• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

13 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I went onto discerningtheworld.com and skimmed a few articles.  It appears that I am probably not a Christian, am in need of salvation and deliverance, and probably need to throw away most of reference books.  I also need to run quickly away from my church because my pastor has laid hands on me when praying for me.  This site seems to have the view that they have a monopoly on the truth.

I skimmed a number of articles on gotquestions.org and found most to be well written.  The biggest drawback however is that some articles are sectarian in nature.  I doubt most young believers would realize that they might be adopting some highly sectarian views by reading particular articles.  It's too bad that the owners of the site chose to dig in to their opinion on certain points rather than clearly presenting the range of views on topics which Christians have honest disagreements.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't use either one.  I figure that if I don't have a good answer to a question, I want to research it myself first.  I like to see what the real range of views among serious Christians is, study it myself, and then become comfortable with understanding the topic.  I'll then answer it in my own words.  My real goal in answering questions is to help people get closer to God, help them grow in wisdom and maturity, and put down unnecessary factions and divisions in the body of Christ.  I do my research and responding with those spiritual goals in mind.  The sites that I will at times reference are usually those that contain more factual information and seem to be good general references.

Would they believe we are saved if we don't agree with their doctrine?

Guest shiloh357
5 minutes ago, angels4u said:

They are but I was disappointed to read their strong stand on their doctrine :(  ( not saying this to debate )

Ah, I didn't realize they were defending Calvinism...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, angels4u said:

They are but I was disappointed to read their strong stand on their doctrine :(  ( not saying this to debate )

i was just reading their statement of faith    seen nothing pointing toward calvinism   .. is there something i am over looking?  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Yeah I think GotQuestions.org is a great resource. They stick with God's Word and are really good at comparing scripture to scripture. I don't know if they are calvinists or not. I read through their statement of faith and it seems pretty legitimate to me and I don't see Calvinist leanings in the statement. I guess if one really wants to know send them an email and ask. I am sure they will let you know. 

I just sent them an email and I will get back with you when I get a response.

i  have used qot question in study. i use a wide variety  of commentates. i also google   subjects     . a example i might do a search on abundant life  . granted you will  find things that  are in left field  so to speak..  i did a search one time on a lively hope  came up with a dynamite  title for  a message  a living hope by a living God  .  a person just has to use caution  in your search.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

4 minutes ago, the watchman said:

i  have used qot question in study. i use a wide variety  of commentates. i also google   subjects     . a example i might do a search on abundant life  . granted you will  find things that  are in left field  so to speak..  i did a search one time on a lively hope  came up with a dynamite  title for  a message  a living hope by a living God  .  a person just has to use caution  in your search.  

You are absolutely correct. No site is perfect. These sites should never take the place of God's Word. They are there to help us in our study. Too many people though (and I know some in our own church) use websites to support their beliefs versus God's Words supporting their beliefs and the websites are only a source of help. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I have used it many times, from a Biblical standpoint, they seem pretty good.

I think what I like most about them is that they are usually easy to understand, they don't use big words to sound important, and they usually back up their conclusion with verses from the Bible. I don't agree with everything they say on a theological level, but that usually boils down to a matter of opinion and interpretation, and who knows, my opinion/interpretation might be the one in error.

Too many websites describe simple concepts in such a way that I need a dictionary to  figure out what they are talking about. 

5 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

to support their beliefs

i can  honestly say my belief  has come from study  . i have studied out southern baptist  i am ordained through the gen baptist.  they are a pretty free denom  for the most.  i think some of the Pentecostals have good teachings..  some areas i disagree with  .the Biggest problem we face   is if gma or gpa said it then it must be true. study t out for your self 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

42 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Would they believe we are saved if we don't agree with their doctrine?

The discerningtheworld.com site seems rather ..um.. set in their ways.. to put it politely.  Here's a quote from their site on their "seeking salvation or deliverance" page link.

"This is for anyone; those who think they are Christian but are not sure, those who are Charismatic, Pentecostal (believing in Baptism of the Holy Spirit by sign of gifts, ie., speaking in tongues), Zionist (ZCC church), Anglican, Catholic, Calvinist, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witnesses etc. Those in the Occult / New Age, Wiccan, Pagan or an unbeliever be that an atheist, agnostic etc. Or if you are Hindu, Buddhist, or Muslim etc."

Further reading of the site suggests that this is NOT a typo.  This seems to be close to what they believe.  Calvinists, charismatics, pentecostals, and others are lumped in with pagans, atheists, and agnostics.

As for gotquestions.org, their statement of belief is quite mainstream.  However, some of their articles present a single side to some questions without mentioning that other Christians hold differing views.  Looking through their top articles, I found the following.   Young earth creationism, 5 point calvinism, eternal security, and a practical form of cessationism.   I think that many good Christians of good conscience hold those views; and I think that many good Christians of good conscience disagree with those views.  

Do the writers of these articles question the Christianity of those who disagree?  I have no clue.  I've met 5 point calvinists that are quite pleasant and recognize the weaknesses in their position and hold it as a "well, it's slightly more biblical than the alternatives" position; I've met others that view any variation from it as heresy that needs to be put down as quickly and forcefully as possible with a condescending "let me explain TULIP to you once again".

My assertion is that one-sided articles are not education, they are indoctrination.  Unfortunately, young believers with questions will not be able to distinguish which articles would represent answers that almost all Christians would agree with versus those that would be debated vigorously.  I think that it is somewhat disingenuous to present oneself as giving good answers but refusing to acknowledge when some of those answers would be disagreed with by other Christians.  Frankly, this is a criticism I would level at a lot of churches, denominations, and individuals.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

21 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

The discerningtheworld.com site seems rather ..um.. set in their ways.. to put it politely.  Here's a quote from their site on their "seeking salvation or deliverance" page link.

"This is for anyone; those who think they are Christian but are not sure, those who are Charismatic, Pentecostal (believing in Baptism of the Holy Spirit by sign of gifts, ie., speaking in tongues), Zionist (ZCC church), Anglican, Catholic, Calvinist, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witnesses etc. Those in the Occult / New Age, Wiccan, Pagan or an unbeliever be that an atheist, agnostic etc. Or if you are Hindu, Buddhist, or Muslim etc."

Further reading of the site suggests that this is NOT a typo.  This seems to be close to what they believe.  Calvinists, charismatics, pentecostals, and others are lumped in with pagans, atheists, and agnostics.

As for gotquestions.org, their statement of belief is quite mainstream.  However, some of their articles present a single side to some questions without mentioning that other Christians hold differing views.  Looking through their top articles, I found the following.   Young earth creationism, 5 point calvinism, eternal security, and a practical form of cessationism.   I think that many good Christians of good conscience hold those views; and I think that many good Christians of good conscience disagree with those views.  

Do the writers of these articles question the Christianity of those who disagree?  I have no clue.  I've met 5 point calvinists that are quite pleasant and recognize the weaknesses in their position and hold it as a "well, it's slightly more biblical than the alternatives" position; I've met others that view any variation from it as heresy that needs to be put down as quickly and forcefully as possible with a condescending "let me explain TULIP to you once again".

My assertion is that one-sided articles are not education, they are indoctrination.  Unfortunately, young believers with questions will not be able to distinguish which articles would represent answers that almost all Christians would agree with versus those that would be debated vigorously.  I think that it is somewhat disingenuous to present oneself as giving good answers but refusing to acknowledge when some of those answers would be disagreed with by other Christians.  Frankly, this is a criticism I would level at a lot of churches, denominations, and individuals.

Good analysis and I agree completely.  

• Thumbs Up 1