The “pitch” made the ark waterproof and kept everyone inside the ark safe and dry while going through the judgment.  The ark is seen as salvation “Yeshuah” from judgment.
     The blood atonement of Yeshua brought to us “salvation” from the judgment of sin.  The word “Atonement” at one time, meant: “At-One-Ment” which was first used in the English Bible in the 1500s.  The word means to be “at-one” with God, through the substitutionary death of Mashiach Yeshua on our behalf.   
     So, in conclusion, we need to “Stop and think” where are we in our relationship with God? We are all guilty of sin, sins that we commit in ignorance and knowingly.  We need to “return” to HIM through confession and repentance, with a change of mind.  We can do this 24-7, 365 days in the year, but this time of year is when we should be more conscience of our sin, let’s get back to Adonai. 
    If we cry out, and turn from our sins, then, HE who is on high will listen, and forgive our iniquities.

“Even now, declares YHVH, turn to me with all your heart
             And with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning,
             And tear your heart and not your garments, and turn back
             To YHVH your Elohim, for He shows favor and is full of
             Compassion, patient, and of great kindness, and he shall
             Relent concerning evil.  Who knows, he might turn and
             Relent, and leave a blessing behind Him…”    Joel 2:12-14

Rabbi Ben Avraham
  • Loved it! 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

I find it interesting that it is thought that sin in the OT was only temporarily covered. What of Elijah, Enoch, and Moses? They are with God in glory so surely their sins are forgiven? Their sins, were they not, transferred in type to the sacrificial animal before the altar? Then the sins, which were symbolically carried into the temple and transferred to the holy place through the sprinkling of the blood. Then on the day of atonement the tabernacle was cleansed ...

KJV Leviticus 16
23 And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall put off the linen garments, which he put on when he went into the holy place, and shall leave them there:
17 And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.
18 And he shall go out unto the altar that is before the LORD, and make an atonement for it; and shall take of the blood of the bullock, and of the blood of the goat, and put it upon the horns of the altar round about.
19 And he shall sprinkle of the blood upon it with his finger seven times, and cleanse it, and hallow it from the uncleanness of the children of Israel.
20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat:
21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:
22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

Those inquiries and sins confessed upon the live goat comprised all the sins that had accumulated in the temple over the previous year. Thus in my mind, so long as the people had confessed every sin that they were consciously aware of, and made sacrifice, they were forgiven. But a record of their sins were "still in the books" so to speak. Our sins are recorded in the books of heaven. Yeshua our High Priest is now officiating in the heavenly sanctuary and when He comes we will know that the true Yom Kippur will have come to a close ...the books in heaven will be cleared of all that is recorded there regarding our past sins. 

That is not the end of them though. They were first carried to heaven into the sanctuary by the Priest, Yeshua, after they were laid upon Him at the cross. (Passover). His offering was accepted when He rose from the dead (wave offering) , He was annointed King and High Priest at pentecost 50 days later, and the antitypical day of atonement which was the next holy day on the calender is going on as we live. Yeshua has already borne our sins and paid the price of our redemption. He does not bear them again after transferring them symbolically to the heavenly sanctuary. The live goat is Satan. After the sanctuary is cleansed Satan must bear his responsibility as the accuser and tempted of the brethren...he must accept his share of the guilt in our sin and it is a strong angel who binds him in the wilderness 1000 years until his destruction.

Then remains only one unfulfilled feast day...the feast of tabernacles which we celebrate together at the consummation of all things.

Of course I am aware this version of events may arouse some criticism...that's okay ...I see things a little different from most and I understand most believe the scapegoat to be Yeshua. I happen to think that scenario cannot harmonize with the type/antitype methodology.

Edited by brakelite
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

Thank you, Brakelite.

Thank you for offering that up.
Mind if I take your bullock and part it?

I find it interesting that it is thought that sin in the OT was only temporarily covered.

Yes. As if God and His Son weren't able to atone back then.

What of Elijah, Enoch, and Moses? They are with God in glory so surely their sins are forgiven?

The law came by Moses, in which atonement for sin is fully explained.

Their sins, were they not, transferred in type to the sacrificial animal before the altar?

Much time and effort is sacrificed by many in bringing their bullocks before men.
Not many bring their bull to God anymore.
So really, how do they even know He approves what they are putting before their fellowmen?

Then the sins, which were symbolically carried into the temple and transferred to the holy place through the sprinkling of the blood.

If you take a look inside a camp in Israel (like a forum, where the children of God meet),
you can watch them killing each others offerings, and the blood being dashed about every where.
They will even tell you, what you offered up was bull.

(I try to part your bullock after the manner instructed in Leviticus).

Then on the day of atonement the tabernacle was cleansed ...

On the tenth day of the seventh month is the day of atonement.
This is the complete forgiving of sins that many believe is not in the Old Testament.

Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement:
it shall be an holy convocation unto you;
and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
And ye shall do no work in that same day:
for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.

Leviticus 23:27-28

This day occurs in the seventh month in, of doing the feast of weeks.
(At least, it did for me.)

Those inquiries and sins confessed upon the live goat comprised all the sins that had accumulated in the temple over the previous year. Thus in my mind, so long as the people had confessed every sin that they were consciously aware of, and made sacrifice, they were forgiven. But a record of their sins were "still in the books" so to speak. Our sins are recorded in the books of heaven. Yeshua our High Priest is now officiating in the heavenly sanctuary and when He comes we will know that the true Yom Kippur will have come to a close ...the books in heaven will be cleared of all that is recorded there regarding our past sins.

When I pray, I pray God get the goats out and off of me in Jesus' name.
I'm done with kidding around.
I want all my incense to be frank.

That is not the end of them though. They were first carried to heaven into the sanctuary by the Priest, Yeshua, after they were laid upon Him at the cross. (Passover). His offering was accepted when He rose from the dead (wave offering) , He was annointed King and High Priest at pentecost 50 days later, and the antitypical day of atonement which was the next holy day on the calender is going on as we live. Yeshua has already borne our sins and paid the price of our redemption. He does not bear them again after transferring them symbolically to the heavenly sanctuary. The live goat is Satan. After the sanctuary is cleansed Satan must bear his responsibility as the accuser and tempted of the brethren...he must accept his share of the guilt in our sin and it is a strong angel who binds him in the wilderness 1000 years until his destruction.

I see it as God commanding us to wave offerings before the Lord Jesus (our Priest).

Then remains only one unfulfilled feast day...the feast of tabernacles which we celebrate together at the consummation of all things.

Abraham saw His day, and was glad. (John 8:56)
There were some in the crowd before Jesus who would get to see His day before they died. (Matt 16:28; Mar 9:1; Luk 9:27)

Of course I am aware this version of events may arouse some criticism...that's okay ...I see things a little different from most and I understand most believe the scapegoat to be Yeshua. I happen to think that scenario cannot harmonize with the type/antitype methodology.

You love judgment, don't you? :rolleyes:

People believe Jesus is their sacrificial Lamb (not a goat)
but I believe He is God's lamb.
He is the Lamb of God,
and we also have to offer our selves to God as suckling rams, as He commanded.

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

1 Peter 2:2-3

Anyhow, if you see any bull in my bullock,
I don't mind if you kill it.
It would be a blessing :)

Praise Jesus and have a good day
Paul

Thou shalt part it in pieces, and pour oil thereon:
it is a meat offering.

Leviticus 2:6

Edited by HarvestLabourer