Muslim neighbors?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Just wondering if any of you have some Muslim neighbors?  In my neighborhood/area of Los  Angeles, we mainly have Muslims from Bangladesh.

I rarely see Middle Eastern Muslims...when I do, they usually are covered up, sometimes totally.  But the Bangladeshi Muslims usually do not cover up, not even their hair in most cases.  They are a friendly people.  I have some good friends from Bangladesh.

Anyhow, if you do have some Muslim neighbors, are you able to befriend them or at least reach out in Christian love?

I remember a Bangladeshi young lady I met at a forum...she was disappointed that the Christians didn't come Christmas caroling at her house...so there are many ways of reaching out.

• Thanks 1

I guess most of you don't live in a city or town that gets alot of different ethnic groups.

Los Angeles is really diverse...I live in an area usually called Korea Town.  But there are also many Hispanics, some Caucasians and some African Americans.  A little further North is Little Bangladesh.

Once when I was in an Indian restaurant,  a Jehovah's Witness lady was trying to reach out to the Muslims.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

Hi, debp.  I live in Houston and they ARE muslims here; l don't have any as neighbors though.  I know one whose parents came from Bangaldesh and he is my Opthamolgist.  He's muslim but employs nearly all Hispanics in his office and I know they are not muslim.  His wife dresses like everyone else too.  He's a very nice man but we don't discuss religion even though we'vl discussed many other things.  If I had muslim neighbors I'm not sure if I would interact with them.  I guess it would depend on them.

Oh, and welcome to Worthy!  :)

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

used to work with a muslim at wal-mart in college....we often spent our lunches debating christianity vs islam. He was a pretty good guy, enjoyed a good debate. Would even consider him a friend. We could disagree with each other, even get in heated arguments (we would clear the lunch room out in a hurry) but right after be side by side stocking shelves and helping each other out with stuff after work. Its something thats missing in todays culture....people can't figure out that just because you disagree with someone doesnt mean you hate them.

Thanks to all of you for your very interesting replies, thoughts.

My friends from Bangladesh visited Christian schools in which to perhaps enroll their daughter.    They finally visited the Islamic school but said they didn't want her going there as the Islamic school required a hijab/head covering, and the mother said she doesn't wear one so why should her daughter.

I minored in missions years ago, and in the personal evangelism class, they did teach friendship evangelism.

I think Muslims are scared to leave it because they can be disowned or even killed by their families.  But with God, all things are possible!  I pray more and more Muslims will come to Christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/6/2017 at 3:47 AM, Debp said:

Just wondering if any of you have some Muslim neighbors?  In my neighborhood/area of Los  Angeles, we mainly have Muslims from Bangladesh.

I rarely see Middle Eastern Muslims...when I do, they usually are covered up, sometimes totally.  But the Bangladeshi Muslims usually do not cover up, not even their hair in most cases.  They are a friendly people.  I have some good friends from Bangladesh.

Anyhow, if you do have some Muslim neighbors, are you able to befriend them or at least reach out in Christian love?

I remember a Bangladeshi young lady I met at a forum...she was disappointed that the Christians didn't come Christmas caroling at her house...so there are many ways of reaching out.

You must be very careful around Muslims. Because there are many who do not like Christians, who do not like the West, and who are only here to cause havoc, pushing their evil Sharia law upon us. Approach them carefully.  But if you do find ones out there who are friendly and may possibly be receptive, and most certainly there will be some, then absolutely, you can and should reach out to them.

On 10/8/2017 at 2:28 AM, Debp said:

I think Muslims are scared to leave it because they can be disowned or even killed by their families.

I have heard people "in the know" who say the very same thing about Muslims

On 10/8/2017 at 12:32 AM, Abdicate said:

I've visited 46 countries and lived in 7 for more than two years at least

Aww man you are making me soooo jealous. :laugh::D

Everybody in my family has been to other parts of the world (my brother is Canadian air force, my dad is retired Navy, no explanation needed there) and my dad with my mom have spent many years travelling in parts of Western Europe. I am the only one who hasnt been off the continent. Cuz there is no way my husband and I can afford it. 

Of course I have been across Canada a few times and even to the US a couple of times but I am 46 now and havent done all that since I was 10 and remember very little. 

My mom once reminded me she only started travelling with my dad within the last 10 years or so, but I tell her you know full well you went to Scotland once when you were 20, that counts too even though you may remember nothing of it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I don't have Muslim neighbors but I used to work with a Muslim man from Egypt. He was a good guy. I knew him about 10 yrs and towards the end of my time on that job we started discussing our faiths. I was surprised to hear him say he believed in the virgin birth but he denied that Jesus is the only begotten son of God. He told me The God, as they say it, breathed on Mary and she became pregnant with Jesus. So, I said, why don't you believe Jesus is the son of God? His answer: Because God doesn't have sons or daughters, nor does He have a wife or brothers or sisters. I really didn't know how what to say next. We were Taxi drivers and then he was sent on a call. We never got to talk again that night and then hurricane Sandy hit us and I was out for 3 months. I never got to speak with that man again. Btw, when the Muslim Brotherhood took over in Egypt he was very upset. He hated them. 

There's all kinds of Muslims and before you mention Christianity to them find out what kind they are. Your question was how to reach out to them. In my opinion by demonstrating what a Christian is. At some point they will notice you're different. If they ask you then mention Christianity and Jesus. Sadly, most Christians behave worse than atheists. You can't do that and then preach Jesus.  

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

You must be very careful around Muslims. Because there are many who do not like Christians, who do not like the West, and who are only here to cause havoc, pushing their evil Sharia law upon us. Approach them carefully.  But if you do find ones out there who are friendly and may possibly be receptive, and most certainly there will be some, then absolutely, you can and should reach out to them.

My friends from Bangladesh are friendly, love the USA....don't follow Islam strictly, just holidays, no pork.   The lady  told me they didn't like going out with  Iranians they knew because  they felt obligated to eat Halal, and they never follow Halal.  They seem more like Christians than some Christians actually.   They don't do ritual prayers....of course, we all need our Lord as personal Savior.

I think it's important for Christians to at least reach out in Christian love.  Because some Americans can be mean to them and we don't want them to get the wrong idea of what Christians are like.   And perhaps God will use us somehow for them  to know Jesus.

My friend's daughter is a sweet, quiet girl.  In school one boy used to always hit her in the head with a book when the teacher wasn't looking.   Another time their  young daughter was invited to a birthday party like the other classmates....but the sweet girl was actually shunned at the party. 

The birthday girl took the present from her but turned her face away while taking the present!  The sweet girl had to phone her dad to pick her up from the party.   This sweet girl used to talk to a tree, pretending it was a friend!   Her mother confided in me and I would help her about these kinds of things.

So isn't it good to reach out in Christian love, not only to Muslims, but all people?  We never know how God will use us.

• Thumbs Up 1