• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

https://www.discerningtheworld.com/2014/11/28/got-questions/

Who is Got Questions?

I'm not posting this to debate , a simple yes or no would be fine..

Why or why not will you use this website  to answer questions from other people ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

19 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Who is Got Questions?

Why or why not will you use this website  to answer questions from other people ?

It's a pretty good site but when someone asks what I believe or poses a question I prefer to answer in my own words with my own thoughts.  Just throwing a website at someone's question seems like giving someone else's answer, not your own.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

I went onto discerningtheworld.com and skimmed a few articles.  It appears that I am probably not a Christian, am in need of salvation and deliverance, and probably need to throw away most of reference books.  I also need to run quickly away from my church because my pastor has laid hands on me when praying for me.  This site seems to have the view that they have a monopoly on the truth.

I skimmed a number of articles on gotquestions.org and found most to be well written.  The biggest drawback however is that some articles are sectarian in nature.  I doubt most young believers would realize that they might be adopting some highly sectarian views by reading particular articles.  It's too bad that the owners of the site chose to dig in to their opinion on certain points rather than clearly presenting the range of views on topics which Christians have honest disagreements.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't use either one.  I figure that if I don't have a good answer to a question, I want to research it myself first.  I like to see what the real range of views among serious Christians is, study it myself, and then become comfortable with understanding the topic.  I'll then answer it in my own words.  My real goal in answering questions is to help people get closer to God, help them grow in wisdom and maturity, and put down unnecessary factions and divisions in the body of Christ.  I do my research and responding with those spiritual goals in mind.  The sites that I will at times reference are usually those that contain more factual information and seem to be good general references.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

It is the Cheese Whiz of commentaries, a kind of Cliff Notes crib sheet, for Christians to use as a crutch and unfortunately to turn in as their own thesis work rather than study the word of God, think, and pray to God for wisdom then ask the Holy Spirit for help and  guidance in sharing conclusions for further consideration. 

It unfortunately serves to cripple the saints in Christ Jesus that end up relying on it instead of doing the harder work, the rewarding work of spending time with God and His word.

It is like going to a collection of Readers Digest Condensed books for a shallow watering  of information and entertainment instead of reading an author's fully developed hard work toiled over  to weave a detailed tale or enlightenment. 

It is pronouncement more than reference,  and to me is used more often in a manner designed to shut out discussion  than to encourage learning.

It does almost nothing to encourage critical thinking and application of  God's word, least the Holy Spirit never brings to my own mind the declarations of Got Questions instead of passages of God's word the Bible when I am in prayer and or have situations where I need  my LORD"S directive andguidance.

Other than that, I  like it.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

13 hours ago, angels4u said:

Who is Got Questions?

I had never heard about this website before Angels. Thanks for asking.

It has been good to read what others have said about it too.

Blessings:)

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 minutes ago, Annette said:

I had never heard about this website before Angels. Thanks for asking.

It has been good to read what others have said about it too.

Don't know if it is appropriate to point out, but you do have a wonderfully useful skill that you have obviously honed well. Almost brings me into the sin  of envy, except that it is such a pleasure to read the comments and writings of thought of someone that is without exception always dead on positive.

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Don't know if it is appropriate to point out, but you do have a wonderfully useful skill that you have obviously honed well. Almost brings me into the sin  of envy, except that it is such a pleasure to read the comments and writings of thought of someone that is without exception always dead on positive.

Thank you Neighbor, I appreciate the encouragement. I love that we can all learn from one another.

If I think about it, I owe a lot to my mom, she was one of the most gracious people I knew. 

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

14 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

They are a good solid website, from a theological stand point. 

They are but I was disappointed to read their strong stand on their doctrine :(  ( not saying this to debate )