ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

In a discussion, a phrase came up and I noted that it was not in the bible. Someone then showed me it was in the living bible translation. When I later looked it up in other translations, I noticed that it matched none of the other translations. It was even further astray than the message bible, and thats saying a lot.

Im curious what yall think of the living bible translation.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Here is the verse. From proverbs 16:27

the living bible translation

Idle hands are the devil’s workshop; idle lips are his mouthpiece.

KJV

An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.

NKJV

An ungodly man digs up evil,
And it is on his lips like a burning fire.

NASB

A worthless man digs up evil,
While his words are like scorching fire.

NIV

A scoundrel plots evil,
    and on their lips it is like a scorching fire.

the message

Mean people spread mean gossip;
    their words smart and burn.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

9 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

In a discussion, a phrase came up and I noted that it was not in the bible. Someone then showed me it was in the living bible translation. When I later looked it up in other translations, I noticed that it matched none of the other translations. It was even further astray than the message bible, and thats saying a lot.

Im curious what yall think of the living bible translation.

Im leary of paraphrase. But at the same time Corrie Ten Boon who i totally respect made it through the holocost with a phillips new testiment and the Lord. I think the Lord is absolutley neccesary no matter what translation we have. Under ground churches during times of persicution in history often seperated a bible among the members. people memorized the pages they were given then destroyed them. So the bible was in the peoples hearts not written on pages so it couldn't be taken from them.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  612
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Reinitin said:

Im leary of paraphrase. But at the same time Corrie Ten Boon who i totally respect made it through the holocost with a phillips new testiment and the Lord. I think the Lord is absolutley neccesary no matter what translation we have. Under ground churches during times of persicution in history often seperated a bible among the members. people memorized the pages they were given then destroyed them. So the bible was in the peoples hearts not written on pages so it couldn't be taken from them.

Cory Ten Boon was a Romanite who followed and trusted in the Romanite sacraments and had a picture of a Hindu god on her wall, if she did not trust in Jesus Christ alone for here sins then she is in Hell.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, Robert William said:

Cory Ten Boon was a Romanite who followed and trusted in the Romanite sacraments and had a picture of a Hindu god on her wall, if she did not trust in Jesus Christ alone for here sins then she is in Hell.

Corrie ten Boom was a very Godly lady who was used by God in a mighty way , please be careful of what you post, you are responsible for what you say...

I will post the movie about her life in the video section,if you want to know more about her then please watch this movie ..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

If I could be 1/100th the Christian that Corrie was I'd probably be able to walk on water!

Seriously, Corrie Ten Boom would most likely shame us all to silence were she present here with us now!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Many years ago, about the only choice you had was extremely literal translations or literal translations.  For example the KJV or RSV.  As I recall, the TLB came about because someone wanted their kids to be able to enjoy reading the Bible.  He basically paraphrased it for his kids and then started systematically do the entire Bible.  As I understand it, the NLT (New Living Translation) is a different version.   I did a quick look up and found the Wiki article has some nice info that corresponds to what I remember of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Bible 

Way back when when I became a Christian, you had few choices.  Either highly literal like KJV or RSV or a paraphrase like the TLB.  I liked the TLB for awhile and then went with the NIV (a dynamic equivalent translation) when it came out.  When doing study back then, I'd use multiple versions along with Strong's concordance and the typical older tools.

I find that there are 3 typical types of Bible reading that most Christians do to some extent.

1. Devotional reading and memorizing.  This is the daily, "what does God have for me today" type of reading.  Most Christians I know have a favorite version they like to use for this.  Some people like literal (and have used the KJV for decades), others like dynamic equivalents or paraphrases for this.  Back in the day, I used the TLB for this.

2. Study.  This is looking in depth at a particular verse, passage, or book.  Most Christians I know will use multiple versions plus other study tools to do this.

3. Extensive reading.  This is reading the entire Bible through in a relatively short time in order to see the big picture.  I know fewer Christians who do this, but one of the keys seems to be a version that is comfortable for them to read.  My sense is that dynamic equivalents and paraphrases get used for this type of reading more than literal versions.

My sense is that the Living Bible (at least the old version, not necessarily the newer version of it which I've never read) has had its run of usefulness.  It helped a lot of Christians many years ago by filling a need that newer dynamic equivalence translations have helped fill.  

I haven't read it in many years, though I have fond memories of it.  I think I still have that old greenish hard cover version with my name engraved that my parents gave me probably 40 years ago.

3 hours ago, Robert William said:

oh bolognia.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

The paraphrased bible is quite good for kids learning, or to get a new angle on something.
I have noted that ANY assembly you go to, if there is a guy up front talking about the Gospel, or preaching, or explaining; then he or she is paraphrasing biblical topic stuff; putting it a different way etc. in light of their own understanding.

So it is on this site. People are always paraphrasing scripture and putting their perspectives forward. So paraphrases or even commentaries, are a way of life. Some better than others. And like Gandalf said; in the dim and distant past, we only had parchment copies of the Latin, so anything was better than that. (see, I incorrectly paraphrased him)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, angels4u said:

Corrie ten Boom was a very Godly lady who was used by God in a mighty way , please be careful of what you post, you are responsible for what you say...

I will post the movie about her life in the video section,if you want to know more about her then please watch this movie ..

If we posted a movie of all the dirt we could dig up on anyone but Christ We could sit around and Judge everyone, slander an discredit every one of us sinful people that dare to stand up before people and confess Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. Im sure being in a prison camp, watching her family die she may of got some of her doctrin wrong but she got love right and the right Jesus and forgiveness right.

I wouldn't consider anything cannon but cannon which even Paul has letters that didn't make it into cannon. Satan is the accuser of brethern Not Jesus. Talk about issues in doctrin. then amen. condemn her? It's satanic works.

don’t judge anything prematurely, before the Lord comes, who will both bring to light what is hidden in darkness and reveal the intentions of the hearts. And then praise will come to each one from God.

I heard of a methodist man that spoke boldly of Christ Jesus. he was illierate had his wife help him learn to write in his thirty's. Someone started to attack him about his grammar. He stood up straight bold in the Lord and said. I give 100% of my bad grammar to the Lord How much of your gammar is for the Lord. 

Corrie gave her imperfect self to the Lord. she was his he will judge her and you and me so let Him be judge of people.