• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

4 minutes ago, TheAimes said:

but sometimes I'm depressed. Just sayin'

Me too, and I have noticed what makes me better is to remember of God's Word and to seek for His help.

It is like this (sample mental conversation):

I am feeling depressed... When I feel like this I feel I am useless.

You know, you ask His help and this is solved immediately.

OK, I know... But I'll postpone it and keep on depression.

Hours later... Do you really like to live like this? Ask now and be full of joy.

OK, accepted... I want this horrible feeling to go away and want be full of joy in Jesus' name.

Then good things come to mind, I remember how much He loves me and I am happy.

Some may think it is just a "psychological" issue and that I was not really depressed, you can give the excuse you want. But I believe it is power of God, good things have to be put in practice.

God bless you!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

Me too, and I have noticed what makes me better is to remember of God's Word and to seek for His help.

It is like this (sample mental conversation):

I am feeling depressed... When I feel like this I feel I am useless.

You know, you ask His help and this is solved immediately.

OK, I know... But I'll postpone it and keep on depression.

Hours later... Do you really like to live like this? Ask now and be full of joy.

OK, accepted... I want this horrible feeling to go away and want be full of joy in Jesus' name.

Then good things come to mind, I remember how much He loves me and I am happy.

Some may think it is just a "psychological" issue and that I was not really depressed, you can give the excuse you want. But I believe it is power of God, good things have to be put in practice.

God bless you!

I'm glad that you can praise your way out of discouragement, I also believe there is power in praise. 

However, I've been told this and similar things by many people before, but to be completely real with you, sometimes depression isn't as easy as "praising your way out". Not negating the power of the Lord to heal and deliver because He definitely has touched me and healed me from various seasons of depression but sometimes it isn't as simple as thinking something and being happy again.  I think it's a difficult topic to explain to someone who's never truly been there, not trying to be offensive at all with that statement. I truly believe the Lord heals depression and restores joy, He has done so for me; but there were serious seasons of severe depression that I walked through and it wasn't as simple as changing the way you think. I believe the Father allowed me to walk through those seasons of severe depression for a purpose. It's given me an understanding for others who battle similar things that many who've never been there will never understand. We need to be careful as believers not to make it seem like those who suffer with depression or mental illness are simply lacking appropriate praise or faith. I remember during one difficult time period in my life I had went to a service and was seeking the Lord for help and spoke with one of the Pastor's following the service (for me to do this would tell anyone who knows how dreadfully dark of a place I was in as I don't share these things freely with most people) and all the Pastor said was "well you're either not living right or not thanking the Lord enough" .... how incredibly awful of a thing to say to someone who is struggling to just exist. 

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/13/2017 at 7:20 PM, missmuffet said:

A mental illness is a serious illness and imbalance of the brain. It has nothing to do with demons or being possessed. Like other parts of our body which has an illness such as diabetes or thyroid problems the brain also is vulnerable to illnesses. A person who has a serious mental illness needs to see a psychiatrist for further evaluation. It is very cruel for the Christian world to think that a person who has a mental illness is "possessed".

I totally agree that it is very wrong for Christians to assume that every person with mental illness is possessed.  However, I believe that some form of mental illnesses are caused by demons, depending on what they got themselves involved in spiritually over the course of their lives.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Couppy said:

I totally agree that it is very wrong for Christians to assume that every person with mental illness is possessed.  However, I believe that some form of mental illnesses are caused by demons, depending on what they got themselves involved in spiritually over the course of their lives.

A mental illness is 100% a medical illness and not a demon possession. Are some people who are not believers possessed? I don't know but it has nothing to do with a mental illness.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

On 10/14/2017 at 4:08 AM, TheAimes said:

I'm glad that you can praise your way out of discouragement, I also believe there is power in praise. 

However, I've been told this and similar things by many people before, but to be completely real with you, sometimes depression isn't as easy as "praising your way out". Not negating the power of the Lord to heal and deliver because He definitely has touched me and healed me from various seasons of depression but sometimes it isn't as simple as thinking something and being happy again.  I think it's a difficult topic to explain to someone who's never truly been there, not trying to be offensive at all with that statement. I truly believe the Lord heals depression and restores joy, He has done so for me; but there were serious seasons of severe depression that I walked through and it wasn't as simple as changing the way you think. I believe the Father allowed me to walk through those seasons of severe depression for a purpose. It's given me an understanding for others who battle similar things that many who've never been there will never understand. We need to be careful as believers not to make it seem like those who suffer with depression or mental illness are simply lacking appropriate praise or faith. I remember during one difficult time period in my life I had went to a service and was seeking the Lord for help and spoke with one of the Pastor's following the service (for me to do this would tell anyone who knows how dreadfully dark of a place I was in as I don't share these things freely with most people) and all the Pastor said was "well you're either not living right or not thanking the Lord enough" .... how incredibly awful of a thing to say to someone who is struggling to just exist. 

also when others around me need me to be ok that puts so much pressure on me it makes the depression worse. try as i might i cant seem to get beyond and then someone will say that i am doing it in my own strength! so which way is up? i do keep putting these really bad episodes at the cross but its like a conveyor belt of depression. so the other option is to keep fiendishly busy and sleep that is the season i am in at the mo.

had to come off medication as it nearly finished me last year. too scared to trust medication again. at best its not worked at worst it is not quite been destructive.

Edited by existential mabel
  • Loved it! 1

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

A mental illness is 100% a medical illness and not a demon possession. Are some people who are not believers possessed? I don't know but it has nothing to do with a mental illness.

Demon possession can lead to mental illness.  I am not stating that many forms of mental illnesses are not a medical illness.  Maybe we need to look how we define mental illness.  From my point of view mental illness is anything other than a sound mind.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 minutes ago, Couppy said:

Demon possession can lead to mental illness.  I am not stating that many forms of mental illnesses are not a medical illness.  Maybe we need to look how we define mental illness.  From my point of view mental illness is anything other than a sound mind.

I think the definition of what is mental illness has been established. It is very sad when a person tells someone who is mentally ill that they are possessed. It is cruel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

On 10/14/2017 at 2:09 AM, TheAimes said:

They are two very different things. There is demonic possession and oppression, which will mimic some things we see in mental illness, but it is not the same as mental illness in my opinion. Sometimes due to chemical imbalances, health issues, or trauma our brains simply become unhealthy and therefore we have mental illness. It shouldn't be assumed that someone who suffers from a mental illness is demonically possessed or even oppressed. I think this teaching in the church keeps a majority of it's members who suffer from mental illness (no matter the degree) from seeking the help they need. I mean, often they can't even mention that they're depressed without being lambasted with the whole "Christian's shouldn't ever be depressed" statements.

I'm a Christian, I love Jesus with all I am, but sometimes I'm depressed. Just sayin'  

I know what it means for someone to be affected by mental illness. Christians can be very helpful by seeking medical help for those affected as soon as possible.  Sometimes we assume that our own faith will heal the other person and therefore feel tempted to ask them to continue praying.  If they do not have the faith to do so, take them to the hospital immediately. 

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I think the definition of what is mental illness has been established. It is very sad when a person tells someone who is mentally ill that they are possessed. It is cruel.

It is wrong to state to someone who is mentally ill that they are possessed unless that Christian has the gift of discernment of spirits.  They should seek help immediately.  If a Christian thinks someone is possessed they can pray for them but not deny them medical help.  It is a serious illness.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

Hi I'm on antidepressants due to suaside attemp it was not a cry for help i lost my business and this was the only way out however I would not say I was demon poscessed that is just stupid 

• Thumbs Up 1