OldSchool2

If you use Kaspersky, you need to know this

from Wapo:

"The U.S. government on Wednesday moved to ban the use of a Russian brand of security software by federal agencies amid concerns the company has ties to state-sponsored cyberespionage activities.

"In a binding directive, acting homeland security secretary Elaine Duke ordered that federal civilian agencies identify Kaspersky Lab software on their networks. After 90 days, unless otherwise directed, they must remove the software, on the grounds that the company has connections to the Russian government and its software poses a security risk...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-to-ban-use-of-kaspersky-software-in-federal-agencies-amid-concerns-of-russian-espionage/2017/09/13/36b717d0-989e-11e7-82e4-f1076f6d6152_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.97fe1385611f

By 2010 I have a license of that lab... Once it expired it has a timebomb that damaged my HDD so, as anyone could guess, I DONT recommend it at all.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

18 hours ago, secularhermit said:

By 2010 I have a license of that lab... Once it expired it has a timebomb that damaged my HDD so, as anyone could guess, I DONT recommend it at all.

"timebomb"?

On 16/11/2017 at 6:12 PM, Sojourner414 said:

"timebomb"?

There was something in that exploded, leaving viruses in my computer, in a way I had to format my HDD. I had no way to restore data... ;(

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2017 at 8:41 AM, secularhermit said:

There was something in that exploded, leaving viruses in my computer, in a way I had to format my HDD. I had no way to restore data... ;(

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Do we have to replace Kaspersky?

I have ESET if you have to make a change. It may cost a little more but it is very good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 12:26 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I've used Kaspersky and never had any problems with it.  McAfee I had loads of problems with and would not use them if paid to.  My favorite has always be Avast!  I used a second problem for malware and other illicit programs and Zone Alarm for firewall protection that interfered with security of my operating system.  Things were great for years.  But I'm now using Symantec because it's free.

How are you getting free Norton (Symantec)?

And Kaspersky has connections to the Russian government and its software poses a security risk to any gov't office. 

Yes, West Coast, think Eugene where I used to live is HO for Symantec. Problem with it is it is cumbersome and some controls programs had a hard time with it. Fsecure is one of the best - Scandinavian.
But I use AVG as this never mangled the controls software comm interfaces.

Avast is also good. If you have a good root kit (free) and run it frequently, and you are on a fire-walled wi-fi then there is not much to worry about. You have more to fear from goolag et co. They love to read all you write.
For email, proton mail (free) is a great Swiss company (or GMX). They not only do not spy, but like DuckDuckGo they do not sell your history either.

ESET Works For Me....

:)