Christian beliefs on mental disorder

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I’m new to this forum. I’m interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about and we must do what they say. But there is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. The fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

I was once diagnosed with a mental disorder. I was told by my Christian friends at the time that my brain is sick. If Christians believe this ideology, what is the name of the theory that proves mental disorder is a biochemical imbalance of the brain?  Why did Jesus deliver people from demons and preach on this? If demons don't interact with people in any way..

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

On 10/9/2017 at 10:49 PM, lightmyway said:

I’m new to this forum. I’m interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about and we must do what they say. But there is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. The fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

I was once diagnosed with a mental disorder. I was told by my Christian friends at the time that my brain is sick. If Christians believe this ideology, what is the name of the theory that proves mental disorder is a biochemical imbalance of the brain?  Why did Jesus deliver people from demons and preach on this? If demons don't interact with people in any way..

Abby replied with insight and wisdom.

I do not have much of either, but I do have experiences that may help.

When you ask about 'sever mental disorder' are you meaning a medically diagnosed issue? Or a social sciences defined issue? Or something that is observable and aberrant like self mutilation that might be a combination of issues?

It has been a catch-all for some of the social services to even call one a sociopath if they have three of the seven traits listed in their books.

It is not understood that psychiatry is NOT an exact science, like say a Neuro-Surgeon or OB-GYN doctor.

The jury is still out on many of the 'mental' disorders and the science of the mind undergoes changes quite frequently.

Our western society is still a very nuts-and-bolts physical type of society. Other places in the world are either in denial of psyche issues entirely or are very 'spiritual' and are far more likely to ascribe spiritual issues to mental health problems.

Because there is rarely a 'spiritual side' to most western text books written about the human psyche, there is also little to link the two together in the real world of medicine.

The fact that there is a difference of opinion about a mental diagnosis, probably reveals that the science of the psyche is not definitive, and not provable by the normally established scientific method. 

The doctors are ill equipped for this and will prescribe medications that may help. It is a bit of a shotgun approach, and works for some people. But for a really complete diagnosis, controlled studies are required PLUS a very good look at the possible spiritual components.

There are many demons behind our ills as a society. And even if you can isolate and get rid of them, there are thousands of people that suffer from the results of those demons way into their future.
If satanic forces caused certain events in your life, you may be rid of those forces, but not of their effects for years to come. You may not ever be free of the horrible memories of what happened.
Take the old adage that hurt people hurt people and you will get the picture. It is a perpetual sadness.

Remember what Yeshua said: take care that the now cleaned house is not revisited by that original demon who will bring seven more worse demons with him if he is allowed to return to an empty place.
It is sad to say that the churches I am familiar with are afraid to confront the demons in their midst.
This tends to make them powerless in most of the spiritual areas of their congregations' lives.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

56 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Abby replied with insight and wisdom.

I do not have much of either, but I do have experiences that may help.

When you ask about 'sever mental disorder' are you meaning a medically diagnosed issue? Or a social sciences defined issue? Or something that is observable and aberrant like self mutilation that might be a combination of issues?

It has been a catch-all for some of the social services to even call one a sociopath if they have three of the seven traits listed in their books.

It is not understood that psychiatry is NOT an exact science, like say a Neuro-Surgeon or OB-GYN doctor.

The jury is still out on many of the 'mental' disorders and the science of the mind undergoes changes quite frequently.

Our western society is still a very nuts-and-bolts physical type of society. Other places in the world are either in denial of psyche issues entirely or are very 'spiritual' and are far more likely to ascribe spiritual issues to mental health problems.

Because there is rarely a 'spiritual side' to most western text books written about the human psyche, there is also little to link the two together in the real world of medicine.

The fact that there is a difference of opinion about a mental diagnosis, probably reveals that the science of the psyche is not definitive, and not provable by the normally established scientific method. 

The doctors are ill equipped for this and will prescribe medications that may help. It is a bit of a shotgun approach, and works for some people. But for a really complete diagnosis, controlled studies are required PLUS a very good look at the possible spiritual components.

There are many demons behind our ills as a society. And even if you can isolate and get rid of them, there are thousands of people that suffer from the results of those demons way into their future.
If satanic forces caused certain events in your life, you may be rid of those forces, but not of their effects for years to come. You may not ever be free of the horrible memories of what happened.
Take the old adage that hurt people hurt people and you will get the picture. It is a perpetual sadness.

Remember what Yeshua said: take care that the now cleaned house is not revisited by that original demon who will bring seven more worse demons with him if he is allowed to return to an empty place.
It is sad to say that the churches I am familiar with are afraid to confront the demons in their midst.
This tends to make them powerless in most of the spiritual areas of their congregations' lives.

Thank you so much for this... 

God bless your soul, Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02

Josah. I rarely ever do this, but here is a video you might watch all the way thru. (from Denaldii)

[youtube.com/watch?v=zka4DUYeJ5g&feature=youtu.be] Just put the 'www.' in front of the quote.

There is specific mention of healings from schizoid issues. I personally, way back when, saw some pretty amazing things along with healings like in the video. Do not let anyone scare you with stories of fake ministries. See for yourself.
Yeshua, Jesus, came to ordinary people and not necessarily to just bishops and church denominations. Often the established church is so rigid that the Power of God offends their council, so rocking the ecumenical boat is seen as heresy or grave error.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

A mental illness is a serious illness and imbalance of the brain. It has nothing to do with demons or being possessed. Like other parts of our body which has an illness such as diabetes or thyroid problems the brain also is vulnerable to illnesses. A person who has a serious mental illness needs to see a psychiatrist for further evaluation. It is very cruel for the Christian world to think that a person who has a mental illness is "possessed".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

There are many different types of mental illness, and most of them are not well understood. One reason for that is that it's much more difficult to do research on the brain without damaging it than on most other organs of the body. And we haven't yet discovered a blood test to help diagnose any mental disorder.

What we DO know is that many medical treatments do actually work in a high proportion of cases (I'm thinking mainly of drugs and ECT here). There are also many people with milder forms of mental illness who have been helped by counselling or some form of psychotherapy.

For example: several decades ago I had severe depression. I do not believe that in my case it was due to demonic possession. It was caused by a chemical imbalance in my brain, and the antidepressants prescribed by my psychiatrist made me better. After a couple of years I was able to stop taking them, and I have never had a relapse (praise God!).

But it's perfectly possible for some cases of mental illness to be caused by demonic activity; I wouldn't dismiss that altogether.

The conditions that we call "depression" and "schizophrenia" aren't really distinct illnesses (like "appendicitis") but labels for symptoms. This is why drugs will work wonders for some people with depression, but make other people feel worse. Their symptoms may be similar, but the underlying cause isn't the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

There are many different types of mental illness, and most of them are not well understood. One reason for that is that it's much more difficult to do research on the brain without damaging it than on most other organs of the body. And we haven't yet discovered a blood test to help diagnose any mental disorder.

What we DO know is that many medical treatments do actually work in a high proportion of cases (I'm thinking mainly of drugs and ECT here). There are also many people with milder forms of mental illness who have been helped by counselling or some form of psychotherapy.

For example: several decades ago I had severe depression. I do not believe that in my case it was due to demonic possession. It was caused by a chemical imbalance in my brain, and the antidepressants prescribed by my psychiatrist made me better. After a couple of years I was able to stop taking them, and I have never had a relapse (praise God!).

But it's perfectly possible for some cases of mental illness to be caused by demonic activity; I wouldn't dismiss that altogether.

The conditions that we call "depression" and "schizophrenia" aren't really distinct illnesses (like "appendicitis") but labels for symptoms. This is why drugs will work wonders for some people with depression, but make other people feel worse. Their symptoms may be similar, but the underlying cause isn't the same.

There are imaging tests such as a PET scan but sometimes those do not prove accurate. No, there are no blood tests only observation. That is why many have been falsely diagnosed which can cause problems. Medications that a person should not be on.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

There are imaging tests such as a PET scan but sometimes those do not prove accurate. No, there are no blood tests only observation. That is why many have been falsely diagnosed which can cause problems. Medications that a person should not be on.

Admittedly psychiatry is not my specialty, but I haven't heard of scans being used to diagnose mental illness yet (other than in research programmes).

You're right - there are people on medication who shouldn't be. There are also people not on medication who should be. It all adds up to a lot of unnecessary suffering.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

As a survivor of suaside and ptws I would not call this being demon poscessed however most people never experience war or acts off this nature as it is not normal to every day life don't treat every negative as a demon as this is not the case it's part off being human 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80

They are two very different things. There is demonic possession and oppression, which will mimic some things we see in mental illness, but it is not the same as mental illness in my opinion. Sometimes due to chemical imbalances, health issues, or trauma our brains simply become unhealthy and therefore we have mental illness. It shouldn't be assumed that someone who suffers from a mental illness is demonically possessed or even oppressed. I think this teaching in the church keeps a majority of it's members who suffer from mental illness (no matter the degree) from seeking the help they need. I mean, often they can't even mention that they're depressed without being lambasted with the whole "Christian's shouldn't ever be depressed" statements.

I'm a Christian, I love Jesus with all I am, but sometimes I'm depressed. Just sayin'  

• Thumbs Up 1