• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Sinbad said:

Hi I'm on antidepressants due to suaside attemp it was not a cry for help i lost my business and this was the only way out however I would not say I was demon poscessed that is just stupid 

I agree.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

9 minutes ago, Couppy said:

It is wrong to state to someone who is mentally ill that they are possessed unless that Christian has the gift of discernment of spirits.  They should seek help immediately.  If a Christian thinks someone is possessed they can pray for them but not deny them medical help.  It is a serious illness.

What is a gift of discernment of spirits?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21

9 hours ago, existential mabel said:

also when others around me need me to be ok that puts so much pressure on me it makes the depression worse. try as i might i cant seem to get beyond and then someone will say that i am doing it in my own strength! so which way is up? i do keep putting these really bad episodes at the cross but its like a conveyor belt of depression. so the other option is to keep fiendishly busy and sleep that is the season i am in at the mo.

had to come off medication as it nearly finished me last year. too scared to trust medication again. at best its not worked at worst it is not quite been destructive.

I’ll be praying for you! I personally never took anti depressants, though I probably should’ve. I know the Lord can heal from severe depression, He’s done it for me. I remember the “stay busy” method and still use it myself sometimes when I’m in a difficult season. If I’m busy then I don’t have time to dwell on things and if I’m not dwelling then I usually don’t get discouraged. I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this, I truly understand how difficult these seasons can be. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

20 hours ago, missmuffet said:

What is a gift of discernment of spirits?

The gift of discerning of spirits is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit as in 1 Corinthians 12:7-10

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,  to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues."

It is the spiritual gifts that some Christians have to discern when the devil is in operation and in disguise.  They can easily read what it is real from God and what is not.  We all have this gift to a certain level but some have been given a higher level of operation by the Spirit of God.  The purpose is for the edification of the Church.  The development of this gift in the hand of a Christian is a powerful weapon and there is no hiding place for the devil within the congregation.  The gift can help both Christians and non-Christians.  It cannot be operated at individual's will or by individual's instinct!

Edited by Couppy
use of appropriate word.
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, lightmyway said:

I’m new to this forum. I’m interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about and we must do what they say. But there is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. The fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

I was once diagnosed with a mental disorder. I was told by my Christian friends at the time that my brain is sick. If Christians believe this ideology, what is the name of the theory that proves mental disorder is a biochemical imbalance of the brain?  Why did Jesus deliver people from demons and preach on this? If demons don't interact with people in any way.

I am not a doctor.  You've got some very good advice here.  My one caveat is to stay away from ECT.  I've seen the harmful effects to a Christian lady who was just mildly depressed.  After several "sessions", she walked around in a daze and lost much of her memory.  Personally, I don't believe ECT is ever the answer.  But as I said, I am not a doctor.  Christians mean well, but we don't always have all the answers.  If it is a spiritual thing, find a good minister to talk it over with.  If it is a medical issue, there are a number of medicines to alleviate most of the symptoms you might be feeling.  Don't self-medicate.  That has disaster written all over it.  And if you do go on medication, you don't want to start and stop quickly as there maybe adverse side effects.  I have epilepsy and had to ramp up to the dose I take now.  Be aware though, there are side effects with every medication you take, and maybe even side effects from a certain combination of drugs.  But I am not a minister or a doctor.  I will be praying for you.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, TheAimes said:

I'm glad that you can praise your way out of discouragement, I also believe there is power in praise. 

However, I've been told this and similar things by many people before, but to be completely real with you, sometimes depression isn't as easy as "praising your way out". Not negating the power of the Lord to heal and deliver because He definitely has touched me and healed me from various seasons of depression but sometimes it isn't as simple as thinking something and being happy again.  I think it's a difficult topic to explain to someone who's never truly been there, not trying to be offensive at all with that statement. I truly believe the Lord heals depression and restores joy, He has done so for me; but there were serious seasons of severe depression that I walked through and it wasn't as simple as changing the way you think. I believe the Father allowed me to walk through those seasons of severe depression for a purpose. It's given me an understanding for others who battle similar things that many who've never been there will never understand. We need to be careful as believers not to make it seem like those who suffer with depression or mental illness are simply lacking appropriate praise or faith. I remember during one difficult time period in my life I had went to a service and was seeking the Lord for help and spoke with one of the Pastor's following the service (for me to do this would tell anyone who knows how dreadfully dark of a place I was in as I don't share these things freely with most people) and all the Pastor said was "well you're either not living right or not thanking the Lord enough" .... how incredibly awful of a thing to say to someone who is struggling to just exist. 

Something similar happened to my wife and I. 

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 10/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, lightmyway said:

I’m new to this forum. I’m interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about and we must do what they say. But there is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. The fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

I was once diagnosed with a mental disorder. I was told by my Christian friends at the time that my brain is sick. If Christians believe this ideology, what is the name of the theory that proves mental disorder is a biochemical imbalance of the brain?  Why did Jesus deliver people from demons and preach on this? If demons don't interact with people in any way.....

:emot-heartbeat:

Beloved~! 

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, and the flame will not scorch you. Isaiah 43:2 (New Heart English Bible)

Stand Fast~!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, a whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 2:2-4 (New International Version)

~

Love, Your Brother Joe

• This is Worthy 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02

On 10/13/2017 at 7:20 PM, missmuffet said:

A mental illness is a serious illness and imbalance of the brain. It has nothing to do with demons or being possessed. Like other parts of our body which has an illness such as diabetes or thyroid problems the brain also is vulnerable to illnesses. A person who has a serious mental illness needs to see a psychiatrist for further evaluation. It is very cruel for the Christian world to think that a person who has a mental illness is "possessed".

Have nothing to do with the psyche people. It is based on Freud and Jung and other godless sources. Freud and Jung were occultists.

Coupled with the social services, who are steeped in psyche 'sciences', much damage is done every day be these 'experts'. I have yet to come across any of these offices that has any kind of Christian approach.

We sold out to these entities and that is one reason all in our families has gone so terribly wrong.

The powerless church looks the other way... 

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I believe many of the mental illness today, are really demon-based in nature.

Still, there might be some cases when the sickness is truly mental.

It all depends on discernment, I guess.

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02

P.s. Many churches have Psyche departments. YUK.