• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Why the Apostle Paul had to suffer so much: 

""For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”-Acts 9:16

"Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not." -2 Corinthians 11:25-26) 

Why was the Apostle Paul subjected  to such sufferings? 

The answer I think is foumd here: 

"For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me--and not without results. For I have worked harder than any of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace." (1 Corinthians 15:9-10)

I think the Lord Jesus allowed Paul to suffer fpr his own cpnscious to help him bear and forgive himself for persecuting the church prior to becoming an apostle of the Church. I don't think Jesus inflicted these sufferings as some kind of pennance but rather as a personal experiance for Paul to help live with  Stoning Stephen (Acts 7) and the harm he had done to the Church in his ignorance and unbelief. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Well, it will turn harsh for all true believers soon enough .   when once this monster all inclusive interfaith has runs its course

and its delusion hits the minds of all who know not Christ .    Armour up and be prepared to lose all and even die for the true gospel of our Lord.

BE ENCOURAGED.  this life is but a vapor , but the JOY of knowing the LORD is worth all things suffered in this life.

and what JOY even now amen

• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

I  believe the mission of Paul was a very rocky one, and it needed someone with perseverance, and someone who was very gratefull to Jesus.

I think Jesus Christ must have people like Paul in his mind, when he said, "to the one who is the Lord has forgiven a lot, is the one who is capable to love the Lord a lot.

and not to turn bitter and start complaining. 

When Paul met Jesus on the way to Damascous he was surprised that he did not died, knowing what happened to everyone who had lifted their hands against God's elect. 

As you pointed out Paul knew first hand what is waiting ahead for those who serve the Lord in unprotected environments. 

Paul understood the Kjngtom of Jesus more than anyone else. Just as Pilot understood it, not of this world. 

The other disciples it was a time that the argued, who is going to sit to the left or to the right, they could not get away from their desires for earthly power and glory. 

Paul knew what the authorities think about that, and what was waiting ahead of him.

He was happy not only that he lived, but the way he experience the power of God in his life. 

In the Prison in Philipei, and when the right time came how Jesus had arrange his transportation to Rome. 

Saving him from the mob of the Jews, putting the Romans in charge for his safety, and in charge of bringing Paul all the to Rome, and appearing before Ceasar. 

Paul only had to say" I Appeal to Ceasar" and "I believe in the Resurrection. It is amazing. 

I am bless from your post. 

I don't agree with everything, but I am bless with your Post. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Paul did not see himself worthy as an apostle considering his past history of persecuting early disciples of Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Well, it will turn harsh for all true believers soon enough .   when once this monster all inclusive interfaith has runs its course

and its delusion hits the minds of all who know not Christ .    Armour up and be prepared to lose all and even die for the true gospel of our Lord.

BE ENCOURAGED.  this life is but a vapor , but the JOY of knowing the LORD is worth all things suffered in this life.

and what JOY even now amen

You speak of the coming persecution (which is already beginning), "And the beast was allowed to wage war against God's holy people and to conquer them. And he was given authority to rule over every tribe and people and language and nation," (Revelation 13:7), "This means that God's holy people must endure persecution patiently, obeying his commands and maintaining their faith in Jesus," (Revelation 14:12), "tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith?" (Luke 18:8), "I answered, "Sir, you know." And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb," (Revelation 7:14), "strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, and "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God," (Acts 14:22). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

On 10/4/2017 at 4:48 AM, Fidei Defensor said:

Why the Apostle Paul had to suffer so much: 

""For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”-Acts 9:16

"Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not." -2 Corinthians 11:25-26) 

Why was the Apostle Paul subjected  to such sufferings? 

The answer I think is foumd here: 

"For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me--and not without results. For I have worked harder than any of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace." (1 Corinthians 15:9-10)

I think the Lord Jesus allowed Paul to suffer fpr his own cpnscious to help him bear and forgive himself for persecuting the church prior to becoming an apostle of the Church. I don't think Jesus inflicted these sufferings as some kind of pennance but rather as a personal experiance for Paul to help live with  Stoning Stephen (Acts 7) and the harm he had done to the Church in his ignorance and unbelief. 

One word for all that.....YUP :whoop-dee-doo:(<--- sorry just thought that one was funny)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  08/20/1948

When you preach the truth, when you tell people what God says, you will get persecuted.  You will be attacked by the world, by everybody including the church.  I believe Christians will attack you harder for speaking the truth because it attacks their chuchy doctrines.  I realize that sounds crazy but sounding crazy does not mean 'wrong'. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

I think we all want to extrapolate meaning in Saul's suffering (he never changed his name but had two).

We in this modern age of 56 minute TV programs, that more often than not end with everyone understanding and feeling a bit fuzzy. We just cannot give a 'quick-fit' and immediately comprehend Saul's life.

It is as if Saul himself is a thorn in our religious sides. It niggles us and causes so much turmoil just attempting to understand God's motives, meanings and end-game.

God's ways are past finding out sometimes; but the underlying meanings and implications are quite apparent if we take what Saul said at face value and don't analyse it to death. Jeremiah is also a worthy study in a similar vein.
However, according to the NT only people, the OT is superseded by the NT. This is sad because it may deprive some of us from really seeing in greater depth God's methods and motives thru all the people he chooses.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, Denadii said:

When you preach the truth, when you tell people what God says, you will get persecuted.  You will be attacked by the world, by everybody including the church.  I believe Christians will attack you harder for speaking the truth because it attacks their chuchy doctrines.  I realize that sounds crazy but sounding crazy does not mean 'wrong'. 

Well Jesus was attacked by Church of Day (Pharisees and Sadducees often) and by his local church, "All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this.They got up, drove him out of the town, and took him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw him off the cliff.But Jesus passed through the crowd and went on His way." (Luke 4:28-30). Worse Jesus was attacked by His extended family (half brothers and sisters, children of Joseph and Mary Matthew 1:24-25), "Then Jesus went home, and once again a crowd gathered, so that He and His disciples could not even eat, And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.” (Mark 3:21).  Hence why Jesus rejects them back, "Then Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, "Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you." Jesus replied, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" Then he looked at those around him and said, "Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." (Mark 3:31-35), and the Will Jesus is talking about is this, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day." (John 6:40). Christ was no stranger to persecution, He was persecuted by Religious Elite (Pharisees and Sadducees), His neighbors, and his own family members (children of Joseph and Mary after Jesus was born miraculous, for Jesus is God John 1:1-18, Colossians 2:9 and became flesh John 1:14, 1 John 4:1-3. 

• Thumbs Up 1